Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,237,819 times

Advertisements

If anything "the media" sounds like their burying the questionable records of "the rappers;" notice all the references to "getting his life back on track," "working hard to turn things around" "making strides from his troubled past" from their friends and family in the CBN article. The article doesn't articulate what necessitated their reformation.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
Let me be blunt: I'm black, I used to live in Lakeview and been around Wrigleyville a few times, especially back in the days when Wild Hare was still there. I can swear on my mother's grave that I have heard and witness drunk white guys shouting the "N-word" towards blacks. Not taking sides one way or the other (I honestly don't care all that much but somehow felt compelled to reply), and obviously beating someone for calling you names isn't cool, but let's not be so quick to pretend that things couldn't have happened the way they said it did, that they didn't start the altercation.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,527,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Let me be blunt: I'm black, I used to live in Lakeview and been around Wrigleyville a few times, especially back in the days when Wild Hare was still there. I can swear on my mother's grave that I have heard and witness drunk white guys shouting the "N-word" towards blacks. Not taking sides one way or the other (I honestly don't care all that much but somehow felt compelled to reply), and obviously beating someone for calling you names isn't cool, but let's not be so quick to pretend that things couldn't have happened the way they said it did, that they didn't start the altercation.

That sort of stuff happens all the time, trust me. I have a friend who has worked in numerous bars and clubs on the north side and he always has stories of drunk white tossing around racial slurs. Many of these guys end up getting their asses beat. I've also experienced it first-hand. It's nothing new and to be expected.

Last edited by Chicago South Sider; 07-09-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM

7,099 posts, read 8,868,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
If anything "the media" sounds like their burying the questionable records of "the rappers;" notice all the references to "getting his life back on track," "working hard to turn things around" "making strides from his troubled past" from their friends and family in the CBN article. The article doesn't articulate what necessitated their reformation.
What's the history with the guys on the street who got beat up. What type of past did they have. Where the meth heads or intoxicated. Or where they klan members or frequent stormfront on their iPhone.

There are so many ways this thing could go.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:22 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,287,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
That sort of stuff happens all the time, trust me. I have a friend who has worked in numerous bars and clubs on the north side and he always has stories of drunk white tossing around racial slurs. Many of these guys end up getting their asses beat. I've also experienced it first-hand. It's nothing new and to be expected.s
Oh, I know, I just think it's funny when people make comments with the assumptions that these guys got in a limo and drove up north with the sole purpose to beat and rob whites.

Meh, I've grown cynical and kind of given in to all this. It is what it is and it doesn't seem like things are going to change. Some of the online comments I've seen about this has been revolting, but then again, online comment boards (and forums like these) brings out the trolls and racists like flies to a dead body. Again, it could just be b/c I'm feeling a bit (correction-quite) cynical at the moment, but these issues are problems Chicago won't be able to shake off for a while.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 8,868,469 times
Quote:
It's nothing new and to be expected.s
That's a sad statement but so true.

When I was called that the other day I acted as if it was expected from the community. It's a sad testimony to a neighborhood the promotes itself as being so progressive and liberal.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,237,819 times
Well, it works both ways. I am white and have been harassed several times when I was the only white person around, the most recent time riding my bike through Lawndale by a group of about a dozen kids standing on the corner.

However, I did not get off the bike and fight them!

Personally, I also don't really care that much about this incident. People get wrecked in Wrigleyville, they are bad drunks, and who knows what happened. I almost got into it with some 300 pound belligerent farm boy who was screaming at some poor girl calling her every name in the book last year, which is probably the closest I have come to a fistfight in Chicago.

Although I think I was within a hair's breadth of being mugged outside Cabrini on Chicago Ave. one night, though I'll never really know.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,753,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I'm sure the rappers told the police their side of the story just like the guys who took the beating.

The media sucks for not reporting the story.
First of all, a lot of police aren't allowed to comment on anything to the media until an investigation is done. They could have said all they want, but you aren't going to hear a police comment on anything more than "we had a few guys out here get beat up." Pretty much objective, run of the mill crap. Nothing more comes out until more witnesses come out of the woodwork or the police investigation is done...or the trial is underway.

Second of all, telling someone your side of the story at the time of the crime is only worthy of exactly that - a blurb in the news.

Again, in the trial things will come out if there was more to it than most media is reporting on. It's a court of law and usually things come out and the true story is heard.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM

130 posts, read 169,414 times
Quote:
That sort of stuff happens all the time, trust me. I have a friend who has worked in numerous bars and clubs on the north side and he always has stories of drunk white tossing around racial slurs. Many of these guys end up getting their asses beat. I've also experienced it first-hand. It's nothing new and to be expected.s
Chicago South Sider, you seem to be taking a "move along, nothing to see here" attitude regarding this. And then you're confused why some here are condemning the behavior of the four assailants. People are supposed to exercise self-control and not to go off the handle just because someone says something offensive. If someone yells out a racial slur, you don't respond by assaulting random people in the street (including a young man coming out of a pizza shop and an off-duty cop) and then continuing to cause disruption down the street (from the Chicago Breaking News article).

If someone did use a racial slur, that is despicable and should be morally condemned, but, of course, it's not illegal. You seem to be taking the position that as long as someone says something offensive enough (e.g., using a racial slur, calling a woman a sl*t, or the like), that gives the listener the right to resort to violent behavior. That's wrong.

Also, as a side note, the main Chicago Breaking News article reads somewhat like a press release for the 4 assailants. Quote after quote about what good guys these are, how they're changing their lives around, and how this was all just a brawl instigated by the use of the n-word. (As an aside, if you're in the process of changing your life around and already on parole, it might not be the best time to get in this type of public brawl.) Also, were the family members witnesses to the event? Do we have any quotes from real witnesses? The article seems to put a lot of creedence into what the family members think happened, but it doesn't really tell us anything.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:40 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,753,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
Well, it works both ways. I am white and have been harassed several times when I was the only white person around, the most recent time riding my bike through Lawndale by a group of about a dozen kids standing on the corner.

However, I did not get off the bike and fight them!

Personally, I also don't really care that much about this incident. People get wrecked in Wrigleyville, they are bad drunks, and who knows what happened. I almost got into it with some 300 pound belligerent farm boy who was screaming at some poor girl calling her every name in the book last year, which is probably the closest I have come to a fistfight in Chicago.

Although I think I was within a hair's breadth of being mugged outside Cabrini on Chicago Ave. one night, though I'll never really know.
Yep, exactly. I tend to brush off people who have been drinking. I've learned that a midwestern farm boy + alcohol does not mix. People tend to get stupid when they're drunk. Sometimes the truth comes out in what's going on in their minds, but I learn to brush it off too. Many people are complete ignoramuses when they drink.

It really wouldn't surprise me if the whole music video thing was true. I could definitely see some drunk idiots giving them crap and whatever. Which would kind of suck, at least the guys who were doing the video were trying to do something different, and ran into a bunch of idiots. In the end though, they should have practiced more self restraint. Words can hurt sometimes, but you have to learn to be the better man and not start anything because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago