Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,628 times

Advertisements

We are going to be moving to Chicago from Maine and want to live in the city. Is Lincoln Park a totally snobby neighborhood? We have a ten year old who is very outgoing. Does anyone have experience with the different public schools-Alcott or Lincoln elementary? And does anyone know anything about Parker? Would it be possible to even get a fifth grader into a private school? Any input appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 04:29 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
I think there's some decent schools there but not entirely sure. have you made sure your budget can afford you Lincoln Park? I wouldn't call it SNOBBY as in a bunch of old stuck up people, but it's definitely got a type of entitled feel to it sometimes. Many yuppies live there. Lot of young people who've either just gotten out of college or ones who have been out for less than 5 or 7 years. There are older people there too of course and families

Old 12-05-2012, 06:31 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
I would be extremely cautious about such a move with a child approaching middle school.
Even if you are moving from a similar urban environment like Boston or NYC the unique characteristics of Lincoln Park might make for a tough transition. The sorts of independence that children crave can be hard to adapt to the circumstances of Chicago's most well know residential near north neighborhood. The relative compact nature of Lincoln Park squashed a wide range of people together -- there are a fair number of college students from DePaul in the area, as well as well-off recent grads of some of the better colleges in the country, large numbers of outsiders seeking entertainent / dining , a sizeable population of very well off singles and couples and some families that in the main are quite well to do.
The public schools have wider range of children, many of whom are coming from parts of Chicago that are far less affluent and largely not as safe. If you do choose to investigate private schools like Francis Parker or Latin the costs there will generally mean an extremely affluent set of families and tiny number of students with some kind of financial assistance.

Depending on your reasons for relocation / work situation / goals for your family there may be far more affordable / livable options in both the city itself and a wide range of suburbs that are popular with people who work in Chicago...

Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie.cushman View Post
We are going to be moving to Chicago from Maine and want to live in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
there may be far more affordable / livable options in both the city itself and a wide range of suburbs that are popular with people who work in Chicago...

Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
I think Chet has a text file full of canned first answers, or parts of first answers, no matter what the requirements are.

OP: "I would like a 4 bedroom apartment in the city, not the suburbs. My budget is $4000/month"
Chet: "There are many areas in the suburbs which your budget will fit."

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think Chet has a text file full of canned first answers, or parts of first answers, no matter what the requirements are.

OP: "I would like a 4 bedroom apartment in the city, not the suburbs. My budget is $4000/month"
Chet: "There are many areas in the suburbs which your budget will fit."

Yep. "Now that you've told me where you want to live, I'm going to tell you where you would want to live if you were me instead of you." So helpful.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:33 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
The OP has not indicated where they currently live nor if they are aware that there are many suburbs that have both a traditional grid layout that echoes the pattern of streets inside the city lists as well as a range of commuting options that could very well mean a shorter travel times than living in a far off part of Chicago.

If their interest in Lincoln Park is motivated by a desire to have a leafy traditional area that can ne accommodated in many other areas, some of which would also include excellent schools with little worry about byzantine selection processes.

If the OP currently lives in even Boston or NYC they may not be aware of just how many outsiders typically are in Lincoln Park for the nightlife, shopping, and college age crowd. There are other neighborhoods both inside the city limits and beyond that may be better suited to a relocating family with a school aged child / children. There are a range of neighborhoods beyond Lincoln Park that are both more affordable and offer better options for public schools however the difficulty in the CPS system of both neighborhood admissions and selective enrollment is that the sequence of tests and selections put relocating families at a huge disadvantage. The suburbs are much more sane choice for those who need to enroll their children in a public school that they can sure will not be overcrowded or worse...

If the OP specifically MUST be in Lincoln Park I would assume that they have no need of making any further inquiries.

Funny that the advocates of all things "606xx" are unable to offer any help to the OP. I would gladly accept the challeng of ANY SERIOUS POSTER pointing out ANY INSTANCE in which I have been insensitive to the full range of a relocating families needs....

Last edited by chet everett; 12-06-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-06-2012, 07:31 AM

1,210 posts, read 3,062,217 times
LP isn't really snobby in so much that it's rich. At least if you are a family living/raising kids there you are probably well off. Plenty of middle class people there though.

LP public schools are perfectly fine.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Chet, please try to keep up. OP said they were from Maine, not NYC or Boston.

OP, I would not consider Lincoln Park to be snobby, just upscale. There are probably a few city neighborhoods that are more traditionally family friendly, but there are also plenty of families in a place closer to the loop like Lincoln Park. I am unfamiliar with the school situation, but hopefully some other posters can chime in there.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Lincoln is a very good school. 96% of its students meet and exceed state standardized tests. About 70% exceed those tests.

Alcott has recently seen massive improvement and is good just not as good as Lincoln. 95% of students meet or exceed with 55+% exceeding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago