Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 PM

894 posts, read 2,374,439 times

Advertisements

Hope this goes thru Alderman set to propose affordable housing plan for Lincoln Park area - chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,170,682 times
Oh snaps.
It's ChiMack

Everyone hold Drover back

And at Children's?

I've been going there since I was born.
Now they're gonna turn it into some mini projects?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,669,096 times
If there's a requirement for subsidized housing, there's either tax breaks or government money involved in financing this little endeavor.

It looks like more of a political feather in the cap then actually a big deal for housing residents. It's 10% "affordable housing." Very different then the requirement of 'public housing.'
Secondly, if they build 50 units, that makes what, 5 will be people making 60% less than median income. (still employed though) Whoop-de-doo.

I'd be more upset about bringing in more people and adding to the congestion of the area. Just what the area needs, more places where fresh midwest school grads can get too drunk for their own good and puke in public.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:53 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,846,662 times
My childhood doc was there as well, Alacran. I still don't understand why they didn't go the "bridge over Lincoln" route years ago to connect the main buildings, kinda like Masonic did.

I think the affordable housing concept is nice in theory, but yeah, 5 units isn't doing much in terms of substance. And lord help affordable housing advocates if there's another scandal like there was in the UIC village area with politically connected people getting the units and then flipping them.

In fact, that's really my issue with the concept. If you get housing at below-market rate courtesy of society, why the heck should you ever get to profit on that?

I think a co-op model makes more sense for people of moderate means, then they have an incentive to stay and improve their neighborhood, their property bills stay lower as when units are sold the increase is minimal, etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,852,634 times
If you can't afford to live in Lincoln Park, it is not the taxpayers' job to subsidize you so you can.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:19 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,684,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
If you can't afford to live in Lincoln Park, it is not the taxpayers' job to subsidize you so you can.

Evidently it's the job of the taxpayers to subsidize wealthy banks, contractors and other corporations. It's easy to pick on the poor, they've so little power. Now to attack the wealthy and powerful, that would take a little moxie.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 AM

4,620 posts, read 8,134,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I don't think requiring builders to sell for less is anything of a good idea. Plus, it's been shown that these sorts of things are often corrupted and taken advantage of by people who simply are in the know and have the city connections, not the types of people one would expect (hope) would benefit from this sort of things. I remember an example of a single schoolteacher who earned over $40k/year getting a "low income" place near UIC and then selling it as soon as the rules allowed and moving to the suburbs. How the **** is THAT in the public interest for Chicago?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Evidently it's the job of the taxpayers to subsidize wealthy banks, contractors and other corporations. It's easy to pick on the poor, they've so little power. Now to attack the wealthy and powerful, that would take a little moxie.
If the actual poor benefited, I'd be fine, but a) the subsidy dollars would go a lot further in other neighborhoods, and b) I want the actual poor to benefit, not just the connected non-rich.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,669,096 times
Simmer down there everyone, I doubt anyone is going to be flipping anything.

I would doubt that they're building condos, almost all the new construction is apartments. No one is buying and who would want to finance a building that would more than likely sit empty? Apartment rentals, on the other hand, are in demand.

Unless these people are going to go through the hassle of subletting, more than likely they'll just live in the place.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:52 AM

14,801 posts, read 17,600,853 times
The development is apartments. 10% being kept affordable is not a big deal.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:01 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,565,686 times
5 affordable units are planned for Lincoln Park and it's a friggin bombshell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago