Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 01:05 AM

337 posts, read 929,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
And, it does sound like housing vouchers dispersed in areas is the way they're going rather then the high rise apartment complexes.
Which creates its own set of problems:

Did the Destruction of Chicago's Public Housing Decrease Violent Crime, Or Just Move It Elsewhere? - The 312 - April 2012 - Chicago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 06:19 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,209 times
Section 8 is not the answer either. Let's face reality...there's a good percentage of people that use Sec 8 that also seem to use our incarceration facilities as well.
When you have a condo complex or whatever that has a mix of Sec 8 and people that paid market price, that's not a recipe for success.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,456 times
I think Daley and the other powers that be decided that they needed to replace tax-eaters with tax-providers and so decided to attract the middle class and disperse the lower class. It seems to be working pretty well.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I think Daley and the other powers that be decided that they needed to replace tax-eaters with tax-providers and so decided to attract the middle class and disperse the lower class. It seems to be working pretty well.
I think I saw a statistic that per capita income in the city of chicago increased at a much faster rate than the country in the last decade. Part of this was due to the destruction of huge public housing projects and the dispersion of most of those people out of the city.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 AM

337 posts, read 929,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I think I saw a statistic that per capita income in the city of chicago increased at a much faster rate than the country in the last decade.
So did the percentage of the population with a college degree, which points to the overall gentrification trend.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,300,160 times
Quote:
Why Public housing isn't booming in chicago?
Why your sentence is rearranged?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 PM

483 posts, read 1,221,915 times
Quote:
Remember robert taylor homes? Something like 16 high rises for blocks along the ryan. Every single one is gone, demolished in the 2000s.
Last winter, I went to a friend's rap show at the high school right there. DuSable, I want to say. It was midnight and I was standing there on the sidewalk, thinking "12-15 years ago I would probably have a major issue standing here at this time of night". It's night and day how the neighborhood has changed.

To answer the OP: We've tried that already. It seems to create more problems than it fixes. Maybe the new plan will work a little better; since the high rises definitely failed. Or, we could just ship every housing recipient to eastern Iowa, then watch them complain about it on their forum.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Remember robert taylor homes? Something like 16 high rises for blocks along the ryan. Every single one is gone, demolished in the 2000s.
[/quote]Last winter, I went to a friend's rap show at the high school right there. DuSable, I want to say. It was midnight and I was standing there on the sidewalk, thinking "12-15 years ago I would probably have a major issue standing here at this time of night". It's night and day how the neighborhood has changed.[/quote]

Yeah looking back it's kinda crazy how HUGE the Robert Taylor and Stateway were. Matter of fact, that whole area (from like Cermak to 55th between State st. to the Lake) was filled with Public housing. I know that area still has issues but it's come a long way in just 10 years

mas23

Old 04-24-2012, 06:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubs View Post
Why Public housing isn't booming in chicago?
Eh -- it's not exactly a boom industry, is it?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Not my area of expertise, but I'm pretty sure public housing is alive and well in Chicago.

home | Chicago Housing Authority

"CHA is the largest owner of rental housing in the city of Chicago, providing homes to more than 50,000 families and individuals, while supporting healthy communities in neighborhoods all across the city. CHA has more than 9,200 apartments in buildings designated for seniors and over 11,400 units in family and other housing types. It also oversees the administration of 37,000 Housing Choice vouchers that allow low-income families to rent in the private market.
CHA is currently undergoing the Plan for Transformation, the largest and most ambitious redevelopment effort of public housing in the history of the United States. As part of the Plan, CHA will redevelop or rehabilitate its entire stock of public housing."
Yes. And the scattered site housing was something the federal government, and I believe the courts, mandated. High rise public housing wasn't the smartest decision, which decades of living with it demonstrated. As the information in the quote above says, there is a lot of public housing in Chicago. Also a lot of senior housing. And not all apartments are expensive. There's something for each budget level. We may want to live above our means, however, and that makes it difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago