Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanna5 View Post
We are looking to rent with a range of $2000-$2500 for a 3 BR and are open to any type of housing as long as a park is nearby - we have a 7 year old and older teen. The older teen would like to be able to walk to things and is excited about a life different than the typical suburbs. We would like to keep one vehicle and like being near theater, arts, and cultural activities.
I have considered Oak Park as an option...however I keep reading about how bad of a neighborhood that Austin is and find that a bit scary...although I know that Oak Park is safe in general. I have considered Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, possibly West Lakeview near RV and West Andersonville. We want a taste of the city for at least a year...but housing seems limited in that budget and CPS feel overwhelming to find a place within one of the coveted schools. I am also concerned about after school care.
Since my husband does not know where he will be working, and it may be a suburb, his potential commute time is an issue.

Oak Park is a good suburb, and you're correct about Austin. People have mentioned Oak Park and Evanston which are the best suburbs that are close to the city.

However, you can live in the city, at least apartment-wise. You could even live in some places in Lakeview with that. For example:
2850 N. Sheridan Apartments in Chicago, IL | Apartments.com

That is right near Lincoln Park (the actual park). The areas you listed though i.e. Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, you shouldn't have trouble finding at least a 3 bedroom apartment for your budget IMO. It will be harder if you want a single family home of course, but yeah, you can live in any of those neighborhoods and even Lakeview.

IMO rent your first year, and then you can determine whether you like the neighborhood or not. If you buy now, you are stuck with your property for awhile..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 09:52 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Oak Park is a good suburb, and you're correct about Austin. People have mentioned Oak Park and Evanston which are the best suburbs that are close to the city.

However, you can live in the city, at least apartment-wise. You could even live in some places in Lakeview with that. For example:
2850 N. Sheridan Apartments in Chicago, IL | Apartments.com

That is right near Lincoln Park (the actual park). The areas you listed though i.e. Lincoln Square/Ravenswood, you shouldn't have trouble finding at least a 3 bedroom apartment for your budget IMO. It will be harder if you want a single family home of course, but yeah, you can live in any of those neighborhoods and even Lakeview.

IMO rent your first year, and then you can determine whether you like the neighborhood or not. If you buy now, you are stuck with your property for awhile..
Sure, but what about high school? If the oldest is going to be a sophomore and is college bound, this is critical. Switching high schools every year may not be good. The kid needs to get established and prepared for SAT's/ACT's junior year. I do not know enough about the local high schools to determine if the neighborhood is a good choice. What I do know of OP/RF High School, it is a decent school.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Sure, but what about high school? If the oldest is going to be a sophomore and is college bound, this is critical. Switching high schools every year may not be good. The kid needs to get established and prepared for SAT's/ACT's junior year. I do not know enough about the local high schools to determine if the neighborhood is a good choice. What I do know of OP/RF High School, it is a decent school.
Okay, take a step back. The child is 7 years old. They have 7-8 years before they think about High School, IF they even plan on staying in the Chicagoland area.

Again, if you rent your first year, you can figure things out about Chicago you might not be able to within the next month. They say they don't mind about what type of housing (i.e. condo vs. apartment vs. duplex vs. single family home). I think there's a giant overreaction to this.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM

2,186 posts, read 2,919,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Okay, take a step back. The child is 7 years old. They have 7-8 years before they think about High School, IF they even plan on staying in the Chicagoland area.
People are discussing high schools because the OP mentioned having an "older teen." I'm guessing, though, that this older teen might be 18 or 19 and finished with high school already, since the OP mentioned concern about schools for the 7-year-old and not the teen.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
We are looking to rent with a range of $2000-$2500 for a 3 BR and are open to any type of housing as long as a park is nearby - we have a 7 year old and older teen. The older teen would like to be able to walk to things and is excited about a life different than the typical suburbs. We would like to keep one vehicle and like being near theater, arts, and cultural activities.
I have considered Oak Park as an option...however I keep reading about how bad of a neighborhood that Austin is and find that a bit scary...although I know that Oak Park is safe in general. I have considered Lincoln Square, Roscoe Village, possibly West Lakeview near RV and West Andersonville. We want a taste of the city for at least a year...but housing seems limited in that budget and CPS feel overwhelming to find a place within one of the coveted schools. I am also concerned about after school care.
Since my husband does not know where he will be working, and it may be a suburb, his potential commute time is an issue.
I is easy to miss details when posts start getting longer........
It would help if OP provided details to determine if schools involve elementary only. Makes a difference.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I is easy to miss details when posts start getting longer........
Apparently my reading sucks the last two days. Missed it. Sorry. Good point I think the "problem" with the good high schools in Chicago is that they're selective. There are good ones (i.e. Walter Payton Prep) but you know..

Old 06-18-2012, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 4,832 times
My daughter is older and college bound, so I am more concerned with the elementary schools and access to good after school care, activities, etc.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 4,832 times
how is the commute from Evanston to the Western suburbs if that is where my husband gets a job? This moved is based on my promotion and I will be working in the Loop..my husband is unsure of where he will be commuting yet...

Any thoughts on Skokie? I have been researching Elmhurst, La Grange, Park Ridge, Oak Park..and then I think 'why move to the city if we don't live in the city at least one year' and I start to think of Lakeview, Uptown, Lincoln Park...

Old 06-18-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
how is the commute from Evanston to the Western suburbs if that is where my husband gets a job? This moved is based on my promotion and I will be working in the Loop..my husband is unsure of where he will be commuting yet...

Any thoughts on Skokie? I have been researching Elmhurst, La Grange, Park Ridge, Oak Park..and then I think 'why move to the city if we don't live in the city at least one year' and I start to think of Lakeview, Uptown, Lincoln Park...

If you're talking about a western suburb like Elgin, it's around 40 miles. From Evanston, you have to get on I-90 eventually and from Evanston that means either getting on I-94 and then doing a change to I-90 or going about 8-10 miles West on a "main street" to get to I-294 and then xfer to I-90. If it's light traffic, it will take you 45 minutes to an hour to get to a place like Elgin depending on how you speed Add traffic in, and it grows.. By train, you have to go down to the Ogilvie train station downtown and then the train would be somewhere around 75 minutes. Total time from Evanston to a western burb like Elgin on the train could be 2-2.5 hours (if you have to take the Purple Line alllll the way downtown, do some walking, bus, etc). Skokie is fairly diverse, not a bad place. It has a lot of Jewish and Muslims there, so you get some pretty good food. There is a CTA stop in Skokie too (Yellow Line - newest stop. Connects with the Purple/Red Lines at the Howard Station in Rogers Park).

As far as the city goes though. There's really nothing like it. A few suburbs offer some good stuff (i.e. Oak Park, Evanston), but the city...can't beat it. It really depends on your personalities. If you like to try different cuisines, go to art things, concerts, whatever, then the city would be better somewhere. For high schools and such, there are some very, very good schools in Chicago. The best in the state like Walter Payton Prep in the Gold Coast and Northside Prep in North Park just a little NW of Lincoln Square. These two schools are usually ranked #1 and #2 in the state. Thing is, these are selective enrollment schools, so you aren't guaranteed to go there just because you live in the same area.

However, I do know that Lincoln Park High was ranked in the top 100 High Schools nationally a few years ago and is probably the best non selective school in the city. Lake View high is ranked top 75 in the state, and it's a decent school but not of the calibur listed above.

With your budget you can afford to live in the city in a 3 bedroom (As I showed you even in Lakeview you could) if you want, just not downtown unless you got extremely lucky somehow. Living in the city will obviously be easier for your commute to the loop (i.e. CTA), but I think the two unknowns come down to your husband and what he'll be comfortable with if he doesn't get a job in the city easily reachable by public transit, and also the school situation. The suburbs are cheaper and all, but there is something to be said about living in the city and being able to think "oh hey, I'm bored at home..I think I'll go outside and find something to do right outside of my front door or within a block" or whatever else. Personally I grew up in a suburban environment, and while it was nice, I would have preferred the city. Everyone is different though.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:44 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Oak Park is the western inner ring suburb that shares a border with the City of Chicago. It is an upscale community with all the conveniences and amenities one would expect. The library offers excellent programs for children. You'll find trains, bus, zipcar, limo and taxi. Most Illinois elementary schools are quite decent. Other educational options include private, religious, gifted, Montessori, and home school. It is a very diverse community that is attractive to families and professionals. If it wasn't safe the doctors, CEOs and millionaires would be long gone. With your budget I think you would not live anywhere near Austin.

Oak Park has also been listed in the Top Ten eight different times by media from American Planning Association, CNNMoney, Chicago Magazine, Chicago Reader and The View.
Oak Park Regional Housing Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago