Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 03:39 PM

384 posts, read 1,132,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
BTW, Jak, are you in the city or the burbs?
I'm in the burbs, which I find worse than the city. I do enjoy spending a day in the city on occasion, there is a lot to do. And again, I never said I don't like Chicago. But it is just all the cons that have me wanting to get away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 12:16 AM

36 posts, read 245,278 times
People that complain about Chicago weather are silly. It's 80 degrees in October and most of the summer has been between 75 and 85. We have cooling summer thunderstorms that clean the streets and keep the grass green. So as far as I can tell at most we have about 2 weeks of extreme cold and 2 weeks of extreme heat. Otherwise the temps generally sit between 25 and 85. We have really late summers that everyone always forgets when its still 55 degrees in May, but that fades quickly by Mid to Late May. I've never seen beautiful sunny days like Chicago in late August and early September. Dry air blowing off the plains make for crisp dry heat in the summer. The only time it gets muggy is when we have a heavy south wind coming up from the Gulf of Mexico, but that happens at most for a week or two in the summer. The weather is great here, especially if you live near the lake. Variety definitely makes it interesting, but nothing to constantly complain about.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:13 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
In Kentucky, we had hot summers, and cold winters. But the winters weren't bad, it had a nice feel to it. And the summers weren't humid, it was a dry heat.
Dry heat in KY??? I think you are having VERY selective memory concerning KY's summers. Dry heat and KY do not go together. In fact, no place east of the Mississippi that I know of gets dry heat in the summer. The summers in KY are hotter and every bit as humid as Chicago. This is coming from a Kentuckian.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Your opinions are fine. They're yours. Not mine. I just notice you tend to chime in with things you don't like rather than things you like. Still, you're right. Everyone has an opinion. It's good to hear them all. A little ribbing? The Chicago way.

Anyway, my whole point was that it was beautiful out today. This whole week has been nice. Weather here isn't perfect, but Chicago finds a way to work around it.
The weather has been stunning as of late. I've been out and about every day this autumn, getting my exercise in before the tax season, and I couldn't have had any more fun than I have.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:05 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The weather has been stunning as of late. I've been out and about every day this autumn, getting my exercise in before the tax season, and I couldn't have had any more fun than I have.
The cool snap over the last few days has been a big change, but not unpleasant. Still, I can say, for the record, that I spent Columbus Day on Foster Beach. It was 85+ and lovely. October 8th!

Old 10-13-2007, 11:07 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
The cool snap over the last few days has been a big change, but not unpleasant. Still, I can say, for the record, that I spent Columbus Day on Foster Beach. It was 85+ and lovely. October 8th!
I really enjoyed the cold snap. I love the way our city smells with cold autumn breezes blowing down our streets, and the way the lights look brighter and crisper when the sun is setting, or the way the dead leaves smell, or how it feels to hug your coat to you while you step into a shop, or... just that indescribable energy of Autumn, of being out and about in the city on the past few days that we've had.

Move over summer and we'll see you next year, right now I want autumn to move a little closer

I spent tonight in a beer haus, there was a new beer on tap for autumn and it wasn't even 11pm when the singing started, it was warm and pleasantly dim and everyone had a grand old time.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:11 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,631,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
I really enjoyed the cold snap. I love the way our city smells with cold autumn breezes blowing down our streets, and the way the lights look brighter and crisper when the sun is setting, or the way the dead leaves smell, or how it feels to hug your coat to you while you step into a shop, or... just that indescribable energy of Autumn, of being out and about in the city on the past few days that we've had.

Move over summer and we'll see you next year, right now I want autumn to move a little closer

I spent tonight in a beer haus, there was a new beer on tap for autumn and it wasn't even 11pm when the singing started, it was warm and pleasantly dim and everyone had a grand old time.
"Chicago is an October sort of city even in the spring."
-Nelson Algren

Old 10-14-2007, 03:58 PM

101 posts, read 411,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by via chicago View Post
"Chicago is an October sort of city even in the spring."
-Nelson Algren
I agree. I look forward to seeing the people turning block corners in overcoats and hats with scarves blowing in the wind. Thats a more natural Chicago to me.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,864,315 times
Quote:
I live in Lincoln Square. It's beautiful. Come have a cup of coffee at Selmarie and we can sit in the plaza and watch the kids play.

I didn't grow up here. Hence the name. I've traveled and explored extensively.
I love Lincoln Square!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:43 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
I've been all over the world, and here's my take on Chicago. If you live in the suburbs and rely on a car, Chicago is not the best place to be. But several people put up with it because of the economic opportunity that exists here. However, if you are a city person and not a complete wimp about the weather, Chicago can be just wonderful! Much of the city is gritty and nasty, but most of the old brick and stone residential streets are quite beautiful. The key is to pick a good neighborhood--and those can be quite expensive. But the costs are nothing compared to the coasts. Anyone complaining about the costs in Chicago needs to get around more, in my opinion.

And as far as the nature lover complaining about the city, I really don't think I would listen to him. I'm not that outdoorsy, so would you take my opinion about what campsites and hiking trails are the best? If you're already biased against big cities, Chicago is probably not for you anyway. If you really hate cold weather, it's probably not for you either. But if you like great urban life, restaurants, nightlife, theater, arts, walkable streets, ample shopping, and a vibrant downtown--this is one of the best cities in the U.S.. And for the money, it could offer the best urban quality of life of any city in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago