Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:20 AM

358 posts, read 1,914,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Live in the city, and the majority of your income is eaten away by the cost of living and taxes through the roof. My girlfriends family, who used to live in the city, can't afford to move back now because their house that once costed 130,000k is now being sold for over 400,000k.

Ridiculous. The entire state is. For that price in most other states, I could be living VERY well off in a house with an actual backyard and a couple of acres to boot.
Isn't that the point of living in the city? If everyone in Chicago had "an actual backyard with a couple of acres", it wouldn't be a city. If you want land, go live in the middle of nowhere. Good luck trying to find a job to pay for it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 05:41 PM

29 posts, read 85,554 times
Thanks very much for everyones input! A lot of useful input and areas were mentioned that I haven't known about. I will look into them. Thanks!

I did some digging and had found that Naperville sounded like a decent suburb if I wanted to start outside for the first 6 months, absorb the area and then move inward maybe later. Also, I had been looking toward Lincoln Park and Lake View. Another thread said those areas were pretty good and full of people in my age group. I have looked at apartment costs in those areas and they seem very within reach. Those areas are really close to the action and I think that is what I really want... But exactly where my job may end up is still unknown. Plus I would like you guys to give me your feedback on those areas.

I think, in the alarm industry, my years of experience should get me close to the top of what they are offering. Thanks CarolinaBredChicagoan for your links, I had also searched and seen a lot of listings. I have a nice resume in that field, so I am excited that I may be pretty comfortable financialy.

If I live in Lincoln Park. Should I plan to publicly transport most the time? Should I only have a car if my job ends up in a suburb? I noticed some apartments say they have parking, some don't. The ones that do will probably charge extra though... I will have to ask about that for sure.
I have an alarm on my car that pages me but that is only good if you are quick and bad enough to run out there and kick a thugs butt... Don't know if that is me Anyway, my car has pretty nice mods... In the city it would likely be a target. So I am thinking about selling it and getting a less noticeable pick-up. That will probably be better for winters as well. Or maybe I won't "need" a car at all... Maybe I could just leave my car parked here in Huntsville at my dad's house. What do you guys think?

I am looking to Chicago because the scene and market are great for the music I am into. I was born in Detroit so I have family there and in Alabama... Both those areas will be within reach from Chicago. I'm looking to Chicago over Detroit for better music scene, better economy, and likely a bit safer, plus nicer city. Also, I have always wanted to get out by myself and live in a big city. To experience the big city life and see how it changes me. Even if only for a few years... Or forever!

Most importantly... the Red Wings, Lions, Pistons, & Tigers will be coming to town often (You guys hate me now)

I am thinking about coming up and having a look at some areas Halloween weekend. Lions are in town to play the Bears so I may try to include going to that game.

Last I wanted to say... I can't believe a couple people who know Huntsville has chimed in! Thanks for your comment as well sukwoo, I don't think I will look back either... I have been wanting out for awhile. Huntsville is a beautiful town that is growing very fast and has a great economy. However, people for the most part are just too narrow-minded around here for me. They really are 20yrs behind any major city in the world. I don't fit in well here. I wonder why live here when there is a Chicago

Old 10-02-2007, 06:10 PM

Wow, just seen that the job that states it tops out at $35/hr is right in Lincoln Park... Within walking distance of apartments I was looking at. The main nightclubs I plan to try to network with are near there as well. What are your thoughts on Lincoln Park?

Last edited by Play; 10-02-2007 at 06:29 PM..

Old 10-02-2007, 06:19 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,352,184 times
It's good that you're doing your homework. We're happy to help.

If you're into the music scene, I'll really recommend the city. The burbs are nice and safe, but better for the with-kids set in my opinion. Naperville is pretty far out. If you really want to start with a burb, I'd go for one closer in. I moved straight into the city, myself, and was pleased with that decision. It's nice to live near fun things to do.

In the city you don't need a car. It can help and open up your options for work. If you have a car you're partial to, street parking isn't always the best idea. Parking can be expensive in the city, but that all depends.

As for sports? I have proudly attended a Bears/Panthers game in my Carolina regalia. It was intimidating, but fun. I'm a Cubs fan, though.

Anyway, good luck with all.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 PM

Lincoln Park is pretty cool. We went through it pretty well in some other threads. It's a little yuppie for some. I'm trying to think of what clubs are there, though.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:47 PM

Thanks for your replies CarolinaBredChicagoan... Crobar is the main nightclub I am excited about going to. I have found many other clubs with my preferred music format. I have already made a few contacts in the chicago scene as well.

So, is Lincoln Park a pretty neat/clean area? Nice shopping as well? Everyone tell me what they know about Lincoln Park please .

Thanks you guys!... I'm getting excited!

Old 10-04-2007, 10:02 AM

5,523 posts, read 13,918,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Last I wanted to say... I can't believe a couple people who know Huntsville has chimed in! Thanks for your comment as well sukwoo, I don't think I will look back either... I have been wanting out for awhile. Huntsville is a beautiful town that is growing very fast and has a great economy. However, people for the most part are just too narrow-minded around here for me. They really are 20yrs behind any major city in the world. I don't fit in well here. I wonder why live here when there is a Chicago
Yeah, Huntsville fine for what it is. My family still lives there and I go back occasionally to visit. Everytime I return, though, I get annoyed at the conservatism, the heat, and the general slowness of the place. I guess twenty years away have turned me into a pushy, fast-talking, fast-driving, crazy liberal yankee.

Naperville is very nice, but its fairly suburban and pretty decent hike to the city. If you live there, going to Chicago will be a major endeavor, (ie, something you have to plan out, not a spur of the moment kind of thing). It feels a bit like Huntsville to me, actually, mostly strip malls and stuff with a small (but vibrant) downtown area.

Lincoln Park, Wicker Park, Lakeview, etc, are nice, densely populated, mostly safe neighborhoods. You can walk pretty much everywhere and on street parking will be expensive. IMO, I'd want to live there, initially to get the full Chicago experience. If you can find a reasonably priced off-street parking spot, you could keep your car, as it will come in handy on occasion. Keep in mind, the costs of owning a car (insurance, gas, city stickers, etc) will be a lot higher here than in bama. You could consider ditching your car and joining a car sharing service (zipcar or i-go).

Old 10-04-2007, 10:09 AM

As for the car, the more I think about it, the better idea I think it is to leave your car with your Pops in Bama, live here for a while sans car, and bring it up if/when you decide you need it.

The only reason I can't endorse that 100% is because I feel like home security jobs would be easier to snag if you have a car. Then again, you may have transportation provided.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Thanks a lot you guys. Your insight is VERY HELPFUL. Some of the security jobs specify that they do provide a take-home vehicle, yet that is only some of them. So I will have to work on that plan... I will have to look into what Uncle Sam will charge me to have my car as well. Huntsville is a nice city but I agree... Very slow and conservative. It gets very old and I can't wait to get out. I go to major cities all the time and always think I would love to live in one. Chicago just seems to be the perfect choise for what I am looking for. I haven't found any negative input on Lincoln Park and it seems to be a good choice as well. I will likely have a studio apartment to start out with around March 08. I am working to get a couple things paid off right now. I will be debt free (not even a car payment)with all the tools I need to produce quality tunes (including great headphones since I will be starting out in an apt) and I will be in a market that thrives... Plus I will automaticly get more respect from promoters elsewhere being from Chicago rather then Huntsville! CANT WAIT!!

Thanks for your input... You guys rock!

Last edited by Play; 10-04-2007 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2007, 12:07 AM

36 posts, read 244,970 times
Wicker Park, Ukrainian Village, Bucktown - but you could live pretty much anywhere on the North Side and be happy. Also, West Loop or South Loop. There are tons of venues all over town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago