Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 AM

3,569 posts, read 7,194,814 times

Advertisements

Dallas sucks.
Close thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 12:11 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Yeah, I was gonna call him out about that too, but figured w/ his posting history that I knew exactly what he meant...
I'm not familiar with his posting history, so I have no idea what he means. Based on his apparent belief that Dallas is a superior city to Chicago, however, I'll be taking everything he says with a massive grain of salt. One has to wonder why bothers spending the time and effort to regularly post on the forum of a city he hates.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
I just want to be RESPECTED when I walk down the street and not have to get into fist-fights (or worse!) when I am just walking down to get a cup of coffee, or while hanging out on the beach.
Man, I totally hate it when I'm forced into fist-fights while walking to a coffee shop or across the beach.

Oh, wait, that's actually never happened. I forgot.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer79 View Post
I was at Oak street beach on Sunday around 5:00 and there was a large contingent of inner city youth there.
Inner city youth were at an inner city beach? Say it ain't so!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:28 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plzeň View Post
man, i totally hate it when i'm forced into fist-fights while walking to a coffee shop or across the beach.

Oh, wait, that's actually never happened. I forgot.
:d

Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Inner city youth were at an inner city beach? Say it ain't so!
shocking when you put it that way, isn't it?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:42 PM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Default Wow. That was an embarassing amount of typos..

Quote:
Apparantly on EveryBlock, they are reporting that there several large fights there over the weekend. I was hoping to hear some good news that the city was going to be proactive and station more police there, or that the level of safety was going to go back to the way it was in the years before 2011, only to find out that "Urban Beach Weekend" is ruining everyone's enjoyment of the beach.

Sigh...
Fights? Well, there were thousands and thousands of people there. Human beings aren't ants so a fight is bound to break out.

This and the posts following it are kinda ridiculous. I didn't go to the North Ave Beach over Memorial Day weekend. But I hung out with a friend who had just came from the beech on Sunday. And I spoke to a co-worker who also went. And I saw a bunch of check in's on Facebook too. One Facebook status read "Is this Spring Break??? No it's North Ave on Memorial Day Weekend!!!"

I heard nothing about thugs at the beech. But I did hear that there were hot girls everywhere.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Fights? Well, there were thousands and thousands of people there. Human beings aren't ants so a fight is bound to break out.
This is totally inaccurate, the biggest fight I've seen so far this year was a massive ant war in my backyard. I believe it was gang related. Ants fight plenty.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,279 times
Quote:
I dont know why people here keep trying to claim this. You have obviously never been here. Uptown Dallas is just simply the Dallas version of Lincoln park. I used to live in Naperville (from 1998 until 2002, when I moved to Lakeview) and I know what it is like, and Uptown is nothing like naperville. This place down here is an urban, walkable, bikeable neighborhood, popular with young single professionals, many of whom work in the financial, I.T., and legal field in the Dallas CBD (downtown dallas). There are all the typical coffee shops/bars/nightlife/sushi joints and all the other restaurants you find in the NYC/Chicago type areas. The demographics are similar to lincoln park and gold coast; you have a large contingent of younger people living in low- and high-rise apartments as well as some older folks with money. Yes, it is right next to the Park Cities (two walkable neighborhoods that are techninally their own municipalities with their own mayors, and have a lot of billionaires and multi-millionaires living there), but besides that, there is a gayborhood right next door to the west (Oak lawn) and a hipster-ish neighborhood to the east (M-streets), plus another hipster-ish neighborhood to the south (Deep Ellum). It is a slightly smaller scope than what you get in CHI but I was willing to make that trade-off in order to feel secure and to save some money while NOT having to down-size my living space (actually my living space - both size and quality - went up). My employer agreed to transfer me here and so this was a no brainer for me. There were of course some trade offs (people here have an odd body language, and are not as fashion-forward as in CHI) but I was willing to live with that. Plus my brother lives here. So there were a lot of benefits to me being here, yes I miss Chicago but living in LV was driving me nuts. I needed a break (from the noise, the loitering the problems etc) and so this was a good move for me. I left a lot of friends behind in CHI but I had to do this and I have been happy with the result.
I'm not going to argue with your very passionate rant. I've been to Uptown a few times due to family there. It's a nice place. But calling it urban is a bit of a stretch. It's density is 5500 sq/mile and Naperville is...4025 sq/mile. Lincoln Park is like 20k.

Not knocking your decision to live there, or even knocking the area in general. But saying it's like Lincoln park but cheaper, less crime etc etc is just dumb.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
How the heck did this turn into a thread about Dallas? Remind me again what Dallas, Uptown (TX), and Miami have to do with North Ave beach?

(note: I've followed the thread and understand how this happened, I'm just tossing out these rhetorical questions for sarcasm sake).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago