Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 12:34 PM

15 posts, read 25,587 times

Advertisements

Here's the situation. I'm currently in NYC; however, my employer has offered me an amazing opportunity to relocate to their chicago office to accept a promotion. My salary will be 90K. I'm in my mid twenties, and for the most part, I've only resided on the East Coast, therefore, all of my friends and family are in this region.

I'm quite adventurous and I want to take advantage of the opportunity, but I also want to ensure that I have the support of my family. I spoke with my mother; unfortunately she's dead set against me moving. She doesn't like the idea of me being so far away.

What would you do? Would you throw caution to the wind, or would you decline the promotion and play it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,061,955 times
90k in Chicago will go a long ways.

Move and send your mom flowers once a month.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Your mother shouldn't be dictating your life, regardless of her intentions. If you truly want to go, then go.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:16 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Your mother shouldn't be dictating your life, regardless of her intentions. If you truly want to go, then go.
This.

I'm all for respecting one's parents, but once you're an adult you have to live your own life. Your mother will grow to accept your choice. And, if she doesn't, then your only other choice would have been to live a life of servile regret. Given the choice, I'd rather live my own life.

Disclaimer: I grew up on the West Coast, where my parents still live, and I've haven't lived within 1,500 miles of them in near 20 years.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:17 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,691,991 times
90k in your mid-twenties? what company do you work for? i think i'm missing something.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne4321 View Post
Here's the situation. I'm currently in NYC; however, my employer has offered me an amazing opportunity to relocate to their chicago office to accept a promotion. My salary will be 90K. I'm in my mid twenties, and for the most part, I've only resided on the East Coast, therefore, all of my friends and family are in this region.

I'm quite adventurous and I want to take advantage of the opportunity, but I also want to ensure that I have the support of my family. I spoke with my mother; unfortunately she's dead set against me moving. She doesn't like the idea of me being so far away.

What would you do? Would you throw caution to the wind, or would you decline the promotion and play it safe?
I would move honestly. 90K in your mid 20s in Chicago? Yes please. You could live in any neighborhood you want...Chicago is a little like NYC, but less expensive and a little smaller.

My Uncle is from Queens and visited me for the first time a few years ago here and said he'd move here in a heartbeat if it was warmer in the winter (he lives in LA now). I wanted to move to NYC (as you can tell, I have a lot of family there), but I got the job here and don't even want to move to NYC anymore. It's pretty good here. Not everything is, but it's a nice place here.

As far as your mom goes..you're an adult. Also, it's pretty easy to visit NYC. There's actually a cheap "shuttle" between here and NYC and the flight is not that long. I have a coworker whose boyfriend lives in NYC and visits for cheap at least one weekend per month.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:23 PM

472 posts, read 1,097,568 times
Go, honey. Life is too short to let others influence you. I LOVE my parents, they're my very best friends but how often do these opportunities come along everyday. Chicago is a fabulous city and I have no doubt you will love it. You sound a little like myself, listen to your intuition and instinct. It never lies.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:32 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
$90k/year will enable a good life, especially as a young single person. I earned the equivalent to that in my mid-20s and it was a fun time. You can afford to live in any neighborhood on that. You can't afford to live in any style of housing in every neighborhood on that, but you can afford at least a 1-bedroom in any neighborhood (and probably a 2-bedroom in most) with that and still have plenty left over for going out (or for doing the responsible thing and saving it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
90k in your mid-twenties? what company do you work for? i think i'm missing something.
Tech or consulting or trading would all pay that much to a sizable portion of 20-somethings working in those fields in Chicago. And smart, ambitious people can get to that in their mid-20s in a lot of other industries, too. Some industries you'd have to be working so much you wouldn't have time to spend it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandur View Post
90k in Chicago will go a long ways.
Yep. Not quite rich, but certainly not pauper's wages here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I would move honestly. 90K in your mid 20s in Chicago? Yes please.
According to the BLS inflation calculator that's the equivalent of $65k/year back in 1999.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:35 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,318 times
With that type of salary, you could afford to fly out and make some nice surprise visits several times a year.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:39 PM

15 posts, read 25,587 times
I should add that my mom has a chronic medical condition. She's a bit worried that if she gets sick, I won't be available to take care of her.

I feel so selfish, but I'm leaning towards accepting the promotion. FYI, I work in business consulting at a top global firm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago