U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:16 AM

72 posts, read 70,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Nope. Do you know when he began at the Law School? Maybe in 2000 or so. Before that I used to see him in the Loop as a private practitioner. He got in the state senate after years in Hyde Park, first running in '96.
He began teaching there back in 92'. Michelle lived in South Shore before moving into their house on Greenwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:10 PM

3,609 posts, read 6,624,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
He began teaching there back in 92'. Michelle lived in South Shore before moving into their house on Greenwood.
No. I'm not trying to quibble but they lived in a condo at 56th and Everett until about 2004. Then they moved into the Greenwood house.

The larger point is the fact that many black folks move to Hyde Park to be in a middle-income diverse area on the south side. That is a draw.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:04 PM

299 posts, read 237,857 times
I wonder if Obama doesn't win the election will he come back to HP.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:21 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,107,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valpoguy View Post
the genuine racial diversity (which is rare in this highly segregated city)
Quote:
And for educated white people who value diversity in a neighborhood, as well.
It would be one thing if you said you had a personal affinity for black culture (or perhaps for one of the smaller minorities that is also present in HP), but your lecturing tone here makes me wonder if it's more about white guilt.

And of course your use of "educated people" makes me wonder about a few things. Yes, ignorance can be annoying, but also beware of the perils of smugness.

And then there's this person:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptug101 View Post
I think its because white people who are academics and intellectual are more accepting of blks regardless
of blks income level. the type of white people who frequent wicker park and LV/LP will not accept blks as their professional equals like people HP and now the southloop
Yep, it's really that simple.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:48 PM

169 posts, read 277,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
It would be one thing if you said you had a personal affinity for black culture (or perhaps for one of the smaller minorities that is also present in HP), but your lecturing tone here makes me wonder if it's more about white guilt.

No lecturing tone intended, and no guilt. It's a fact that Chicago is highly segregated. It's also a fact that Hyde Park is one of the most racially diverse neighborhoods in the city. The people I've known who have lived there sought it out at least in part for that reason. It's one of the things I like about the neighborhood, as well. I meant nothing more or less by saying that.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,107,753 times
Quote:
No lecturing tone intended, and no guilt. It's a fact that Chicago is highly segregated. It's also a fact that Hyde Park is one of the most racially diverse neighborhoods in the city. The people I've known who have lived there sought it out at least in part for that reason. It's one of the things I like about the neighborhood, as well. I meant nothing more or less by saying that.
fair enough

Old 04-23-2012, 01:26 PM

126 posts, read 90,085 times
Quote:
The larger point is the fact that many black folks move to Hyde Park to be in a middle-income diverse area on the south side. That is a draw.
Long time ago I read an article about the Obamas' network of close friends. I recognized several names from my time at U of C hospital.

They may have moved to Hyde Park partly to be with the people they socialized with, or come to know and love Hyde Park from visiting.

(BTW, a former classmate is now one of their neighbors. He says it's great, they never have to arrange access to their house if work is being done because no one will break even if they leave it unlocked.)

Old 04-23-2012, 08:51 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,364,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahk View Post
Long time ago I read an article about the Obamas' network of close friends. I recognized several names from my time at U of C hospital.
Yep, I'm in the same boat. I know one of the couples the Obamas are close with. No way are we friends, but if I absolutely needed to, I could reach out to them and end up meeting the president.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:47 PM

16 posts, read 15,008 times
When people ask me where I live and I say 'Hyde Park' they generally say something like 'Oh, are you affiliated with the University?' I say 'No, I just really like the area'. They usually look puzzled. Some of them are bold enough to say 'Oh, but aren't there a lot of blacks there?'

The ironic and amusing thing is that most of the people who make said comments are living in some sh#t hole in Logan Square or Albany Park but it's on the north side so that's better right! Oh the irony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago