Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2012, 07:15 AM

2,418 posts, read 6,253,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Kuma's may be the most overrated place in Chicago. Their burgers are very good but, IMO, not worth the wait. I find the service lacking as well.

Never been to Hot Dougs, not a hot dog fan.
Well, if you believe the burgers to be very good, then it's not overrated. I agree that they aren't a life changing experience worth the long wait, but they are delicious nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 07:29 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Well, if you believe the burgers to be very good, then it's not overrated. I agree that they aren't a life changing experience worth the long wait, but they are delicious nonetheless.
The hype around the place is ridiculous and it wasn't the best burger I've ever had. I'll stick to my original comment that it is overrated.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Some people like ballet, some like football. Is one more cultured than the other?
How you behave at the game/show is what determines how cultured you are.

When me and my friends watch football or other sports, we actually watch and discuss the game.

A certain north side sports team I am a lifelong fan of was years ago invaded by hordes of people who pay almost no attention to the game AT ALL, jabbering and taking pictures of themselves on cell phones, etc. They are almost exclusively white and in their twenties. Sox fans don't know how good they have it.

As for ballet - it takes a ton of work and doesn't attract moronic drunks. I like smart drunks, you know, like me. What we need is a NEW beer riot to chase out the idiots, especially the one that wouldn't shut up a few years ago regarding "A balk? What the hell is a balk?!"

Serenity now...

Reacting Against Nativism: The Lager Beer Riot of 1855 - YouTube

Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,949,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
They are almost exclusively white and in their twenties. Sox fans don't know how good they have it.
It seems to me after reading many posts in this thread, that being White, or have a neighborhood (or Baseball Stadium) that is majority White is a bad thing. Not all White people are the same, I really do not understand this mentality.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Not even for Kuma's/Hot Dougs?

OK, I stand corrected.... I'll admint, Hot Dougs is on my list of 'must go to' places, especially for the foie gras dog and duck fat fries.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
Surely you know the answer to that question.
Yes, of course I know the answer, but my point was that culture is a matter of opinion.

You've got your artsy fartsy people who attend theatre, you've got people in hip hop culture who listen to gangster rap, etc.

Everyone's definition of culture varies, just like our taste in food or music.

So, to say an area lacks 'culture' basically means it doesn't meet YOUR definition of culture.

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
For a better burger than Kuma's, with no wait and a better crowd, I recommend the Paramount Room on Milwaukee. Get it with bacon.

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
It seems to me after reading many posts in this thread, that being White, or have a neighborhood (or Baseball Stadium) that is majority White is a bad thing.
Being White, or any other color, isn't a "bad thing" because you have no choice in that. You do have a choice, however, in where you live and with whom you associate. Many of us do believe that choosing not to embrace diversity is, in fact, a "bad thing," if you want to put it that way. Not that you don't have the freedom to do so, but many of us prefer more diversity in our surroundings. That's all anyone is saying.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Unless there's a 5 star restuarant giving away free food in Avondale, I have no desire to visit Avondale.
I don't really care if you have no desire to visit Avondale. I just ask that you don't label it as boring, not worth a visit, etc.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:52 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Yes, of course I know the answer, but my point was that culture is a matter of opinion.
It's not, though. That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago