U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM

5 posts, read 5,480 times
Exclamation How Can I Get Away From "The Gangs"?

I work in downtown Chicago, and although I'm saving up so that I can move to a civilized, gun-friendly, Red, Western state (that's slightly redundant, I know ) as soon as possible, I realistically will remain in Chicago for at least two more years.

I've noticed that whenever the weather gets warm, you'll find packs of hoodlums roaming through the entire city. Maybe I'm just glorifying the past, but I seem to recall that the thugs used to at least stay in the bad neighborhoods. Now you can leave your office building in broad daylight, walk around the corner, and find a swarm of twenty rowdy male and female yoofs rioting on the Magnificent Mile.

Or (and this is my particular problem), if the wonderfully creative city planners have decided to relocate a crack nest to you neighborhood, you can find that the one block you have to walk between the bus stop and your apartment is like a stroll through a mid-level circle of hell.

I understand that you're bound to run into undesirables as you travel through the entire city - I have no problem with that. All I want is to be able to go home from work everyday without needing to be in Code Orange as soon as I get off the bus.

Where do you recommend I live? As of now I've been looking at Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, and Edgewater, with Edgewater at the top of my list - it seems affordable and sufficiently "nice". Would you recommend any other places, in or out of the city?

A few additional notes:

1) I have no problem living in the suburbs or on the outskirts of the city, just so long as I have a straightforward commute to Downtown Chicago each day. (an hour-long train ride is fine, but I don't want to deal with 3 or 4 transfers)

2) I would like to have easy access to local activities and nightlife. I've lived in small towns and big cities, so I have no problem living in a town with only a couple of local hangouts, but I don't want to live in pure suburbia. A 10-dollar cab ride to nightlife would be perfectly fine.

-Paul

Last edited by linicx; 04-24-2012 at 01:36 PM..

Old 04-23-2012, 10:53 PM

830 posts, read 1,041,019 times
Whether it is a troll or not, he has valid points. Most people in Chicago dont like the criminal gang-bang thug culture and they dont want it around them. If you are part of that culture, then you are not welcome, and we all want you to go away.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 PM

967 posts, read 1,283,550 times
Naperville
Glen Ellyn
Lombard
Arlington Heights
Wheaton
Palatine
Much safer than what you describe.
best,
toodie

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM

30,023 posts, read 7,328,385 times
Sounds like Chicago or big cities isn't the place for you. I would suggest finding a nice suburb place near a metra stop until you can move to an area better fitting for you. I am being serious, big city living isn't for everyone and you sound very unhappy with where you currently live.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 PM

49 posts, read 46,358 times
Take almost any neighborhood from the South Loop through the North/Northwest Side and you should be fine. You can add the Near West Side, parts of the South Side, and most of the suburbs. There are still some incidents, of course, as in any large city. But if you live in any middle-to-upper-class neighborhood, you are more likely to die at the hands of an aggressive driver (who just has to get to his destination a few seconds faster than everyone else) than a thug. Ditto to injuries.

Disclaimer: I drive, walk, take public transit, and cab almost in equal measure (and occasionally bike), so I am not biased against drivers. But it is useful to keep dangers in perspective.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM

5 posts, read 5,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Sounds like Chicago or big cities isn't the place for you. I would suggest finding a nice suburb place near a metra stop until you can move to an area better fitting for you. I am being serious, big city living isn't for everyone and you sound very unhappy with where you currently live.
Definitely true. The city/area has its charms and conveniences, but many days I just feel like I'm torturing myself for no good reason.

I'm really not exaggerating when I describe my commute from work. Things were reasonable 1-2 years ago ago, but now I have to walk past this craphole each day to get home. I'm a well-built "make my day" type of guy - no problem handling one troublemaker - but I feel like my heart physically can't handle the packs of 10-15 gangbangers that pop up like clockwork around my apartment whenever the weather is warm. Aside from the stress, it's just depressing.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:44 AM

125 posts, read 158,397 times
Default Go North to Northwest or go back in time. See map.

For a sure bet get on the blue line and go north/northwest. After you pass Logan square, with each stop going north/northwest your chances of meeting up with the "cancer" as you describe it, gets less and less.

The same would apply with the Kennedy and Edens Expressways, north of Belmont Avenue.

This applies to the city limits - once you go outside the city the rules change, i'd examine each suburb on a case by case basis as demographics and economics are unique to each population.

This is how it used to be. I found this in another post the other day. I don't know if the link will work but the map is quite interesting.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lg...ojto1_1280.jpg

The city isn't what it used to be. For better or worse, it is what it is.

T

Old 04-24-2012, 06:28 AM

7,433 posts, read 4,823,350 times
Edison park

Old 04-24-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelovek View Post
Definitely true. The city/area has its charms and conveniences, but many days I just feel like I'm torturing myself for no good reason.

I'm really not exaggerating when I describe my commute from work. Things were reasonable 1-2 years ago ago, but now I have to walk past this craphole each day to get home. I'm a well-built "make my day" type of guy - no problem handling one troublemaker - but I feel like my heart physically can't handle the packs of 10-15 gangbangers that pop up like clockwork around my apartment whenever the weather is warm. Aside from the stress, it's just depressing.
This was the same issues that caused me to leave Chicago (I moved away 3 days ago). It used to be great living in the city...until the past summer, when large packs of idiots began coming into Lakeview and harrassing people on ths streets. I would watch them from my window...one innocent guy street parked his car on Belmont, and went into a store...a pack of 5 or 6 thugs went up and sat on the hood of his car, and then began harrassing passers-by...one gay guy walking his little dog walked by and they threatened to kick his dog (!!!).

Three guys in my building last year were beat up...one was beat up on halsted and the other 2 were attacked by a pack of 6 thugs...wow, what real tough guys...takes 6 guys to beat up 2?? Wow, they are so tough...what a bunch of wimps; these losers wouldnt have the guts to go one on one...they always want to attack in packs against smaller targets...they are weak losers and they know it deep inside.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am an urban liiving fanatic; an urban explorer. But the whole idea of urban living is based on the idea that we have racial harmony and can move forward as a multi-racial culture. Otherwise, there is no sense living in a neighborhood that might be walkable and architecturally pleasant, if the other people who hang out there in large packs are ignorant, angry, reverse-racists who hate you because you are white (even though you had nothing to do with racism and your ancestors never owned slaves) and who are violent and looking to gang up on people and start fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago