Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM

5 posts, read 22,694 times

Advertisements

I am a 38 year old single mother with two boys ages 2 and 10. I am considering moving to Chicago, but am concerned about what it might be like to raise my boys there, from both a lifestyle and financial perspective. We are from a small town in TN, but I want them to experience the "city life" and all it has to offer. I have visited Chicago many times and love it, but know that being a tourist versus a resident can be very different. From what I am reading, private school is probably a must. But, we are already in private schools here so I am use to that expense. I am certain that I can't afford any more than $2500-3000 a month on rent (I would not purchase immediately.) So, my questions are is that a reasonable budget for housing in a family friendly yet active community and is Chicago proper a good place to raise two boys (safety, etc)? I'm almost certain that I don't want to live in the suburbs and know I would be working downtown. So, I want to cut commute time as much as possible to free up "family" time. I would prefer not to need my car (for the most part.)

Any suggestions or comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFamilyLife View Post
I am a 38 year old single mother with two boys ages 2 and 10. I am considering moving to Chicago, but am concerned about what it might be like to raise my boys there, from both a lifestyle and financial perspective. We are from a small town in TN, but I want them to experience the "city life" and all it has to offer. I have visited Chicago many times and love it, but know that being a tourist versus a resident can be very different. From what I am reading, private school is probably a must. But, we are already in private schools here so I am use to that expense. I am certain that I can't afford any more than $2500-3000 a month on rent (I would not purchase immediately.) So, my questions are is that a reasonable budget for housing in a family friendly yet active community and is Chicago proper a good place to raise two boys (safety, etc)? I'm almost certain that I don't want to live in the suburbs and know I would be working downtown. So, I want to cut commute time as much as possible to free up "family" time. I would prefer not to need my car (for the most part.)

Any suggestions or comments?

I just moved out of a 3 bedroom, 1 bath coachhouse (with WD, hardwood floors) and paid $1500 in west lakeview. So, yes, you could find a place for that amount. Expenses to consider in chicago (besides food, private school) are gas (unless this is included) which can be up to $200/mn in the winter for a large place, electricity, cable/internet (if wanted), cta pass or parking (parking can be up to $250 in more expensive areas, or street parking in others). I lived in Chicago for 6 years and felt very safe. Other options to consider are Oak Park and Evanston. Both are very close suburbs with reasonable commutes and wouldn't require private school.
I'm sure you would love Chicago, but I'm sure it would be quite a shock!

Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the info. What do you think the biggest "shock" would be? Because we live in a small town now?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:59 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
The biggest shock would probably be just the sheer, unadulterated mass of people. And we're packed together rather tightly. And except for your nearest neighbors, we will generally walk right by you without the slightest interest in you at all, because if we stopped to say "hi" to everyone as we were passing by, we'd never get anything else done.

I think another big shock might be the demeanor of kids, particularly teenagers. This isn't typical "teenage rebellion" type stuff. Kids grow up very quickly here; they are exposed to "adult" subject matter a lot younger and a lot more regularly. And it's not just the ghetto kids; it's all the kids, even the middle-class ones, save those few that live in the far reaches of the city that have a practically suburban environment. As a result, they often have adult levels of understanding and jadedness about the world around them but without the adult levels of emotional maturity to process and deal with it. That can sometimes be a rather acerbic combination. The up-side is that these kids will go out into the world with their eyes wide-open and few illusions about how wonderful and care-free life is. They'll go out there already knowing that life is gonna kick 'em in the stomach a few times and that they'll have to take their blows, get up and keep going.

That's how I see it anyway.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 PM

202 posts, read 270,984 times
I would argue that private school is not a must.

And, personally, having come originally from a small town environment myself, if I was bringing a change upon my family, I'd rather my kids be exposed to an urban upbringing than a suburban one, any day.

I also moved to Chicago from a town of 7,000, myself, when I was just out of teenage years, and I didn't find it to be a culture shock. Different, to be sure, but easy to adapt to. Children may experience culture shock. But they're children and will adapt quickly, and are young enough that it should occur pretty smoothly. It's rough to move to a totally new environment with teenagers. But a two year old won't know the difference, and a ten year old will adjust far better than a 14 year old.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,418,501 times
Wow that's a great analysis. I have to agree with you on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The biggest shock would probably be just the sheer, unadulterated mass of people. And we're packed together rather tightly. And except for your nearest neighbors, we will generally walk right by you without the slightest interest in you at all, because if we stopped to say "hi" to everyone as we were passing by, we'd never get anything else done.

I think another big shock might be the demeanor of kids, particularly teenagers. This isn't typical "teenage rebellion" type stuff. Kids grow up very quickly here; they are exposed to "adult" subject matter a lot younger and a lot more regularly. And it's not just the ghetto kids; it's all the kids, even the middle-class ones, save those few that live in the far reaches of the city that have a practically suburban environment. As a result, they often have adult levels of understanding and jadedness about the world around them but without the adult levels of emotional maturity to process and deal with it. That can sometimes be a rather acerbic combination. The up-side is that these kids will go out into the world with their eyes wide-open and few illusions about how wonderful and care-free life is. They'll go out there already knowing that life is gonna kick 'em in the stomach a few times and that they'll have to take their blows, get up and keep going.

That's how I see it anyway.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 AM

11 posts, read 63,151 times
I am raising a family in chicago now. Just do your research on the neighborhoods here. The south side is the worst. Rent, well if you rent a two bedroom apartment in a building it is around $700-900 but obviously if you're looking to rent a coachouse or townhouse it is more expensive. Private schools are not a must, because you have great schools here especially the "magnet schools" Bell, Beubien, Thorp, Disney, Lenart and Decauter and Edison are some of the top in Illinois according to Chicago Magazine October 2006 issue. If youre looking to work in downtown, no problem, you'll have more than enough family time if you take the train. Its hard to raise teenagers anywhere in america but if you put them in the right environment (neighborhood and school) they may find company that isn't involved in gangs and drugs, but if you move to a bad neighborhood and put them in a school with gangs and violence, then that will become their culture. Good highschools are Von Steuben, Steinmetz, Lane, Whitney young, Northside Prep, and Linclon Park. Do your research.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 AM

Thank you all for your replys. Great points. I am excited about the possibilities, but very nervous about the change. I know it will be hard at first, but agree that with the right research and decisions, it will be good for us overall.

Thanks Again!

Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Go for Roscoe Village, west of Andersonville, or Lincoln Square. Somewhere up on the northwest end of the brown line is quite safe and nice. It's also a little more "family" with parking, quiet streets, more houses and not just apartment buildings. I love it up there, but I live down in central Lakeview cause I like the hussle and people.

You can find something nice to rent up there, hopefully a house or at least a floor in a nice house with a little yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago