Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

400 posts, read 957,150 times

Advertisements

Best Kept Secrets?

More like there is more to the city than the super popular areas, a well rounded person should know what the whole city has to offer within reason. If someone has spent a decent amount of time living in Chicago and is completely ignorant of Hyde Park, well that just reflects poorly on that person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 04:00 PM

72 posts, read 143,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I'm on the 'hidden gem' boat. Not many people on the North Side have been down there and realize how nice it is.
That said, part of the reason I like it is because it does seem separated from the city. Imagine if the Lincoln Park / Wrigleyville element moved into the area. It'd totally ruin the unique vibe it has.
and without a doubt this will never happen thanks to the U of C's huge property investment within the neighborhood. As long as U of C remains, Hyde Park will always feel like a "sanctuary". I just hope it stays that way. The only reason people would be down there is because they're affiliated to the University in some way or are visiting their friends of the former. Otherwise, living here is really dull and boring, yet wondrous.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier xerxes View Post
Best Kept Secrets?

More like there is more to the city than the super popular areas, a well rounded person should know what the whole city has to offer within reason. If someone has spent a decent amount of time living in Chicago and is completely ignorant of Hyde Park, well that just reflects poorly on that person.
I've lived here my whole life and Hyde Park was never really a destination.
It wasn't until I had business at the University that I started to see the area and begin to explore it as well.
As Kafka stated, there's not really a reason other than the University or associates to be in the area.
And why should they? The city is big enough that if "it's more than five minutes away, we have one that's closer."

Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
As Kafka stated, there's not really a reason other than the University or associates to be in the area.
Ah, but there are other reasons, which many here would not pick up on. Why else did the Obamas end up in Hyde Park before either had any connection to the university?

The place has been a big attraction for educated minority group members for years. Many have no U of C connection at all. I know personally two Nisei who were interned in Wyoming during WWII and ended up in Hyde Park to stay.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:45 PM

169 posts, read 456,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Ah, but there are other reasons, which many here would not pick up on. Why else did the Obamas end up in Hyde Park before either had any connection to the university?

The place has been a big attraction for educated minority group members for years. Many have no U of C connection at all. I know personally two Nisei who were interned in Wyoming during WWII and ended up in Hyde Park to stay.
Bingo. And for educated white people who value diversity in a neighborhood, as well.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:37 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,298 times
I think its because white people who are academics and intellectual are more accepting of blks regardless
of blks income level. the type of white people who frequent wicker park and LV/LP will not accept blks as their professional equals like people HP and now the southloop

Old 04-18-2012, 03:52 PM

72 posts, read 143,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think you're a bit mistaken -singular Obama not plural. -

U of C Law school sought out to hire him. I think you might be forgetting that he once taught at the Law School.

Respectively, Michelle came to Hyde Park BECAUSE she took a job at the University.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM

289 posts, read 896,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Bucktown are all nice areas but at least they get a lot of recognition why doesn't Hyde Park?
I live at 54th & Drexel. I don't think Hyde Park residents are concerned about the props (or lack thereof) given to the neighborhood. People moved here for a variety of reasons and they all don't include keeping an eye up north. My in-laws live in the south suburbs. Our location allows us to easily get into the city, but it's also faster to reach the south burbs than when we lived in Rogers Park. There are as many or more people who enjoy convenient access to points south as there are who like being close to the Loop. The South Shore train doesn't run every ten minutes like the el, but it's a great way to get to Indiana.

I look forward to the improvements along 53rd Street, but I don't know if they will bring recognition from the outside. If anything, the new restaurants (Five Guys, Clarke's, relocated Pancake House) and stores (Treasure Island) are bringing HP up to par. What's coming to Harper Court? Whole Foods, a gym and a movie theater. Those places weren't built to get people to bail on the same types of businesses in LP. We aren't going to see people adding 53rd Street into their MSI trip. The likely result will be more HP $$ staying in HP. If additional recognition comes then that's just gravy.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:40 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
How to improve Hyde Park? I got it. Resurrect the Maroons' old football program and rejoin the Big Ten (where it was a founding member) while rebuilding Stagg Field.

ok, i'm pipe dreaming. and no one should take this seriously.....but think of the fun at the high powered, presigous u's:

Harvard and Yale end the season together at Cambridge or New Haven

Cal and Stanford end the season together at Berkeley or Palo Alto

turn back the clock and have Chicago and Northwestern end the season together in Hyde Park or Evanston.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,180,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
I think you're a bit mistaken -singular Obama not plural. -

U of C Law school sought out to hire him. I think you might be forgetting that he once taught at the Law School.
Nope. Do you know when he began at the Law School? Maybe in 2000 or so. Before that I used to see him in the Loop as a private practitioner. He got in the state senate after years in Hyde Park, first running in '96.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka_on_the_shore View Post
Respectively, Michelle came to Hyde Park BECAUSE she took a job at the University.
No, you happen to be wrong. They lived here before that. I went to an HBCU and five folks from my years there ended up in Hyde Park. None attended the U of C, either. Muhammad Ali, Dorothy Tucker, Dick Gregory, Harold Washington, Mahalia Jackson -- all ended up in Hyde Park without the benefit of the University of Chicago.

Quote:
Jennifer Hudson sat down after the ceremony to discuss how her life has changed since those "Dreamgirls" days, when she was extolling her love of Denny's grilled-chicken omelets and ice cubes in cereal (because the milk was never cold enough)...

Q: You said years ago that you eventually wanted to live in Hyde Park …

A: And now I have my Weight Watchers center in Hyde Park. (laughs)"

Jennifer Hudson interview about Weight Watchers, Chicago - chicagotribune.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago