Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 AM

306 posts, read 701,223 times

Advertisements

I have found a great sublet for the exact timeframe I need for a studio at Presidential Towers in The Loop off West Madison Avenue. Me and the leaseholder agreed that I could just take over living there and it's no big deal. But I read reviews of Presidential Towers and they said the security is very aggressive. Will they know if I am coming and going with someone else's key? Does anyone know what the current fee is to transfer a lease? I will only be taking over for four months and I would prefer all the costs go in this girl's name so I can just pay her and not be held liable for anything. Has anyone sublet a place from Presidential Towers? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:26 AM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
No idea about PT, but I think the only time you may have an issue is if you get locked out. They will probably check to see your ID to make sure it matches what's on file for the lease.. But a complex of that size, I doubt they would have any way to police who is on a lease and who is not.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:25 AM

Right, I had the same thought -- how would they even know? But people complained about having to check in guests and my same thought applies -- how would they even know who is a guest and who isn't? They must have some sort of system. Relying on people's honesty doesn't really need like it would be a legitimate business practice.

Old 06-20-2012, 11:48 AM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
They do have very aggressive security, and I believe they take the residents picture to match with the keycard access at the front door .. They were having a lot of issues with people moving in with friends, people switching apartments, etc ..Your chances of being found out are much greater here than in other properties If what you and the tenant are doing violates the lease, they can take action to 'evict' the tenant and you're both out of luck .. Chicago has the Landlord Tenant Act that requires subletting to be permitted..so it would be best to work with management ( they might have fees, want to run a credit check on you, etc) .. Not sure of any other benefit for you to become a long term house sitter .. Plus , somehow you'd want them to have any emergency contact info that pointed to you versus the former tenant ..

Old 06-20-2012, 11:52 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
They do have very aggressive security, and I believe they take the residents picture to match with the keycard access at the front door .. They were having a lot of issues with people moving in with friends, people switching apartments, etc ..Your chances of being found out are much greater here than in other properties If what you and the tenant are doing violates the lease, they can take action to 'evict' the tenant and you're both out of luck .. Chicago has the Landlord Tenant Act that requires subletting to be permitted..so it would be best to work with management ( they might have fees, want to run a credit check on you, etc) .. Not sure of any other benefit for you to become a long term house sitter .. Plus , somehow you'd want them to have any emergency contact info that pointed to you versus the former tenant ..
Agreed. Plus, it's possible that some staff don't recognize you and see you everyday, and think you're trespassing. Unlikely, but still. It's best to let management know you're actually there instead of trying to play some game in this building.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:20 PM

528 posts, read 711,162 times
If you let the management know, chances are there are fees involved for move-in/move-out and lease fee. I would keep quiet about the whole thing, unless you don't mind paying the fees. If you are ever caught, never say you are "leasing/renting". Just say you are staying with a friend for a week or two.

Now if they do look at your picture on computer , then you might be out of luck..

Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM

968 posts, read 2,664,621 times
Here's a scenario ..you lose the card key used for access ( or apartment keys ..locked out) ..Go to the Management Office to get a replacement .. They will ask for a picture ID ...whoooops ..doesn't match who they think is in the apartment .. and you aren't on any legal document .. Lots of explaining , etc .. it'll be a while before you get access .. and ..BUSTED..
The 'staying with a friend' won't work there because they are very strict about registering guests in and out , and it's a policy /in the leases about how many days overnight guests can stay .. The place is different than many other rental developments in that respect ..it's the one place I would expect that playing games about non-lease cohabitation , squatting, or what the OP described will be found out ..

Old 06-20-2012, 06:25 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,677,707 times
Try to find a place somewhere else. I know some people who have lived there and don't have anything pleasant to say about it.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Try to find a place somewhere else. I know some people who have lived there and don't have anything pleasant to say about it.
It's only for four months. And the pictures of the unit I am taking look very nice. It's one mile from my office. Apparently there is a grocery store and restaurants right inside the building. And I will be paying less than I pay to live in dumpy Somerville, MA (basically a district of Boston). To me it seems win/win. I have heard the clientele includes a lot of foreign exchange students and transient people and the management can be dicks. I don't really care as long as I keep to myself.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:01 PM

I have asked the leaseholder to see what the options/costs are for giving me authorized access and I have asked her if she thinks they will be able to know I don't actually have a lease there. For the sake of this thread's posterity, I will report back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago