Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I have noticed that whenever I cross a street in a crosswalk nobody ever stops for me. Even if I am in the middle of the road, still nobody ever stops. I live off Ashland and cross it all the time and I don't think one car has ever stopped.

Do drivers not realize that they are required to stop for anybody waiting to cross in the crosswalk or do you think everybody just chooses to ignore the law. Lots of times drivers even give me looks, like I am the problem.
They always stop for me...when I am at a cross walk. I try not to jay walk. If I do I run across the street. But I have never had a problem with drivers not stopping. I also live off of Ashland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Fan View Post
I love Chicago. The only thing I hate is when people witness crimes and don't call the police. What part of the game is that? I mean, it's like they see a crime and the first thought that pops into their head is, "I bet C-D would love to know about this". *chuckles* *shakes head*
Next time im trying to cross the street and a car fails to stop for me at a crosswalk I will be sure to immediately call the police. I am sure they will get a good laugh at that one...

Geesh

Old 05-09-2012, 01:25 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,738,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
I have noticed that whenever I cross a street in a crosswalk nobody ever stops for me. Even if I am in the middle of the road, still nobody ever stops. I live off Ashland and cross it all the time and I don't think one car has ever stopped.

Do drivers not realize that they are required to stop for anybody waiting to cross in the crosswalk or do you think everybody just chooses to ignore the law. Lots of times drivers even give me looks, like I am the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Next time im trying to cross the street and a car fails to stop for me at a crosswalk I will be sure to immediately call the police. I am sure they will get a good laugh at that one...

Geesh
I agree with you 100%, skip. If it's an isolated incident, as you've described, then I'm sure the police will disregard your complaint. But, if you'll notice, sometimes this happens rather frequently. That is why my response was to call the police and let them do surveillance. If they discover that drivers never stop, as hindukid stated in the OP, then I'm sure justice will be served. Police never take public safety, lightly. It's usually top priority.

Last edited by Just1Fan; 05-09-2012 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 01:37 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,066,832 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%, skip. If it's an isolated incidence, as you've described, then I'm sure the police will disregard your complaint. But, if you'll notice, sometimes this happens rather frequently. That is why my response was to call the police and let them do surveillance. If they discover that drivers never stop, as hindukid stated in the OP, then I'm sure justice will be served.
Harassment.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Harassment.
If someone calls the police, to report a crime, since when is it harassment to check into it? *chuckles*

Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
If someone calls the police, to report a crime, since when is it harassment to check into it? *chuckles*
Hanging around afterwards and watching people? And then doing what? Harassment. I bolded a very specific part of your post, brainiac.

I don't need cops on the street just hanging around. I will call the cops if I need them. They don't need to be on the street "surveilling me" and asking me questions about where I'm going or what I'm up to tonight. It's none of their damn business. I don't care about his badge because he's just another person to me. And it is none of his damn business. And if I was a criminal, I doubt I'd say "oh you know, robbin liquor stores and killin old women tonight"

Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Hanging around afterwards and watching people? And then doing what? Harassment.

I bolded a very specific part of your post, brainiac.

I don't need cops on the street just hanging around. I will call the cops if I need them. They don't need to be on the street "surveilling me" and asking me questions about where I'm going or what I'm up to tonight. It's none of their damn business. I don't care about his badge because he's just another person to me. And it is none of his damn business. And if I was a criminal, I doubt I'd say "oh you know, robbin liquor stores and killin old women tonight"
*lol*

Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 AM

Quote:
*lol*
Yes, an lol and a face palm clearly makes my post wrong. You showed me.

I don't deserve to be treated like a criminal from a POS with no more education than I have. And I pay his salary with my tax dollars at my job 40 hours a week. Now kindly write my damn ticket and GTFO out of my face. You are making me late for whatever it is I'm going tonight that is none of your damn business.

Exercise your the right to remain silent and consent to nothing
. Answering a cop's questions or consenting to a search is only validating the idea that you might be doing something illegal - not the other way around. What do people think when they pass someone who is getting frisked and car searched on the side of road? They aren't smiling to themselves and thinking "yep, he looks like someone with nothing to hide!" So why put yourself through that if you have the RIGHT not to? And besides, this is America.

Last edited by urza216; 05-09-2012 at 02:21 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Here's the deal: if you want to cross, start walking. If you're just standing there, drivers can't tell if you're just standing there or intending to cross. By walking out, you at least make your intentions known.

Part of the problem is that this "cars must stop for any pedestrian in any crosswalk anywhere" law is relatively new. In my opinion it also happens to be misguided and borderline dangerous, namely at crosswalks where the cross traffic has no other control device except the crosswalk itself. At a whole lot of these intersections the drivers can't even see the pedestrians until they're damn near in the path of oncoming traffic anyway, as they pop out from a line of parked cars. The idea that pedestrians should expect that they can just walk out into traffic no matter what the traffic flow and conditions are like and have traffic stop for them is neither practical nor safe. Given the thousand things a driver has to pay attention to on any given half-second in an urban driving environment, adding this random element to the mix is not a wise approach.

Last edited by Drover; 05-09-2012 at 04:58 AM..

Old 05-09-2012, 05:33 AM

588 posts, read 1,800,109 times
Wow. Urza's angry, better watch out from his rage. But thank you for "paying my salary" and I'll take my uneducated POS butt to hiding in a vacant lot and play Angry Birds on my cell phone so I don't get accused of harassment. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago