Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 07:21 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times

Advertisements

Personally, my favorite pizza that you can't get anywhere else is Pequod's. Its located in Lincoln Park off Webster. They caramelize their crust and the sausage or pepperoni is just amazing. I love a good Uno's or Due's or Lou's Deepdish, but Pequod's offers something truly unique and unlike any other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 07:29 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
I've had Giordanos's in Milwaukee, and it's the heaviest pizza slice you'll ever eat. If you have more than 2-3 slices, you run the risk of getting sick; too much cheese..

Old 06-15-2012, 07:49 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,147 times
Go to Lou's. Make sure you get the butter crust.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:04 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Lou Malnati's is good, but it's stupidly greasy. Nothing wrong with that in moderation, but if you want deep dish that doesn't make you feel like you need liposuction afterwards, try Bacino's on Lincoln near Oz Park (which predates Malnati's by over a decade in Lincoln Park):

Bacinos of Lincoln Park

Best spinach deep dish in the city/world, period.

Gino's East, Chicago's, Uno's, Art of Pizza, are all top tier for Chicago-style. Father & Sons and Pat's are killer thin, not so great on the deep dish. Giordano's and Leona's are very good, but second tier. I hear Pete's is fantastic, but I've never had their deep dish, lots of little Italian places are phenomenal and just unknown. like Divita's at 37xx W. Belmont (where the lady answers the phone with "hey, hon - what can I getcha?").

Pequod's & Eduardo's are kind of in their own category, awesome, but I don't really consider them Chicago-style.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:06 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I've had Giordanos's in Milwaukee, and it's the heaviest pizza slice you'll ever eat. If you have more than 2-3 slices, you run the risk of getting sick; too much cheese..
Lots of cheese on the thin, but I think the flaw with the deep dish is it's actually too "bready," Art of Pizza is kind of in that camp.

A good sidebar conversation:

Pan or Deep Dish? Why do so few people seem to know the difference?

Old 06-15-2012, 08:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Pan and deep dish are synonyms. The real differiator is the configuration of the layers. The number of places that truly drop a second layer of crust on too to create a giant stuffed monster is way down, just too much of a gut buster.

That leaves the arrangement of the toppings. Styles that have crust followed by sausage followed by cheese all topped with sauce and/ or crushed tomatoes and the paste type solids constituent the majority of Chicago style deep dish. There are also those that alternate lawyers of cheese. That results in the nice crispity cheese around the edges. Really another dimension. Probably insipired the variations like "cheesy bites" and such that Dominios and Pizza Hut hawk at super give away prices, but when you are talking a true high grade sausage and scazamora type cheese that Chicago area suppliers use the ingredients are in a whole other league...

We are sorta turning this into something that could go on for pages, like lthforums...

Old 06-15-2012, 08:18 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Lou's pan pizza is not greasy.

Another really good pan pizza place is in Andersonville, Calo's.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
It,s supposed to be like 96 degrees out and you're making me want pizza for lunch. That is so wrong. I gotta et something light or I will fall asleep. A/C in the office is horribly screwed up....

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It,s supposed to be like 96 degrees out and you're making me want pizza for lunch. That is so wrong. I gotta et something light or I will fall asleep. A/C in the office is horribly screwed up....
Good point, I just realized my stomach is rumbling as well. Salad for lunch.

Spacca Napoli for dinner! No pan tonight....

Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
How many Edwardos are even still around?
A few but they're sadly dwindling.

Quote:
I really like the Lou Malnatti's and agree that they do a nice job. That said I have to put in a plug for Giordano's. I know that there are those that much prefer the shortening rich crust of Lou's but the simpler dough of Giordano's recipe allows one to wolf down a couple extra slices of cheese and savage laden goodness.
Of course the overkill use of cheese annihilates any "lighter eating" gains by using a simpler crust. I never thought it was possible to use too much cheese in a stuffed pizza until I tried Giordano's. I've said it here probably half a dozen times and I'll say it again: Giordano's stuffed is highly overrated, particularly by tourists. On the flipside, their thin-crust is almost equally underrated.

Quote:
Btw I know there are those of you who'd rather have kidney removed than spend money outside of 606xx but you'd be hard pressed to not call Pequods or Burt's some the best pizza in the region...
For those who insist on spending money in the 606XX area code, they can always go to the Pequod's in Lincoln Park. I still don't get the appeal of a charred cheese ring though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
both Edwardo's and Giordono's offer up good pizza. And, of course, they have deep dish and it a major part of their business.

But I find them different from Malnati's, Uno/Due, and Gino's. Those all go back to the original roots of deep dish Chicago pizza, Malnati's being an off shoot of the very Uno's where Lou once made his home. When Gino's started up, it was very much like Uno's (Gino's pizza used to be extraordinary; I don't think they make it quite the way they used to.....there was talk of Gino's reopening the old location on Rush, but that idea looks long dead....unless somebody knows otherwise)

Edwardo's is more about things like spinach pizza than sausage. Giordono's is more about stuffed than deep dish.
Giordano's and Edwardo's don't have deep-dish on their menu; only thin-crust and stuffed. That would explain the perceived difference between Giordano's and Edwardo's versus Malnati, Uno/Due, and Gino's; all of which have deep-dish on their pizza but not stuffed.

As for Gino's re-opening on Rush... I think they're quite content to let their high-visibility Ontario 8 Wells location serve as their flagship location. They have another one in Streeterville 2 blocks (1 numbered block) from Rush so they've got that corner covered too.

Quote:
Pan and deep dish are synonyms...
Blasphemer! Leave the pizza thread, right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago