Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 08:15 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
City Limits or Metro?

For Metro, many cities will grow by 500,000 per decade.

For city, NYC grew by nearly a million residents per the 2000 Census. LA grew by nearly 500,000.
City, Chicago metro actually grew faster on a % basis than NYC and LA metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
^Vlajos is right. A very representative neighborhood is Noble Square north of Division, i.e., Census Tract 2416. Definitely fits the bill of a gentrifying, up-and-coming neighborhood. Still had gang problems around 2000, but today you see kids from the suburbs/other states with U-Hauls moving in every week. The Census 2010 result for this neighborhood: a population loss of 18 percent. 47 percent increase in white people, 58 percent decrease in Hispanic people.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:22 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Street View Post
I don't understand what you're trying to argue.

I never said that there were no exceptions to the rule. I said that almost all gentrified neighborhoods grew population, and almost all non-gentrified neighborhoods lost population, which is true.

If you look at the map, clearly 90%+ of gentrified core neighborhoods grew, and 80%+ of non-core, non-gentrified neigborhoods lost population.
You've changed your argument. Very snaky of you.

You wrote "neighborhoods in which gentrification is occuring" (emphasis mine), which is present tense, are growing.

I said, no, gentrifying (present tense) neighborhoods do NOT grow in population, but I also wrote "you will see a return to population growth *if* a city has zoning that accommodates larger buildings being built and higher density," which is a past-tense reference to gentrification. In fact, one of the best indicators that gentrification is complete is a return to population growth.

Now you've changed your claim to saying that "gentrified" (past tense) neighborhoods are increasing in population. Which I already pointed out for you - that AFTER gentrification, population starts to climb again (after having dropped due to gentrification).

If you're going to change your argument and pretend like you haven't (or, worse, are too ignorant to realize you've changed your position), then, sorry, thanks for playing, but you're just going to make a fool of yourself.

It is NOT "urban theory" that gentrification causes a drop in population, it is demographic FACT. Supported by nearly any evaluation of area demographics in Chicago, in New York, in anywhere. About the only exception to that, where gentrification leads immediately to population gain is in areas that have lost so much population that there are enormous numbers of empty properties sitting unoccupied. But that almost isn't even gentrification, because gentrification is usually defined as the replacement of a poorer demographic with a "gentry" class of demographic. If there's no poorer demographic to be replaced, it's more urban pioneering than gentrification. "Real" gentrification is only controversial because it's the gentry replacing a poor demographic, because it's displacement. If gentrification was simply infill, it would be much less controversial.

Also, the same forces that lead gentrification to cause population loss also apply if a gentrified area goes beyond gentrification. This is happening in places like Lincoln Park, where the very wealthy continue to move in and create massive single family homes to replace 3-flats and things like that. That's beyond mere gentrification, but it has the same population impact due to the same principles.

Specifically to Chicago, you really should read this:
http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdccensus1.php

Last edited by emathias; 05-17-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 09:36 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Also, the same forces that lead gentrification to cause population loss also apply if a gentrified area goes beyond gentrification. This is happening in places like Lincoln Park, where the very wealthy continue to move in and create massive single family homes to replace 3-flats and things like that. That's beyond mere gentrification, but it has the same population impact due to the same principles.

Specifically to Chicago, you really should read this:
Straight Dope Chicago: Where everybody went
Exactly, I've seen two flats or SFHs bulldozed to be replaced by one home.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:07 PM

50 posts, read 89,855 times
Default Population decrease not necessarily a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
Chicago at the moment is stable, not booming or nor decaying. Chicago popualtion decreased. By next census Houston will pass us. The population increase or decrease is symbolic,shows the current state of a city. Chicago has it flaws like huge corruption and taxes. I want to see Chicago thrive again but it takes time and effort.My question what do you think can be done to make the city better? All opinions matter.What are you guys thought?

Population decrease is not necessarily a bad thing.

I could mean that the housing stock is being used for something more closely resembling what it was built for and less 12 member extended families living in illegal basement units.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:22 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulSamsara View Post
Population decrease is not necessarily a bad thing.

I could mean that the housing stock is being used for something more closely resembling what it was built for and less 12 member extended families living in illegal basement units.
It was usually "built for" a mother, a father, 3-4 kids, and probably a couple grandparents or an uncle or aunt.

Most housing in Chicago built prior to the population peak in the 1950s decidedly wasn't usually built for a childless couple to live on their own with a dog and a cat.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:16 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Most housing in Chicago built prior to the population peak in the 1950s decidedly wasn't usually built for a childless couple to live on their own with a dog and a cat.
My father grew up with his parents and three sisters in a 1000 ft^2 two bedroom apartment in Chicago.

These days it would be considered a tight squeeze for a couple, especially in 'vintage' units with their tiny holes that almost resemble a closet.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 PM

303 posts, read 578,671 times
I created this thread to hear people's opinions about the city and the future for the city.Thank you for your thoughts.
For the few posts being offended for thinking I'm saying Houston better is wrong.Chicago is a better city than Houston.Chicago has culture and one of the most urban cities in the US.But what makes Houston attractive is warm weather and cheap cost living.Few decades ago LA passed Chicago for one of the same reasons, Warm weather.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:19 PM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
we're embracing global warming head on...get back to me in 50 years.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:59 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
I created this thread to hear people's opinions about the city and the future for the city.Thank you for your thoughts.
For the few posts being offended for thinking I'm saying Houston better is wrong.Chicago is a better city than Houston.Chicago has culture and one of the most urban cities in the US.But what makes Houston attractive is warm weather and cheap cost living.Few decades ago LA passed Chicago for one of the same reasons, Warm weather.
a bit confused here, Dream Chaser. LA....especially without the smog....has one of the best climates in the nation....very Mediteranean, few extremes in temperature (at least in the basin; the valley can get exceedingly hot).

but people going to Houston for the climate? that one I don't get at all. I think one would make a hard argument that a Houston summer is better than a Chicago winter.

Houston is loaded with heat and tremendous humidity (where LA is low on the humidity). I think saying Houston has a good climate is a lot like saying New Orleans has a good climate. i don't think either one comes close to that description. I'd take Chicago's climate over Houston's any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago