U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:08 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,024,532 times
I do not agree. I think we have more good weather...the past year has been splendid to me. Basically April through November can be pleasant. It can be hot in July and part of August, and you can get rain and cold spells in April. Our best weather is in May Sept and October which are glorious in my opinion. Sept is our best month. Even Nov. has been good in recent years. Dec can be dark and kind of gloomy at times but most are wrapped up in holiday prep so that passes fast. Jan and Feb can be cold and snowy and March can drag on but this year was good. I love the weather here and love the change in seasons. I also love that the sun comes up early and is in your face at six am. You do not get that at the coasts where you have to wait for the coastal fog to burn off. Ps good weather to me is any thing 55-75 degrees and dry. Anything lower or higher is not as good. Bearable cold is anything 35 or above. Once it dips below this into the twenties or teens it is unpleasant to be outdoors. JMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 AM

35,926 posts, read 54,687,285 times
98-degree forecast for tomorrow...

Old 05-26-2012, 07:36 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,135,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobear View Post
I find that it is not that the winters are so harsh but that they last so long. Spring is very late coming in Chicago.
lol, not really...warmest march of all time

Old 05-26-2012, 07:41 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,711,644 times
Not so much the cold and snow but the getting dark at 5pm is the killer.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:52 AM

483 posts, read 410,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleking View Post
lol, not really...warmest march of all time
"Warmest of all time" is not exactly representative.

Springs are terrible in Chicago, especially if you live near Lake Michigan. It is my only complaint about the city.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:07 AM

296 posts, read 518,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Not so much the cold and snow but the getting dark at 5pm is the killer.
Agreed. That is the tough part of winters, but I guess that's pretty universal anywhere you live.

To the OP--the winter is overhyped here IMO, although occasionally you'll get some crazy cold weather. I have a good friend who moved here from NYC a few years back. She is constantly joking about how her friends in NY say "it SO cold" in Chicago, when in reality you're splitting hairs if you're coming from the Northeast. It may be a *little* colder, but not definitively so. DC is milder, but hell..I lived 4 hours south of DC in Raleigh/Durham for 8 years, and it's just not an issue. Plus summers in DC and much of the eastern seaboard are crazy hot/muggy. Chicago on the lake in the summer is a damn dream compared to most of the Northeast.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:21 AM

141 posts, read 77,890 times
Some winters are bad some are good. Before this past winter, it seems like they were mostly bad lately. This past winter never really got going. I can only recall one brief period were the highs were only in the teens.

On average Chicago does not get too much snow (we are on the wrong side of the lake for that); but it can get quite cold for long periods. I walk 20 minutes to work so I do not like the cold, but when it's cold I wear a ski mask, a hoddie, a down parka, long underwear and boots. If it's below zero or in the single digits with a wind chill, I'll add another sweat shirt or sweater. And two pairs of gloves. That keeps me warm.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:26 AM

141 posts, read 77,890 times
The average January low for NY is 27. The average January low for Chicago is 18.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:07 PM

10,768 posts, read 6,491,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleightransplant View Post
Agreed. That is the tough part of winters, but I guess that's pretty universal anywhere you live.

To the OP--the winter is overhyped here IMO, although occasionally you'll get some crazy cold weather. I have a good friend who moved here from NYC a few years back. She is constantly joking about how her friends in NY say "it SO cold" in Chicago, when in reality you're splitting hairs if you're coming from the Northeast. It may be a *little* colder, but not definitively so. DC is milder, but hell..I lived 4 hours south of DC in Raleigh/Durham for 8 years, and it's just not an issue. Plus summers in DC and much of the eastern seaboard are crazy hot/muggy. Chicago on the lake in the summer is a damn dream compared to most of the Northeast.
So true. Winter is overhyped here big time IMO. Before I moved here, that's all I heard about. "The winters here are so bad." Maybe it's because I'm from Minnesota and went to school in Iowa which have MUCH COLDER winters, but I've experienced exactly one day in the winter here where I thought "holy **** it's cold out." A few other days of "alright it's pretty cold out..could be worse though."

There's people living here from all over the world, from places hotter than most anything we have in the US on average, and they do fine in the winter. It might take them a little longer, but there's a lot of people from those places who have been here for years. You'd think that if it was soooo bad that they would move to another big city in a warmer climate. Not the case.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:51 PM

2,809 posts, read 1,742,278 times
We had a whopping three weeks of actual winter this year. I really think if you could handle winters in DC and Philly, you'll be OK here. If you HATED them, you won't be OK. Chicago is colder during winters, but it's not an order-of-magnitude difference, like Bay Area to DC is.

If you need help from winter depression, the best thing I recommend is to live in an apartment with lots of natural light and find places to hang out with large windows, and seating near them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago