Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times

Advertisements

Condiments on polish?

Mustard, sauerkraut, or none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Condiments on polish?

Mustard, sauerkraut, or none.
yep, same with a brat.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
I have to admit, I, ketchup on hot dog boy am a hypocrite. I do frown on those who dump steak sauce on a steak without tasting it first or people who automatically dump salt or soy sauce on food without tasting it. And although my palate likes a wide variety of foods and is open to trying new ones, perhaps there is a little "inner child" that likes ketchup on my hotdogs. But I did try them a few times at home with just mustard and relish. Hey they're MY taste buds. And it doesn't make sense because I can get snobbish about so many foods especially crappy coffee; I'd like to know where Consumer Reports sent their tasters because my taste buds think McD and DD coffee is very mediocre. I deride my DW for liking her corn beer MGD- life is too short to drink crappy beer.
I guess I am somewhat contradictory why else would I be a Cubssox fan?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,918,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Go suck an egg! It's childish to project your tastes on others.
It's not my taste. It's taste. There's a difference. Some things are subjective and a matter of personal preference. Others are fairly standard and understood by the majority of people who know and care about such things.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I have to admit, I, ketchup on hot dog boy am a hypocrite. I do frown on those who dump steak sauce on a steak without tasting it first or people who automatically dump salt or soy sauce on food without tasting it. And although my palate likes a wide variety of foods and is open to trying new ones, perhaps there is a little "inner child" that likes ketchup on my hotdogs.
There ya go. Was that so hard to admit?

Quote:
my taste buds think McD and DD coffee is very mediocre.
On this we agree. I think calling it mediocre is generous, though, unless you're only comparing it to other burger and donut shops. Compared to real coffee shops it's flat-out bad, not mediocre.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 PM

99 posts, read 136,859 times
Hey guys,

Would it be mean to have this guy come to an authentic Italian Beef place with me and watch him attempt to order a Beef with mayonnaise? lol

I am thinking that this would be a sight to see.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
I have to admit, I, ketchup on hot dog boy am a hypocrite. I do frown on those who dump steak sauce on a steak without tasting it first or people who automatically dump salt or soy sauce on food without tasting it. And although my palate likes a wide variety of foods and is open to trying new ones, perhaps there is a little "inner child" that likes ketchup on my hotdogs. But I did try them a few times at home with just mustard and relish. Hey they're MY taste buds. And it doesn't make sense because I can get snobbish about so many foods especially crappy coffee; I'd like to know where Consumer Reports sent their tasters because my taste buds think McD and DD coffee is very mediocre. I deride my DW for liking her corn beer MGD- life is too short to drink crappy beer.
I guess I am somewhat contradictory why else would I be a Cubssox fan?
While I find consurmer reports intersting for appliances and cars and such, coffee? They have rated wine before as well. Dear God that was one awful list.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
It's not my taste. It's taste. There's a difference. Some things are subjective and a matter of personal preference. Others are fairly standard and understood by the majority of people who know and care about such things.
Okay, when the President or Queen invite me for hot dogs, I will eat them the way they are served. On the other hand if you criticize me for eating a hot dog in my house with ketchup then you will not be invited back. I didn't see hot dog with ketchup in any etiquette book about "taste". Did you ever see the show about regional differences in how hot dogs are prepared? Might want to check that one out before further pontification. If you eat a hot dog "Chicago" style in Connecticut or Georgia or Coney Island you will be derided.
Now about those who eat Pizza Smut pizza when we have so many good places................

Old 06-15-2012, 12:24 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
there has been so much talk here recently about street crime in Chicago, but one has to put it in perspective. real, bone chilling, blood curling, maniacal crimes come in the form of..

We got a guy in town for business. He ordered an Italian beef with mayonaise and sport peppers.

Please, folks. Have some sensitivity for those of us who tend to get squeamish about such issues. Give your posts X ratings before posting.

and please, please, please, for goodness sake, never post anything about the guy who put ketchup on his Chicago hot dog.

Or if you really want to break my heart...go to Manny's and not only put mayo on your corned beef, but also put it on a couple of slices of white bread.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Did you ever see the show about regional differences in how hot dogs are prepared? Might want to check that one out before further pontification. If you eat a hot dog "Chicago" style in Connecticut or Georgia or Coney Island you will be derided.
I didn't see the show, but I've had dogs at Coney Island and elsewhere, so I'm aware of the differences. I'm not aware of any of them involving ketchup, though. If they do, they shouldn't. I didn't grow up in Chicagoland and didn't even visit until I was over 30, yet I knew that ketchup didn't belong on hot dogs. I didn't learn until fairly recently that some see this as "a Chicago thing". I always just thought it was a hot dog thing. The only version I'm aware of that regularly involves ketchup would be corn dogs, but that's practically a whole different food item, and again, is generally intended for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago