Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 AM

215 posts, read 151,550 times

Advertisements

I work in Chicago Downtown. Currently staying very close to my office in West Loop. I just walk for 15 Mins from my current place. But its very expensive and not kid-friendly. Hard to find good schooling / daycare around

My work timings are not regular. I usually start to work anytime b/n 10 - 10.30 AM.

I am unable to make up my mind whether to stay in Suburb or within City itself. These are the factors:

1. I am scared of the winter here. Its been one year here and last year the winter was a breeze.
2. I would like to limit my commute time to 45 Mins on way.
3. I have a 2.5 year old kid. We are looking for daycare / pre-school to put him in so my wife can start working.
4. Good schooling is as important.
5. Budget for monthly rental is around 1200. One bed.
6. I can start as early as 9.0 AM instead of 10 - 10.30 am

I would have easily decided and moved to Naperville, Westmont, etc suburbs. But unfortunately there are no express trains (as far as I researched), after 8.30 AM and frequency is less after 9 AM. After 9, the commute to office is 1.20 mins way (as per Google Maps). This handicapped me in selecting any suburb hands-down. But I am not sure if I still should go ahead and opt any burb.

I am an Indian-American. Would like my kid to have good company to play with.

I am sure lot of people would've gone through this debate themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 06:25 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Where in the Loop are you working? Look at the Lincoln Square/Ravenswood area maybe. You could even get a 2 bedroom for $1200/month I bet up there (my gf has a 2 bedroom that goes for around there in the area) and it's right on the Brown Line meaning it goes right into the western part of the Loop..commute should be within your range, but that depends on where in the loop you actually work. I have seen a good number of kids up there. Seems like a mix of families and younger-ish professionals up there.

Another area might be Roscoe Village if you want to go the 1 bedroom route. I think you could find one up there for that price and it's closer than Lincoln Square/Ravenswood to the Loop again on the brown line by a few stops..A number of families live around there too.

Last edited by marothisu; 06-21-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks!

Office is Opposite to J.P Morgan Chase building in Madison.
How good are the schools in Lincoln Square?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:16 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Coonley and Waters are two schools in that area, both are very good.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM

Chase Tower? If so, you could take the Brown Line directly to Washington/Wells and then walk a few blocks. It's a little less than 1/4 mile, so it would take maybe 3-5 minutes to walk that. If you lived near the Damen-Brown line stop for example, your total commute on the train would be around 28-30 minutes I bet, and plus walking from the stop to work adds a few more minutes.

As far as the schools up in Lincoln Square/Ravenswood and Roscoe Village, I don't have kids so I'm not sure, but I believe other posters on here have had young children go through the schools up there and mentioned they were good. I would ask them though.

The areas are good. Ravenswood is where Rahm Emmanuel lives, and the area is very affordable unless you want to buy a single family home ($500k+), but the rent is affordable for a great area of Chicago. It's quiet and there's green space up there. I've seen organized baseball games going on with kids who were maybe 10 years old in the neighborhood. There's Winnemac Park which is a big park and there's a park on Montrose (where the baseball field is), and then Homer Park is right near there too. I've heard kids "playing" outside too before when I've been at my girlfriend's.

There are things to do up there too. Restaurants, bars, gyms, coffee shops, movie theaters (Davis Theater - Much cheaper than downtown. It's an older theater, but still fine). Even the Old Town School of Folk Music (which has little concerts too).

I think some posters on here can tell you about the schools and kid stuff better than me though Just saying what I've observed by being in the area numerous times.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:37 AM

Here's a video about Lincoln Square

Ravenswood is right next door/around..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:09 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Agree with the other posters. Perfect area for you. And it's nice that your commute is a little later in the morning. You will miss the rush hour craziness.

Also, Devon street with many Indian restaurants/grocery stores is up on the north side just a couple miles North of Lincoln Square/Ravenswood.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:27 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Agree with the other posters. Perfect area for you. And it's nice that your commute is a little later in the morning. You will miss the rush hour craziness.

Also, Devon street with many Indian restaurants/grocery stores is up on the north side just a couple miles North of Lincoln Square/Ravenswood.
Not to mention that most of Lincoln Square is part of the 47th Ward, which is represented by Ameya Pawar, Chicago's first Alderman of Indian descent (he was born here, but his parents are from India).

Old 06-21-2012, 08:33 AM

Thanks all. Much appreciated!

Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Just curios. Anyone has any idea on Schools in Lincoln Square?
How does it compare to Oak Park?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago