Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Not always, only sometimes. We can agree to disagree. It's obvious you won't listen to someone who has two decades of personal experience. So we can agree to disagree in the end.
Clearly you're deeply invested in your perceptions. That doesn't mean I need to be, nor am I obligated to regard them as authoritative like you seem to think I am. It's not like I've never been in Minnesota in the summer, or all around the Midwest for that matter. Twin Cities, Madison, Wautoma, Dubuque, Rockford, Kalamazoo, Chicago... from here northward July in the Midwest feels the same to me, at least until you get into the Northwoods. Of course perceptions are just that, and they're subjective by nature. But the difference between my perception and yours is that mine is corroborated by objective data, namely the very similar average temp/humidity/dew point combo found throughout the upper Midwest -- which is nothing close to that in Kuala Lumpur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Clearly you're deeply invested in your perceptions. That doesn't mean I need to be, nor am I obligated to regard them as authoritative like you seem to think I am. It's not like I've never been in Minnesota in the summer, or all around the Midwest for that matter. Twin Cities, Madison, Wautoma, Dubuque, Rockford, Kalamazoo, Chicago... from here northward July in the Midwest feels the same to me, at least until you get into the Northwoods. The difference between my perception and yours is that mine is corroborated by objective data, namely the very similar average temp/humidity/dew point combo found throughout the upper Midwest -- which is nothing close to that in Kuala Lumpur.
I didn't say Kuala Lumpur was the same. I said the datum was similar in many months (under 6% difference) in the afternoons. There's a difference. And we don't have to talk about it. We both know that my 22 summers in Minnesota mean nothing obviously. Honestly, this reminds me of when my coworker and another were talking about weather versus two places, and my coworker who spent only a month in the place versus my coworker who had spent 30 years there, wouldn't listen to the person who was there for...30 years. In my mind it's called stubbornness, but whatever. You win Drover. You obviously know more than someone who spent 22 years there.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:16 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,231,041 times
Who takes opinion over fact? Seriously?

Old 07-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannheimMadman View Post
Who takes opinion over fact? Seriously?
There's only been one fact stated here. In meteorology, there's more at hand than just one measure. I could easily compare two temperatures and state the higher one "feels" hotter without actually bringing up humidity, dew point, wind speed and direction, etc into the mix. In this case, Tucson is automatically more uncomfortable than Houston because their average summer temperatures are higher than Houston's, when in fact, it's not as black and white as this. It's an entire system, so there are many other factors that go into how something "feels" than temperature and even mean relative humidity. Even how much sunshine there is or how much wind there is and from which direction plays a role in how warm it feels out (obviously).

Heat Index is actually the index in a light wind with a lot of shade.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,823,164 times
Quote:
I didn't say Kuala Lumpur was the same. I said the datum was similar in many months (under 6% difference) in the afternoons. There's a difference. And we don't have to talk about it. We both know that my 22 summers in Minnesota mean nothing obviously. Honestly, this reminds me of when my coworker and another were talking about weather versus two places, and my coworker who spent only a month in the place versus my coworker who had spent 30 years there, wouldn't listen to the person who was there for...30 years. In my mind it's called stubbornness, but whatever. You win Drover. You obviously know more than someone who spent 22 years there.
Look, I'm thoroughly convinced that you believe Minnesota summers are more stifling than Chicago summers. Now, if it weren't for the sheer novelty of such a claim combined with the lack of any factual or rational or common-sense basis for it, not to mention my own experiences to the contrary in numerous comparable locations, I'd be more inclined to accept your perception at face value. If you personally think summers are easier to bear in Chicago, it's no skin off my nose for you to believe that and I have no interest in trying to persuade you otherwise. What I don't understand is why your perception demands my validation.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Look, I'm thoroughly convinced that you believe Minnesota summers are more stifling than Chicago summers. Now, if it weren't for the sheer novelty of such a claim combined with the lack of any factual or rational or common-sense basis for it, not to mention my own experiences to the contrary in numerous comparable locations, I'd be more inclined to accept your perception at face value. If you personally think summers are easier to bear in Chicago, it's no skin off my nose for you to believe that and I have no interest in trying to persuade you otherwise. What I don't understand is why your perception demands my validation.
I know exactly what you're saying, Drover, but I am still sticking to my guns. Weird thing is that I never do this, but I believe an experience like weather to be different for everyone, which is quite obvious. I may be more sensitive to ____ than you, and you might be more sensitive to ____ than me. It's what is going on here. You can show me all the data you want, but the fact of the matter is that I (and many others who grew up in MN) would rather be in the city of Chicago within 4 miles of Lake Michigan than spend summer in MN.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 PM

928 posts, read 1,705,689 times
Quote:
That's awesome and all, but I hope you realize I grew up in Minnesota for the first 18 years of my life, and spent 3 summers there during college, and a month after graduation in the summer. Chicago is nothing compared to Minnesota humidity on average. But then again, what do I know? I must have been hibernating during 21 summers and just making things up.
Quote:
You can choose to not listen to me all you want, but I've lived in both places, and Minnesota is a lot worse in the summers than Chicago humidity wise.
Quote:
It's not about who's right, it's about what the right answer it. Again, you can look at data all you want, but I'm actually a person who spent over 20 summers in Minnesota, and I've spent a handful of summers in Chicago.
O hai marothisu. I just moved from Minnesota in May of 2011. Humidity levels here and there are almost exactly the same.

So back to how *bleep*ing hot is.

Holy gods! On the 4th I took my bike to the store which is all of two and a half blocks away, considering walking that far felt like crossing the Sahara, and it was the most miserable 2.5 blocks of my life. I stopped in for a whole 3 minutes, and by the time I came back out, my bicycle seat was on fire, and burned the living Christ out of my ass.

Just so you guys know, all this time, I've been putting off installing my window a/c unit for a variety of asinine reasons (it's too heavy, fans are better than the environment, don't want to chip my nail polish, general laziness...), but when I came home from a 2 minute bike ride and my clothes were plastered to my skin, and I returned to my apt to NO relief, I throw a righteous fit, declared "EFF THIS!" and finally put the damn thing in. By the time I was done, sweat was dripping into my eyes and I was swearing more than anyone should on a holiday.

I've at long last cooled my bedroom down to feeling like a cozy little igloo, and am probably never going to leave until summer's over. Sorry rest of the apartment and universe, we'll talk in September.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
O hai marothisu. I just moved from Minnesota in May of 2011. Humidity levels here and there are almost exactly the same.
Hai. What part are you from?

Old 07-06-2012, 05:40 PM

928 posts, read 1,705,689 times
Mpls. And --before you start-- have spent much time during the summer, like all good Minnesotans, up Nort and have also spent a regrettable amount of time in Mankato.

Old 07-06-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorielicious View Post
Mpls. And --before you start-- have spent much time during the summer, like all good Minnesotans, up Nort and have also spent a regrettable amount of time in Mankato.
LOL.."nort"..You are a true Minnesotan..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago