Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM

5,736 posts, read 5,407,113 times

Advertisements

Affordable housing is a sham in itself. You build affordable units in Lincoln Park, you're pulling families out of low-income neighborhoods where there is already very cheap (i.e. market-rate affordable) housing, where the landlord will have a brutally hard time finding new renters, and more buildings will be demolished and more vacant lots will dot the streetscape.

There is a serious problem with the conditions of working-class areas in our city, and the cocurrent exodus from them. Building swank new places for the poor in hot neighborhoods will not solve anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,386,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Affordable housing is a sham in itself. You build affordable units in Lincoln Park, you're pulling families out of low-income neighborhoods where there is already very cheap (i.e. market-rate affordable) housing, where the landlord will have a brutally hard time finding new renters, and more buildings will be demolished and more vacant lots will dot the streetscape.

There is a serious problem with the conditions of working-class areas in our city, and the cocurrent exodus from them. Building swank new places for the poor in hot neighborhoods will not solve anything.
This is pure window dressing, nothing more than a diversion. A few affordable housing units in Lincoln Park means absolutely nothing in the big picture.

More disconcerting will be introducing large numbers of low income renters into homes that were formerly owner occupied in stable working class neighborhoods. That could create a lot of instability if not done intelligently, a word not traditionally associated with the County government, LOL!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:50 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,550,171 times
Someone making 60% of AMI, may be simply a single mom who is a nurse.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Someone making 60% of AMI, may be simply a single mom who is a nurse.
Very true.

I think a relevant & valid question is where will the service sector employees in the these wealthy neighborhoods be coming from in order to work there?

Doesn't it make sense on some level (putting aside this specific proposal) to having a diverse range of people/income/skillset-wise living close to where they work?

Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,526,356 times
I dunno, the locals probably will try to shoot this down. I'm sure that they don't want any 'darkness' coming to the neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,057,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Very true.

I think a relevant & valid question is where will the service sector employees in the these wealthy neighborhoods be coming from in order to work there?

Doesn't it make sense on some level (putting aside this specific proposal) to having a diverse range of people/income/skillset-wise living close to where they work?
They will probably use the CTA. If they really want to live in Lincoln Park, there are more affordable garden units, studios and 4+1's.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:10 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,550,171 times
What is the proposal here? 100 apartments or so? We are talking about 10 units of affordable housing. Who cares?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,394,524 times
Quote:
Don't worry yourself too much. If places like Beverly Hills can manage to find people close enough to do the grunt work, I'm sure Lincoln Park will somehow get by. Point me to any super-wealthy enclave, and I'll find you a ghetto/barrio/whatever within driving distance. They go hand-in-hand.

Quote:
I don't know, does it?

Just because the surgeons and chief residents can afford to live in Lincoln Park doesn't mean that the lab techs and registration clerks also "deserve" to live in Lincoln Park, let alone the janitors.

Affordable Housing proponents really need to understand that "this dog doesn't hunt" - the average Joe can't afford to live in Lincoln Park, so why should an arbitrary "low income" person be afforded that luxury?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:48 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,327,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Evidently it's the job of the taxpayers to subsidize wealthy banks, contractors and other corporations. It's easy to pick on the poor, they've so little power. Now to attack the wealthy and powerful, that would take a little moxie.
Could you be more specific about who these "taxpayers" are you speak of? Did you know that half of Americans don't pay any federal income taxes. This is the poorest 50% that doesn't pay. The richest 10% of Americans pay most of the federal taxes. Corporations pay more taxes than the poor are at least a net contributor for tax revenue and provide jobs. The wealthy and powerful are attacked and demonized relentlessly by protestors, liberals, and the medial. Its actually hard to pick on the poor because many are minorities and you are accused of being racist if you say anything negative. If you try to cut social programs you will have mass protests on public streets.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM

665 posts, read 1,239,951 times
not a good idea thers affordable housing in uptown, rogers park,chinatown etc etc.
if you cant afford to live somewhere you dont need to we dont need more poor service workers in the city
im pretty sure alll those jobs are filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago