Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:35 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRU67 View Post
Now, they're paying 1,900 per month for something they could probably buy for 75k minus a ton of first time buyer incentives.
Thats obviously not true. I'm looking at places in the $325k range that would probably rent for $2-2500 a month
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:15 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Things aren't that black & white. I have a 2 bed/2 bath condo and my monthly mortgage pmt is significantly lower than you could rent the same size unit in the same area. The reason is lending rates are the lowest in history.
What about after you add property tax (yikes) and insurance, and Condo Assesments. (If applicable)

Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I think his general point though is correct. People are behind the times and seem to follow the trend more than common sense. It was silly to buy before when rent was less than half of a mortgage payment. Now rent is significantly more and people are once again slow to adjust. With rates where they are, if there was ever a time to buy its now.

10 years from now it will probably be the opposite. We will be on a continuous rent/buy seesaw until people get smarter. When people get smarter we will get an equilibrium.
And that will never happen.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 PM

43 posts, read 81,263 times
Rents are definitely up. This is happening in most cities right now I believe. Lots of people either cannot afford to buy or cannot get financing, so they have to pay whatever landlords are charging. There's also less supply of rentals due to all the condo conversions/slowed construction activity and there is a fear of buying to boot. It all adds up to higher rents.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:37 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
I guess my landlords are just exceedingly reasonable people seeing how my rent has only gone up 6% in 6 years.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I guess my landlords are just exceedingly reasonable people seeing how my rent has only gone up 6% in 6 years.
If you have a smaller landlord, having a quality tenant is usually worth quite a lot. Churn, damage and missed months of rent can destroy the value of any increase in rent pretty quickly.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
If you have a smaller landlord, having a quality tenant is usually worth quite a lot. Churn, damage and missed months of rent can destroy the value of any increase in rent pretty quickly.
Truth, why I haven't raised my rent and don't plan to. (barring a substantial jump in property tax)

Good tenants that pay on time and take decent care of the place are worth their weight to keep happy. Probably a perk of renting from a private owner as opposed to some corporation.

At the end of a day it's a business, need your customers as much as they need you.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I suppose paying the rent early 60-some times in a row will put you in good graces with your landlord.

I also had the good fortune to find a landlord who bought the building in the 60s -- which is to say, owns the building outright and didn't pay much for it to begin with -- so it doesn't take a lot to get positive cash flow out of it.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:13 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Truth, why I haven't raised my rent and don't plan to. (barring a substantial jump in property tax)

Good tenants that pay on time and take decent care of the place are worth their weight to keep happy. Probably a perk of renting from a private owner as opposed to some corporation.

At the end of a day it's a business, need your customers as much as they need you.
Very true. I had my landlord offer to cut my rent in half so I wouldn't move back home when I lost my job. I never pay late and he has never raised my rent.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,317,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahk View Post
I also followed the advice I'd heard to walk around the neighborhoods and look for 'for rent' signs. I only remember seeing 1, and in a neighborhood too far from work. When I've visited Chicago in the past, I'd see rental signs all over.
I'm not sure what neighborhoods you're looking at, but in the areas where I walk around most frequently -- Lakeview, Lincoln Park -- I'm still seeing plenty of For Rent signs... although I have noticed that some buildings that "always" have vacancies available this time of year don't seem to have any this year.

Although rents are going up all over, due to factors which have already been mentioned, whether or not this year's market is "crazy" likely depends a lot on what part of town you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago