Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:44 PM

22 posts, read 42,796 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm on the verge of landing a job with a company that has two Chicago area offices — one in Northbrook and one in Orland Park. It's looking more likely I'll be working out of the Orland Park office. I'm thrilled to have found something in Chicagoland, but living out in the suburbs isn't exactly what I've had in mind when daydreaming about working and living in the Windy City.

I'll be turning 23 this summer and want an area that reflects my age. I grew up in Milwaukee and attended college there before moving to Beloit, WI for my first job out of school. Beloit's about 15 minutes north of Rockford, IL, right on the stateline border.

My father's originally from Oak Lawn. I've got cousins spread all over Chicago's south and southwestern stretches.

My question: If working in Orland Park (driving to and from) is it at all realistic for me to live in or close to the city?

I know most of the action for 20-somethings is on the north side (Wrigleyville, Lincoln Park, Bucktown, etc...) but it seems like living on the south or southwestern side would make the most sense if working in Orland Park. I know the south side gets a bad rap, but I'm not so ignorant to really believe there's nowhere in that area I'd enjoy living. I've been through Hyde Park and know that's really nice around the University area. Otherwise I'm pretty unfamiliar. I have family in Beverly, but it seems like a place you'd want to raise a family, not necessary a playground for young professionals.

Is there anywhere on the south, southwestern, west side that fits that bill? How long of a commute am I looking at? Taking a quick look at a Google map, I'm not sure what expressway route will be quickest. Any tips?

Right now it takes me about 4 minutes to work. Growing up in Milwaukee, my parents' commute (they worked at the same company) was about 8 minutes. I know I'm looking at something much longer here, but I'm not looking to be stuck in traffic an hour or 1.5 hours.

My dad suggested living half-way between Orland and the city, but I'm not sure how well that'd work. I suppose I'd be happy enough being able to take some form of public transit to and from the city on the weekends. It's hard to do much on week nights anyways, so I guess living in the midst of a young scene isn't completely necessary. But it sure would be nice!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Here's your problem: as you know, the 20-something playground neighborhoods are pretty much all up on the north and northwest sides of the city while Orland Park is a southwest suburb. And there's no escaping the fact that this would be a downright miserable commute, so miserable that in the long run you'd be less miserable living somewhere closer to work and then training it into town on the weekends to play. You could technically live within the city in a neighborhood like Beverly or Mount Greenwood and have a pretty easy commute. But if you know what Oak Lawn is like, then you know what Beverly and Mount Greenwood are like since they're right next to each other. Which is to say, the city's border neighborhoods aren't different enough from the suburbs they border to make it worth the effort to live there for a "city experience." There's a tiny bit of Irish-themed nightlife on Western Avenue in Beverly, but that's really it.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,671,695 times
Being originally from OP I can tell you that even though you'd be making the reverse commute is still going to be in the neighborhood of an hour each / hour 15 (depending how far off Kennedy you are) way.

X-ways, 55 is always a damn parking lot and LaGrange up and back is always dicey.
Take the Ryan to 57 and then shoot down 159th.
You're kind of stuck because there's no easy x-way access. (and 80 to 57 is way far out of the way)

That said, a lot of people I grew up with in Orland simply made the jump from OP over to Frankfort, or the 'hot spot' of Mokena. I don't know what the appeal is, but they seem to like it.

All told, at your age I would regularly make the trip from OP into the city (logan) on the weekends (Down and back twice) for all the shenanigans I could handle. Save your sanity (and car) and live closer to work. Head down to the city once in a while if you like, but give Mokena a shot.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,085,871 times
Live in the city and do the commute.

You are young and what if something happens to the job in orland?

If something does happen to that job then more than likely you would be looking at a job back in the city.

It is a very long commute and that would wear you down.

Taking the ryan to 57 to 159th can be a good route.
This route can be busy at times.

Traditionally there is blocked traffic at the ryan and 57 merge and then it can be bad traveling south on 57 for a long way.

orland is kind of in an awkward spot as there is really not a direct route unless you take METRA.

Mokena is family oriented and so it orland park and tinley park (for the most part)
Your young live in the city.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:35 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Live in the city and do the commute.

You are young and what if something happens to the job in orland?

If something does happen to that job then more than likely you would be looking at a job back in the city.

It is a very long commute and that would wear you down.

Taking the ryan to 57 to 159th can be a good route.
This route can be busy at times.

Traditionally there is blocked traffic at the ryan and 57 merge and then it can be bad traveling south on 57 for a long way.

orland is kind of in an awkward spot as there is really not a direct route unless you take METRA.

Mokena is family oriented and so it orland park and tinley park (for the most part)
Your young live in the city.
So wait -- you're telling him to accept the certainty of a crummy commute now in order to avoid the possibility of a crummy commute later should he lose his job in Orland? How does this make any kind of sense?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:41 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,167,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Being originally from OP I can tell you that even though you'd be making the reverse commute is still going to be in the neighborhood of an hour each / hour 15 (depending how far off Kennedy you are) way.

X-ways, 55 is always a damn parking lot and LaGrange up and back is always dicey.
Take the Ryan to 57 and then shoot down 159th.
You're kind of stuck because there's no easy x-way access. (and 80 to 57 is way far out of the way)

That said, a lot of people I grew up with in Orland simply made the jump from OP over to Frankfort, or the 'hot spot' of Mokena. I don't know what the appeal is, but they seem to like it.

All told, at your age I would regularly make the trip from OP into the city (logan) on the weekends (Down and back twice) for all the shenanigans I could handle. Save your sanity (and car) and live closer to work. Head down to the city once in a while if you like, but give Mokena a shot.
LaGrange Road will be at a complete standstill for the next two years as they are widening it through Orland Park. Also Mokena isn't remotely a hot spot. It's even further out and is a sleepy suburb filled almost exclusively with families. Orland Park is at least packed with restaurants, bars and shopping. Also, Dave and Busters will be opening in a year or so. It's not the city, but there are plenty of places to spend time with other young adults.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:02 AM

You don't have to convince me, I jettisoned for the city as soon as I could.

All I was trying to say is that the city life isn't for everyone, and it's evidenced by how many of my former classmates stayed close to Orland. Very, very few up and moved to the city.
Granted, I'm not trying to pass it off as some super-awesome-party-town, but I'm saying if the OP isn't absolutely 100% on making the commute just to live the city life there are plenty of young people who live down there and (somehow manage) to like it. It's by no means some desolate wasteland (anymore than any other suburb) there are bars and young people hanging out.

Last edited by rparz; 04-14-2012 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 09:49 AM

22 posts, read 42,796 times
Thank you all so much for the input. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Yikes. That is the kind of monster commute I feared. I agree with the majority of you here; spending 2.5 hours in traffic everyday would be unbearable and probably sour me to the whole Chicago experience.

It looks like living close to work and heading into the city when time permits would be a good compromise. I see there is a Metra line servicing OP, so that's good. Looks like about an hour ride to Union Station, though. And I'm not sure when the latest trains run.

Looks like bar hoping downtown until 2 a.m. and then training it back to Orland won't be an option. A taxi fare, I assume, would be egregiously expensive. I suppose that's what friends' couches are for (luckily I know a few folks living in the city and will hopefully meet more).

That said, do you suggest living right there in Orland Park, or can I do as my dad suggested and live somewhere half-way between? He's saying Oak Lawn and Chicago Ridge would be doable. I know he had a good childhood growing up in Oak Lawn, but that was 40 years ago, and it seems whenever I mentioned that area to folks I met in college, I was met with a negative response. "Oh, Oak Lawn, tough area..." I haven't been there since I was about 5, so I have no idea. I know nothing about Chicago Ridge.

I've heard Orland might be out of my price range. I'll be making around 30k, so I'm obviously not going to be buying a condo.

That said, I'm not very accustomed to suburban living. I've always been a city dweller. But the Chicago burbs are certainly busier than the sleep town of 35,000 I find myself in now.

Anywhere that might have something of a "village center" with retail districts (some bars hopefully) and bikeable areas would be good. I guess I could shift this talk over to the Chicago suburb section, but thought I'd continue here if you all are willing.

Thanks again for the advice. This has been a great help.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,167,923 times
Oak Lawn, a tough area? I suppose if you've been hiding in a cave for 30 years. There's nothing at all wrong with Oak Lawn. Whether it's a better choice is hard to say. It's an inner suburb, and is generally walkable, which Orland Park is not. The commute to Orland would typically be about 20 minutes, maybe 25. You could easily drive to Midway from Oak Lawn to catch the Orange Line into the city, not so much from Orland. The Orange Line, (part of the El) runs frequently and late at night, unlike Metra. Also, you can usually drive downtown in a half hour from Oak Lawn, outside of rush hour. Oak Lawn does have a village center. You could walk to bars, restaurants, Starbucks, the library, and a grocery store.

Old 04-14-2012, 11:10 AM

Difference between Oak Lawn / Chicago Ridge and Orland area is that Orland is more affluent. Nicer cars, bigger houses, etc etc. Most housing in Orland was built from the 80's on, while the former is reminiscent of the 50's. (Design and size wise)
Looking at your budget, I can say that Oak Lawn and Chicago Ridge would be more in your budget.
It's not scary in the least. I don't recall hearing about muggings or stabbings or anything of the sort. Maybe a little rougher crowd prone to getting in a bar fight, but there are plenty of cops to make sure things don't get out of control.

Also, look into living in Oak Forest area if you're finding your budget is tight and need something a little more reasonable. Oak Forest is East of Orland, North of Tinley.

OP metra has really limiting hours, I used to ride the Rock Island from Tinley (80th ave) and that was worth the distance difference.

All told, I'd highly recommend against taking a Metra to the city for weekends. Driving is really not that bad. I did it every weekend for four years. You mentioned you could do some couch surfing, so you've got it made in the shade.

Furthermore, growing up in the area, I could do the commute from the North Side to OP no sweat. No, it's not ideal, but I managed to do it for years. (Beats the hell out of cars though) Anything less than 1:30 each way is what I consider doable. I've done OP to Schaumburg, and OP to Wacaunda (before 355) and wanted to blow my brains out. You'll be on the reverse commute, so even if it is about an hour, most of the time you're moving and not in absolute gridlock so it doesn't feel too bad. You'd hit the most resistance from 290 to your place of residence. The rest would move pretty well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago