Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Considering how multi-ethnic/racial Chicago is how much of that varies depending on the groups there?
It's more or less just the attitude here, without respect to culture. New Yorkers always look hurried, well, we have our behaviors too. Regardless of the person, we just keep our emotions to ourselves. Friendly chat in public does not equal letting others know how you really feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 03:08 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,430 times
Red face moi aussi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Anyone else a former New Yorker who never thought they'd find a major city with a harsher winter, but overall friendlier people?
my husband and i moved here a few weeks ago from brooklyn after spending most of our lives there. BIG change and a very refreshing one. we are very happy we made the leap. much less pretension - example - he posted an ad on craigs list looking to form a band 3 wks ago and already had first practice session last night with 3 other guys. pretty insane - in nyc, that process takes a long time and is not without a large heaping serving of ego... nyc has colder people (i worked at conde nast for years) - i'll take snowstorms and/or biting wind chill over that any day.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:55 PM

27 posts, read 155,536 times
Thanks for the replies everyone (especially coldwine very informative and very funny post). As a NYer for close to 14 years I'm actually looking forward to a different kind of city and everything I hear sounds great.

In many ways I've "been there, done that" in NYC and have been looking for a change for awhile.

As I mentioned, my wife and I live in Tribeca which is an area we love for many reasons....real neighborhood feel, great restaurants and bars that are quieter (not targeted to kids in their 20's, etc), but still close to everything we need. Any suggestions in Chicago?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM

190 posts, read 982,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
my husband and i moved here a few weeks ago from brooklyn after spending most of our lives there. BIG change and a very refreshing one. we are very happy we made the leap. much less pretension - example - he posted an ad on craigs list looking to form a band 3 wks ago and already had first practice session last night with 3 other guys. pretty insane - in nyc, that process takes a long time and is not without a large heaping serving of ego... nyc has colder people (i worked at conde nast for years) - i'll take snowstorms and/or biting wind chill over that any day.
Hey, I'll be coming from Brooklyn (originally, but now in Manhattan) too. Where in Brooklyn do you hail? Bay Ridge here.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribeca View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone (especially coldwine very informative and very funny post). As a NYer for close to 14 years I'm actually looking forward to a different kind of city and everything I hear sounds great.

In many ways I've "been there, done that" in NYC and have been looking for a change for awhile.

As I mentioned, my wife and I live in Tribeca which is an area we love for many reasons....real neighborhood feel, great restaurants and bars that are quieter (not targeted to kids in their 20's, etc), but still close to everything we need. Any suggestions in Chicago?
I lived in Tribeca for a while (North Moore St.) before moving a little further north (Greenwich Village). With my cursory knowledge of Chicago neighborhoods, I'd imagine River North with its loft style apartment dwellings (converted warehouses) and cafes/restaurants and stuff would be similar to TriBeCa. Perhaps even the near West Side or something like that where they seem to be converting even more warehouses for TriBeCa-like homes.

Good luck.

Hope to bump into all of you at one point or another in the Windy City!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:09 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
I'm a native Chicagoan, and can attest to the fact that, for a big city, Chicago can be pretty friendly. Tonight was the season opening performance at the Lyric Opera (side note, Chicago is one of the only cities in the country to offer a nearly year round schedule of opera. Maybe the only one outside of New York). Anyway, we received commemorative posters as we left, so it was easy to tell who had been to the opera, and we had struck up a conversation on the El with some other opera goers. I've been to the northeast, though not New York yet, and I can't see that being too likely to happen up there. And to blow away one stereotype, we were heading home to the southwest side, the decidedly uncool, underrated and wrongly maligned working class part of town.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Viejo View Post
Hey, I'll be coming from Brooklyn (originally, but now in Manhattan) too. Where in Brooklyn do you hail? Bay Ridge here.
haha i just moved from dyker heights/bay ridge area. i was just there this weekend for a wedding in coney island. (gargiulios) i can honestly say that i was totally happy with our decision to move here and now, having just been in brooklyn yesterday, i can say the only thing i miss is the pizza. i did sneak some in at my favorite place on 14th ave but seriously? i couldn't wait to be home!!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribeca View Post

my husband and i are both from nyc and after getting married last year, we decided we had to start looking elsewhere. i love it here in chicago and i'm sure you will as well. we're both in early 30s and like lincoln square/north center area. our block is very quiet - seriously, you here cicadas and that's it. it's quite bucolic, but if you walk to damen or lincoln or some busier streets there are lots of bars, restaurants, etc. i like being somewhere quiet and chill but having access to nightlife too. i've been here officially one month and i am not looking back. i was in nyc for the weekend and am so happy to call this area my home.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_cate View Post
haha i just moved from dyker heights/bay ridge area. i was just there this weekend for a wedding in coney island. (gargiulios) i can honestly say that i was totally happy with our decision to move here and now, having just been in brooklyn yesterday, i can say the only thing i miss is the pizza. i did sneak some in at my favorite place on 14th ave but seriously? i couldn't wait to be home!!
Ah, a local girl! Well, glad to hear another native of Bay Ridge/Dyker Heights likes the Windy City.

I think the area's gotten rougher since I was a kid. The kids I see attending my old schools (PS 176 on Bay Ridge Avenue and IS 201 on 12th Avenue) downright look like punks.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 7,014 times
Here are some things anyone should know about Chicago:
Our thansit is slow, and has the weirdest ass coverage.
Our traffic is even worse than LA.
Anyone who puts ketchup on their hotdogs runs the risk of getting their picture put on the "wall of shame." (reply if you know what place I'm talking about.)
Everyone in the country makes fun of our accents.
We would never have it any other way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago