U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-15-2012, 07:10 PM

6 posts, read 6,111 times
Default Relocating to Chicago (Lincoln Park, Lakeview, Southport Corridor)

I have searched through quite a few threads, but wanted to know a few other opinions.

I am relocating from Cleveland for my job and will be working in the Loop, so being close to transportation is important (I am getting rid of my car). I am a single female and have only been out of college for a year, so I want to be in a young, safe area, near bars and restaurants, etc. I would like a one bedroom or larger studio for no more than $1,300 a month. I've narrowed the search to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Southport Corridor. What areas of Lakeview would people suggest? Also what are your thoughts on Southport Corridor for a young, single female? I would appreciate any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:04 PM

1,468 posts, read 962,621 times
pretty much a classic just out of college area, your budget is more than adequate

Unread 05-15-2012, 08:12 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,191,207 times
Southport may be a slightly older crowd, but otherwise you should be fine.

Good luck!

Unread 05-15-2012, 09:30 PM

8,753 posts, read 4,646,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citygal25 View Post
I have searched through quite a few threads, but wanted to know a few other opinions.

I am relocating from Cleveland for my job and will be working in the Loop, so being close to transportation is important (I am getting rid of my car). I am a single female and have only been out of college for a year, so I want to be in a young, safe area, near bars and restaurants, etc. I would like a one bedroom or larger studio for no more than $1,300 a month. I've narrowed the search to Lincoln Park, Lakeview, or Southport Corridor. What areas of Lakeview would people suggest? Also what are your thoughts on Southport Corridor for a young, single female? I would appreciate any suggestions!
Those are all great areas and you could probably live anywhere with your budget in those areas.

I think WHERE in those areas depends on what kind of areas you want. Do you want a quiet area and a short walk to "everything?" Do you want do be right on the action? etc.

How much do you currently know about some of the main streets of these neighborhoods i.e. about Broadway, Clark, Halsted, Belmont, etc?

Unread 05-16-2012, 05:13 AM

6 posts, read 6,111 times
I would like to be in a quieter area, but pretty much if I walked right around the corner there the action would be (if that makes sense). I would say I'm the least familiar with Lakeview and since there seems to be so many areas I was hoping for suggestions. I don't think I want to be right in the action of Wrigleyville b/c that may get old on the week days, but I would like to be near restaurants, shops, and more importantly the area to be safe and near the el.

Unread 05-16-2012, 07:36 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,292,492 times
Lakeview is pretty big. The area around Broadway and Belmont is pretty nice. I prefer the east side of Lakeview. I think it's a bit nicer but all of Lakeview is pretty nice more or less.

Unread 05-16-2012, 08:55 AM

8,753 posts, read 4,646,341 times
Quote:
I would like to be in a quieter area, but pretty much if I walked right around the corner there the action would be (if that makes sense). I would say I'm the least familiar with Lakeview and since there seems to be so many areas I was hoping for suggestions. I don't think I want to be right in the action of Wrigleyville b/c that may get old on the week days, but I would like to be near restaurants, shops, and more importantly the area to be safe and near the el.
Lakeview is big, and I totally understand about Wrigleyville Like the other poster, I prefer Lakeview East, but that's just me. Broadway is one street in Lakeview East which has a lot of stuff going on. I have never lived in Lakeview, but I find walking around the streets off of Broadway to be pretty quiet and everything. Clark is another street that runs parallel-ish to that, and Halsted. For example, if you found something on Barry halfway between Clark and Broadway or say between Halsted and Broadway...I think it would be quiet (from my experiences), but then a short walk is those streets with a bunch of stuff to do..

Unread 05-16-2012, 12:39 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,292,492 times
Quote:

Stay away from Wrigleyville and don't live right on a main street and you'll be fine in terms of quiet. It's a city so obviously there is going to be noise but it's not rowdy or anything.

Unread 05-16-2012, 01:03 PM

12,062 posts, read 16,920,557 times
I love the Southport Corridor and think it would likely be a good fit for you. Really at $1300 you can live in any neighborhood you like.

Unread 05-16-2012, 06:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 573,683 times
Do you prefer hi-rise living (along the lakeshore) with doorman and indoor parking? Do you prefer courtyard buildings which may not have parking but have lovely vintage apartments? Do you prefer mid-rise living which is cheaper and maybe closer to the action with parking but not the security that a doorman provides? Maybe you should check out one of the free apartment rental services that will show you a selection of apartments? Southport has shops and near some nice bars as well as the magnificent Music Box theatre. Lots of side streets off Broadway with very nice midrise and some hi-rise apartments. And along the lake shore there are many hi-rises. The hi-rise I live in now has a ton of new singles and young couples who want to be near transportation and the action without being in it. Many choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago