U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2012, 01:12 PM

11,007 posts, read 7,023,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Metra NATO plans: Stations closed, baggage checked, limits on what you can carry - chicagotribune.com

No surprise here, they've just announced they'll be suspending the constitution and violating our civil liberties.
There will be what, something like 5000-7000 delegates from a number of european countries and hundreds if not a thousands of journalists and TV personalities coming to town? It's called security and making sure they don't get killed, seriously injured, or kidnapped. There's terms for these sorts of things to be held here. Delegates of all the super powers of Europe (which many are super powers of the world) are coming into one place.

Security here isn't even bad compared to other countries. Go to the middle east and fly out of Istanbul International for example, and then get back to me about how people think security is so incredibly bad here, even for something like this. Security precautions are a joke here compared to some other countries. They aren't doing it to take away your liberties and for something like a train, it would be incredibly easy for anybody to take something like a bomb on board and set it off near where tons of delegates are meeting. There's no security at any Metra or CTA. There's a reason why they're implementing it for a few days.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,094,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Camel View Post
Metra just posted its restrictions that will be in effect from Saturday through Monday.

They are shutting down the Blue Island Branch, closing most in-city stations (except the Hyde Park stations) on the Metra Electric mainline, and cancelling all inbound trains on Metra Electric Monday afternoon.

Worse than that, they are also imposing severe restrictions on ALL Metra lines, including those that don't go anywhere near the summit area. For example, you may not bring any food or beverages on any Metra line, you may carry only one bag not to exceed 15 square inches by 4 inches deep and nothing else on any Metra line.

Full details are here:
Updated: NATO Summit

This is so asinine, the Metra is the hotspot for transporting illicit materials into the summit. As if, A) You wouldn't have started prepping and shipping things weeks ago, and B) It couldn't be easier to just load a truck with whatever you need and drive right on one of the major roads going right into the city.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,579,705 times
Is there some reason we can't have reasonable security measures? How does someone arriving at Union Station with a bottle of water pose a threat to NATO? And why exactly is it acceptable to violate our constitutional rights for some vague notion of security?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Is there some reason we can't have reasonable security measures? How does someone arriving at Union Station with a bottle of water pose a threat to NATO? And why exactly is it acceptable to violate our constitutional rights for some vague notion of security?
Think about it. You have thousands of people using the metra. You as a security guy see a guy with bottled water, and you automatically think he's not a potential threat when 5000-7000 delegates from most countries in Europe are meeting right near there? Get real. It's easy to mask anything. How do you think a suicide bomber gets into a crowded square without being detected? They pack **** to their bodies.

You might have a point if they were doing these checks every single day of the year, every year. Perhaps you are overreacting to 2-3 days of checks. Stop acting like this is some new policy in place that will affect your life come September.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM

I think it's all pointless (NATO Summit, Airport Security, checking into high-rises in the city) because the bad guys are going to much more resourceful than that. It's simply a dog and pony show to make people 'feel secure.' Perception is reality, right?

Old 05-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I think it's all pointless (NATO Summit, Airport Security, checking into high-rises in the city) because the bad guys are going to much more resourceful than that. It's simply a dog and pony show to make people 'feel secure.' Perception is reality, right?
The "professional" terrorists yes, they will always find ways to cheat the system and get passed it. It still doesn't stop a sick **** from bringing a gun onto a plane (which yes, has happened a handful of times still).

I agree it's all about the perception of security, but *some* is needed sometimes. 99.9999% of people are never going to want/think about doing an act like bombing or bringing a gun/knife aboard a plane, but it only takes one or a small group of people to ruin it for the rest of us (i.e. what happened on 9/11). It's not like the 1950s and 1960s where you had to be semi privileged to even fly and it was considered more luxurious to fly. Most anybody can get a plane ticket these days.

And again, security in the US at airports is NOTHING compared to other countries.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,579,705 times
And why is the bottle of water a threat at all? ANYTHING can be a threat, that's why security needs to be reasonable. And you don't think random searches are likely to become permanent, like they are in NY, DC, and Boston? I wouldn't count on things going back to normal.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
The "professional" terrorists yes, they will always find ways to cheat the system and get passed it. It still doesn't stop a sick **** from bringing a gun onto a plane (which yes, has happened a handful of times still).

I agree it's all about the perception of security, but *some* is needed sometimes. 99.9999% of people are never going to want/think about doing an act like bombing or bringing a gun/knife aboard a plane, but it only takes one or a small group of people to ruin it for the rest of us (i.e. what happened on 9/11). It's not like the 1950s and 1960s where you had to be semi privileged to even fly and it was considered more luxurious to fly. Most anybody can get a plane ticket these days.

And again, security in the US at airports is NOTHING compared to other countries.
I know it isn't. It's a joke. Israel is secure. They're also not afraid to stereotype.

What about bringing a gun into the NATO summit? Perhaps they should have the TSA search everyone when they're boarding the metra trains. AND, just to be safe, have metal detectors and take your shoes off before you can get on any CTA el or Bus.

Because when it comes to safety, all that can slide, but god forbid you have a bottle of water.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
I know it isn't. It's a joke. Israel is secure. They're also not afraid to stereotype.

What about bringing a gun into the NATO summit? Perhaps they should have the TSA search everyone when they're boarding the metra trains. AND, just to be safe, have metal detectors and take your shoes off before you can get on any CTA el or Bus.

Because when it comes to safety, all that can slide, but god forbid you have a bottle of water.
Yep. I use my recent time in Istanbul as an example. I flew both domestically and internationally through Ataturk International and once domestically through Izmir's airport. For both domestically of course was easier, but I still had to go through not one, but two security checks with xray machines and metal detectors. The first security check was barely inside the doors. You can't actually get into the airports there without going through checks. Internationally was similar with the xray/metal detectors, but there was an extra one. There were numerous passport/ticket checks and hell, even my *gate* had its own metal detector/xray machine. It also had not one, but two passport checks after I did about 3 passport checks elsewhere.

As far as guns and the NATO summit goes, that's the lesser of their concerns. It's still a concern, but if anybody is going to carry out any terrorist action, it's going to be using an explosive, not a shoot-em-up.

Again, for an event like this, I agree with the precautions. Everyone is overreacting to a few days of this. I'd be pissed if they planned on doing this everyday or most days of the week. Until then: 2-3 days of it? Big ****ing deal.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:47 PM

All I'm saying is that these security measures are half-ass and still leave a lot of loopholes for people to do damage.

They're not protecting anyone from anything, and just hassling people trying to go about their business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago