Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 10:17 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times

Advertisements

below is a list of all the shelters in cook county, I would try and familiarize yourself with each one. This way you can figure out which ones fill up sooner, offer breakfast, ect.
Cook County Homeless Shelters - Cook County IL Homeless Shelters - Cook County Illinois Homeless Shelters

I think your best bet would be to network with the other homeless people at the shelters and see where the best place is to go, if worse comes to worse.

Hopefully youll be able to get back on your feet quickly, best of luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM

10 posts, read 17,893 times
Thank you for all the links and help everyone.
I just hope I can find a shelter that wouldn't interfere with my job hours once I got a job. I read some shelters have strict check in times. I am really confused right now. Thank you all.

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny19 View Post
Yes this is serious. I wouldn't waste my time joking or lying about this.
I have a long story how I end up this situation.
Yes, I am using someone's computer to create this.
My distant cousin was kind enough to let me stay in her house for a while. But I'll be asked to move out next week. I am preparing myself for this.
You never know with an online forum That sucks though. Sorry to hear it.. I would recommend a shelter I have helped out at numerous times in Lincoln Park, where people live and take classes and stuff, but I think it's "competitive" to get in. Like 30 spots available type of thing, but you never know. Lincoln Park Community Shelter.
http://www.lpcsonline.org/

I go in there once or twice a month to cook a meal. The people staying there mostly seem alright and fine..

Otherwise, definitely a church or something somewhere, here's another:
http://www.lakeviewshelter.org/

I honestly hate to see anybody on the streets, even if they're there because of a severe drug addiction, so I hope you really find some place.

2,474 posts, read 4,165,113 times
We aren't experts in this subject. Social service professionals and churches are. And I'd learn how to navigate the complicated rules if I were you. Also going to AA is no big deal, if they want you to, just go, it's a bunch of ppl drinking coffee and chatting about drugs are bad. It ain't gonna hurt you and if it gets you a bed, it's a no brainer, just go.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:22 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Quote:
Thank you for all the links and help everyone.
I just hope I can find a shelter that wouldn't interfere with my job hours once I got a job. I read some shelters have strict check in times. I am really confused right now. Thank you all.
I'd bet money that if you speak with any of the shelter organizers or social workers, they will work for you. Saying that you have just found a job and will only be there temporary is music to their ears. Just stay positive

Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 PM

10 posts, read 17,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
You never know with an online forum That sucks though. Sorry to hear it.. I would recommend a shelter I have helped out at numerous times in Lincoln Park, where people live and take classes and stuff, but I think it's "competitive" to get in. Like 30 spots available type of thing, but you never know. Lincoln Park Community Shelter.
Welcome - Lincoln Park Community Shelter

I go in there once or twice a month to cook a meal. The people staying there mostly seem alright and fine..

Otherwise, definitely a church or something somewhere, here's another:
http://www.lakeviewshelter.org/

I honestly hate to see anybody on the streets, even if they're there because of a severe drug addiction, so I hope you really find some place.
Thank you. I will call the lincoln park shelter and see my chances. Thank you again!

And to everyone, thank you for the advices and kind words.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Thank you. I will call the lincoln park shelter and see my chances. Thank you again!

And to everyone, thank you for the advices and kind words.
I hope they have something, because I know it's a place in semi high demand.. It's possible if they don't have anything, they can put you in contact with someone who might be able to help. I'm sure they know other shelters..

Old 05-15-2012, 11:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
The one the thing newly homeless must understand is that sometimes you must do things you do not want to do to get the help you need. There is an old adage: Pride goeth before the fall.

Salvation Army

Catholic Charities.
Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago

Old 05-15-2012, 11:39 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
Catholic Charities will help!

There is no reason not to go to a shelter unless there's something you're not saying ie you need to be out on the street to support a drug habit or can't abide by rules etc.

Sleeping in a park is crazy! Even most of the professional transients don't just go sleep in the park, they have somewhere where they have staked out. The only ones you see crashing out in the open are the real mentally disturbed/drugged up people.

Kids are liable to role you; any number of awful things could happen... no offense but sleeping in the park, any park, is nuts. Get to the Catholic Charities!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Hopefully your cousin will let you stay on for a bit longer, for any number of reasons, especially since you can use the address for job applications.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago