Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:03 PM

15 posts, read 28,031 times

Advertisements

Midday news reported that the individual with the broken jaw, came out a restaurant before getting hit. Also two of the attackers had warrants out for them, and the other two have had run ins with the cops.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Native 773 View Post
Midday news reported that the individual with the broken jaw, came out a restaurant before getting hit. Also two of the attackers had warrants out for them, and the other two have had run ins with the cops.
Does that change the story?

NO!

Your post is one sided. Let's hear about the persons history who grabbed the rapper?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,862,711 times
Isn't amazing that blacks and whites can look at the same news story and have such different versions of "reality?" Kind of like the OJ trial, I guess.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:19 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Does that change the story?

NO!

Your post is one sided. Let's hear about the persons history who grabbed the rapper?
Regardless of ANYBODY'S ACTIONS in this case, it was all illegal. It's still illegal to beat someone up. CASE F"ING CLOSED. I don't give a flying f who you are. Famous, rich, poor, stupid, genius, asian, white, black, red, brown, green, purple, etc. It's illegal and not right. This wasn't a case of self defense.

I swear to god, some people go to amazing lengths to defend some people. It's amazing to me. They did something that was illegal. Even if someone called them a name. show some f'ing self restraint! If the other side was truly saying anything bigoted, then they're also dbags. There's no winners in this if that went on.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:31 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Regardless of ANYBODY'S ACTIONS in this case, it was all illegal. It's still illegal to beat someone up. CASE F"ING CLOSED. I don't give a flying f who you are. Famous, rich, poor, stupid, genius, asian, white, black, red, brown, green, purple, etc. It's illegal and not right. This wasn't a case of self defense.

I swear to god, some people go to amazing lengths to defend some people. It's amazing to me. They did something that was illegal. Even if someone called them a name. show some f'ing self restraint!
I just asked a simple question about the history of so called victim. Why the anger? Anyone with any type of discernment wouldn't get mad at people having questions. If someone touches you from behind that will constitute some type of defense. If you think it's ok to put your hands on someone and use racial slurs and not expect some type of altercation to come of that, your dumb. Im sorry to say that. Calling me a n is one thing you touch me in any way is another.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I just asked a simple question about the history of so called victim. Why the anger? Anyone with any type of discernment wouldn't get mad at people having questions.

I'm sorry for my words, but it's getting pretty annoying from pretty much everyone, not just you, that people will defend anybody. On top of it, everybody always has to make everything a racial issue and it's tiring. You know what I see? A group of dbags beat up some potential dbags. That's how I see it. Even if someone GRABS you on the street. Does that constitute an a** kicking? I was walking home one day from a bar last fall, and a guy waiting on a corner randomly grabbed my bicep and wouldn't let go. I didn't kick his a**. I quickly swung my arm to get his hook off me. As far as I'm concerned, grabbing my bicep didn't hurt, and he didn't make any moves at me other than that. Why would I start something up? If he wanted to beat me up, obviously he could have just blind sided me.

Again, show some restraint. Unless the person comes at you with a weapon or takes a jab/punch/swing/kick at you....no. I'm going to walk away. The minute they *actually* kick/punch/etc at you is when it becomes self defense.

Here's what we know, okay?

There was an altercation. Some guys in a limo beat up some people on the street. The guys in the limo got arrested.

Here's the "heresay" that nobody can actually verify *yet*:
The guys were shooting a rap video. Some idiots yelled some racist slurs at them. The above then happened.

Quote:
If someone touches you from behind that will constitute some type of defense. If you think it's ok to put your hands on someone and use racial slurs and not expect some type of altercation to come of that, your dumb. Im sorry to say that. Calling me a n is one thing you touch me in any way is another.
Since when were any of the guys who were arrested attacked themselves? The funny thing is, nobody knows what went on other than what the witnesses were saying, which is in all the news stories.

The family members were saying the guys were shooting a rap video. Fine. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I have not heard one credible report that states any of those guys were grabbed. Where is your credible source?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Is this post some sort of joke? To me, it's nothing but a garden variety fight. I've been in worse altercations myself. To you, it's this big deal. I think you're the one who needs to 'get over it' because there's nothing for me to get over.
This isn't a "big deal" to me. People get assaulted everyday around the world. This act to me is nothing more than dbags beating up potential dbags. I have worked with the media and know how this crap works. You can say all the things you want, but I've actually worked with the filth that runs this crap. They prey on "new"s. There's a reason why people getting killed in Afghanistan isn't front page or even second page news anymore. People have heard it enough times and they stop caring. You really think people are going to buy a newspaper that's reporting on the same exact act everyday for 1 year?

"Two more dead in Afghanistan." It becomes old, so they switch to keep people reading. Then again, what do I know. I don't have any first hand knowledge of how any of this works. I'm just pulling it out of thin air. What I"m referring to before is the fact that people make much too big a deal about the "media." The media reports on what is going to sell and what doesn't happen to much. Furthermore, they report on what they know and it's rare they make up entire events (although I do know first hand that some details of stories get lost, partially due to the incompetence of the reporter or miscommunication).

If you need any real evidence, start buying a newspaper like NY Times, Chicago Tribune, etc everyday (the real paper, not the online edition) and keep track of all the stuff that's going on in the first two pages. After awhile, things become buried unless it's a huge blockbuster trial of a celebrity, because people bend at their knees for celebrities. Not to mention the real news that actually affects our country from overseas economically is buried 5 pages deep in the business section, but that's another story entirely too.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:57 PM

130 posts, read 170,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I'm sorry for my words, but it's getting pretty annoying from pretty much everyone, not just you, that people will defend anybody. Here's what we know, okay?

There was an altercation. Some guys in a limo beat up some people on the street. The guys in the limo got arrested.

Here's the "heresay" that nobody can actually verify *yet*:
The guys were shooting a rap video. Some idiots yelled some racist slurs at them. The above then happened.

Since when were any of the guys who were arrested attacked themselves? The funny thing is, nobody knows what went on other than what the witnesses were saying, which is in all the news stories.

The family members were saying the guys were shooting a rap video. Fine. I will give them the benefit of the doubt. I have not heard one credible report that states any of those guys were grabbed. Where is your credible source?
Her source is the mother of one of the assailants. The exact quote from the Trib is this: "One of the men from the limo -- Corry Simmons, 32 -- was grabbed and punches were thrown, said Lillian Nichols, the mother of one of the other men arrested, Edward Robinson."

Seriously? The "source" is one of the assailants' mothers. And note the use of the passive voice and overall vagueness: Corry Simmons "was grabbed" and punches "were thrown." Of course, the punches that were thrown could have been thrown by the assailants themselves. And we don't know who "grabbed" Mr. Simmons, although we do note that he punched someone leaving a pizza shop. Here's more on Mr. Simmons, buried at the end of the story:

"Simmons was out of jail on bail for a felony cannabis conviction. He has five previous felony convictions, two of them gun-related. He was convicted of possession of a bomb or grenade and also has a felony narcotics conviction on his record. He has a misdemeanor conviction for resisting police."

Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Lundegaard View Post
Her source is the mother of one of the assailants. The exact quote from the Trib is this: "One of the men from the limo -- Corry Simmons, 32 -- was grabbed and punches were thrown, said Lillian Nichols, the mother of one of the other men arrested, Edward Robinson."

Seriously? The "source" is one of the assailants' mothers. And note the use of the passive voice and overall vagueness: Corry Simmons "was grabbed" and punches "were thrown." Of course, the punches that were thrown could have been thrown by the assailants themselves. And we don't know who "grabbed" Mr. Simmons, although we do note that he punched someone leaving a pizza shop. Here's more on Mr. Simmons, buried at the end of the story:

"Simmons was out of jail on bail for a felony cannabis conviction. He has five previous felony convictions, two of them gun-related. He was convicted of possession of a bomb or grenade and also has a felony narcotics conviction on his record. He has a misdemeanor conviction for resisting police."
Pretty vague. "Grabbed" sounds like the guy(s) were grabbed, and "punches thrown" sounds like they threw the punches.

So basically as I see it:

Some guys were shooting a rap video. Some drunk idiots started saying racist things. One of the guys got grabbed. Four guys stood up for them, angered by the racist things being said, and started beating some people up. Some of the people beat up might have been innocent, but who knows. One of the rap guys tried to resist arrest and wrestled the cop for a few seconds. Two groups of people went at it in the end.

Sounds like a typical stupid drunk brawl to me with a bunch of idiots. Just how I see it. IF "punches thrown" were directed at the guys in the limo, then if the guy who threw the punches to them got beat up then he totally deserved it as that's self defense.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Well, this incident is going to works wonders on Chicago's racial issues. Blacks will see this story and (continue to) think that whites living in the North Side areas like Lakeview are racist. Whites will see this story and (continue to) think that blacks from the South and West Sides are violent thugs. Regardless if one side or both sides are right or wrong, this doesn't really help the situation much.
Yep. I look at this and try not to judge, mostly because I'm certainly not going to sit around screaming racial slurs at random people I don't know, and I'm not going to be flying out of a limo throwing punches and attacking people. I think both of those actions are beyond silly and I don't hang out with people like that.

I read the article and shake my head at both sides. The only item that really caught my eye was the random person leaving the pizza place who got punched in the back of the neck and then kicked a few times while he was on the ground. Or the off duty cop who got punched as the guys apparently ran down the street yelling and hitting. That's the only way any of this would come home to me. I walk down that street 5-6 times a year after events that end with us in wrigley bars. I go to dueling pianos sometimes (the rest of the bars make me roll my eyes big timie) and stop off for pizza at 1am.

Most black guys aren't going to fly out of limos attacking people, and on the other end most people hanging at wrigleyville bars are NOT oafy racist white guys who like to fight. There certainly are some on both sides of that picture, but you don't hear about the 75% of people who just shake their heads and think this is just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago