Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 PM

126 posts, read 618,580 times

Advertisements

We're not from a tiny city, but it is smaller than Chicago (Denver). How long does it generally take to get familiar with Chicago? My husband's job involves driving around, so that's a concern in a much bigger city. Is it totally impossible (like boston ) or is it fairly easy, like with numbered streets/avenues, or alphabetical? We're not set on Chicago, but it is a possibility and that's the only thing I'm worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 02:07 PM

2,329 posts, read 6,604,001 times
Chicago's based on a grid, so its pretty tough to get lost if you understand the numbering system
Streets and highways of Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-21-2007, 02:12 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,313,077 times
Learn the grid. Love the grid. Once you do, it's really tough to get truly lost in the city of Chicago. The burbs (especially outer ring burbs) are another tale.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:30 PM

126 posts, read 618,580 times
To me, that looks truly impossible. But I'm sure it's like advanced math just takes a little time.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyfish View Post
To me, that looks truly impossible. But I'm sure it's like advanced math just takes a little time.
its totally logical. like using the metric system...takes a little adjusting, but so much easier in the long run.

if you're in the city and someone gives you an address, you can tell instantly what direction to travel, what side of the street the address is on, and the distance in miles to get there.

Last edited by via chicago; 09-21-2007 at 02:49 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 02:48 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,195,624 times
i have not yet once gotten lost in Chicago... in fact the first time i came to visit, i had it figured out in a snap. my friend on the other hand was SUPER confused.

it's like heaven compared to the south where every road has at least three names. for instance, in Knoxville, a road is called Broadway, then changes to Henley Street JUST long enough so the bridge can be named the "Henley Street Bridge" then immediately changes to Chapman Hwy right after the bridge -- this is only a 0.8 mile stretch.

and the numbering system here makes me happy too.

ETA: ladyfish, i agree that the wikipedia entry is a little confusing. i can see how it would be confusing if you've never been here.

Last edited by scarletneon; 09-21-2007 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: addition.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:13 PM

This is more clear, from the CTA website

"Chicago was built on a grid system with a "major" street every half mile - equal to four blocks. The starting point is at the intersection of State and Madison in the heart of the Loop. State Street runs north/south. All of the other north/south streets are numbered as so many blocks east or west of State, with the addresses increasing by 100 for each block (except downtown, where streets do not always correspond to a full block).

For example, Ashland Avenue runs north/south and is 16 blocks west of State and so its "address" is 1600 West. Since there are 8 blocks to a mile, we can also determine that Ashland is 2 miles west of State. Similarly all east/west streets are numbered as north or south of Madison, which runs east/west. The street that runs parallel to Madison eight blocks to the north (Chicago Avenue) is referred to as 800 North, and is one mile north of Madison.
Using this system you can always figure out how far and in what direction you have strayed from downtown, and by knowing a cross street's address you can find any building in the city. A building with an address of 800 North Ashland Ave. will be 8 blocks north of Madison on Ashland which is 16 blocks west of State Street, at the intersection of Chicago Ave. and Ashland Ave. A building with an address of 1601 West Chicago Ave. will be on another corner of the same intersection."

Old 09-21-2007, 04:14 PM

8,438 posts, read 12,113,860 times
Lord love a duck. The streets are straight and on the south side they have numbers. All one has to do is memorize the few diagonal streets. I found the layout to be remarkably simple and understandable. Now, its not as arithmetical or instinctive as DC but is does have a basic regularity.

All this was lost on my wife, however. It takes all kinds.

Old 09-21-2007, 04:27 PM

all you need to know is the lake is east.

Old 09-21-2007, 05:28 PM

178 posts, read 699,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Learn the grid. Love the grid. Once you do, it's really tough to get truly lost in the city of Chicago. The burbs (especially outer ring burbs) are another tale.
Initially, Chicago is confusing as heck to navigate. Well, even after you've been around awhile north, west and south of the inner city gets confusing and is poorly laid out and marked road-sign-wise.

HOWEVER

The GRID system is amazing. Like many have said, it is almost impossible to get lost once you understand the grid. Also, because it is a grid you can figure out how long it will take you to et from point A to point B very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago