Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:21 PM

297 posts, read 841,621 times

Advertisements

My goodness, and there is question re: racism...yikes.

Black neighborhood does not equal Bad.
White neighborhood does not equal Good.

Your best options are to decide on neighborhood characteristics that are important to you and go from there. Do you like artsy areas? Nightclubs & Singles life? Family oriented? Near shopping, etc? Good school district?

These are the things that make a neighborhood work for you...whether or not you will fit in. And that isn't determined by the color of your skin.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 10,100 times
CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT BRIDGEPORT, WE (MY HUSBAND AND i ARE PLANNING TO PURCHASE A HOUSE THERE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE GOODS, THE BADS, AND THE UGLIES?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:21 PM

19 posts, read 118,345 times
part of the problem with that is they were automatically assuming the person with the original question was white. as if only white people look at these message boards.

----
oh, and I live in Rogers Park, western/lunt. In two years, absolutely nothing bad has happened to me. a few of my friends live east of me in Rogers Park, east of clark (the dicier area) and pretty much they've only mentioned the rare come on from a hooker.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRoPaJay View Post
part of the problem with that is they were automatically assuming the person with the original question was white. as if only white people look at these message boards.

----
oh, and I live in Rogers Park, western/lunt.
If you live at Western and Lunt, you live in West Ridge, not Rogers Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHARMACIST75 View Post
CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT BRIDGEPORT, WE (MY HUSBAND AND i ARE PLANNING TO PURCHASE A HOUSE THERE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE GOODS, THE BADS, AND THE UGLIES?
I keep hearing people say that Bridgeport is becoming the next "artist community." I guess I'll have to take their word for it because I don't really see where/how that's happening. Bridgeport is historically the "blue collar city worker" neighborhood, where supposedly lots of cops and firemen and city streets & sanitation workers and what-not live, because both Mayor Daleys originally hail from Bridgeport and in the old days a lot of patronage jobs went to their neighborhood. While the Patronage Machine isn't as strong as it used to be, Bridgeport still retains much of that old-school blue-blood, blue-collar feel. It is not a cutesy, gentrified yuppie playground like much of the North side is -- yet. There's a chance it might become one some day, because it's starting to become an expensive area. Real estate price pressure has moved into the area because of the booming development of the South Loop and UIC areas directly to the north.

If there is one drawback to Bridgeport, it is that there are still some remnants of old-school Chicago racial attitudes there. You will notice that there are very few black people in Bridgeport. That is not an accident; as blacks moved into much of the South side, they were not exactly welcomed into Bridgeport with open arms. Some of the attitudes that kept Bridgeport white still hold sway there. It is a community that is only recently, and somewhat reluctantly, adjusting to contemporary times with regard to ethnic diversity. Mexicans/Hispanics have been able to settle into the area with relatively few difficulties. But you still don't see many blacks there yet; the neighborhood has yet to live down its reputation as a "No Blacks" zone.

Last edited by Drover; 05-07-2007 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-07-2007, 04:08 PM

19 posts, read 118,345 times
i think i know which neighborhood i live in. west rogers park = west ridge. i prefer to just say rogers park because i don't need to be euphemistic about where i live.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRoPaJay View Post
i think i know which neighborhood i live in. west rogers park = west ridge. i prefer to just say rogers park because i don't need to be euphemistic about where i live.
West Rogers Park is not in Rogers Park. The reason why it has a different name is because it is a different neighborhood. If you want to avoid confusion, then you might want to accurately identify the neighborhood you live in.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:40 PM

33 posts, read 122,438 times
Hello all of ya

I wanna move to chicago next year probably

i was thinking of living in South Ridge or Bridgeview or Justice or maybe worth ...

How is these places ?? please any one can help ?

Thank you

Old 05-08-2007, 02:02 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuse_5a View Post
Hello all of ya

I wanna move to chicago next year probably

i was thinking of living in South Ridge or Bridgeview or Justice or maybe worth ...

How is these places ?? please any one can help ?

Thank you
Those are all sw suburbs of chicago, if you like Ted Nugent you'll fit in find down there.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
Those are all sw suburbs of chicago, if you like Ted Nugent you'll fit in find down there.
I get the impression from other posts that Fuse_5a is Middle Eastern and that's why he's looking specifically at that area.

If that's not the case, if you're going to live in the Justice/Worth area, do Blue Island instead. Same general area, much nicer.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post

Now now ... I'm a former south-suburbanite, and I never listened to Ted Nugent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago