Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,007,090 times

Advertisements

Quick question....I was at a cubs game last week trying to buy a couple tickets outside of Wrigley and a guy came up to me, showed me the badge on his belt. I said "I'm not scalping, just looking for some decent seats at non-scalper prices". He said something to the effect of 'yeh but those guys are licensed brokers'. There was a guy standing 5 feet from me trying to sell (actually, he was directing people over to his buddies who had the tickets on Clark, just south of Casey Moran's).
Anyway, I know these brokers, etc hire off duty cops to harrass the scalpers and other people either trying to buy/sell tix on the street.

Do they have any authority since they are essentially off duty and working private security? What can they do in that position?

A detailed explanation of my rights and his authority in this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 08:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
It's illegal to scalp tickets without a license -- it's not illegal to buy tickets from an unlicensed scalper. Ill-advised perhaps, but not illegal.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
It's illegal to scalp tickets without a license -- it's not illegal to buy tickets from an unlicensed scalper. Ill-advised perhaps, but not illegal.
D, are you CPD? I just want to know what I can say to these guys if they try to harass me for trying to buy tickets outside the stadium, even if I'm not on Cubs property.
As an off-duty cop working security for a ticket broker, what authority do they have?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,452,588 times
If you pay the marked ticket price or less, you are not scalping. (Same goes for the seller)

Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM

320 posts, read 949,775 times
The point is, if they are off-duty, they cannot use their badge like that, especially when in employ of a private entity. Its akin to showing up to work security in your blues and with your service revolver prominent.

Good luck getting that rule enforced, but next time, get the badge number, and report it to the Office of Professional Standards.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:40 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,824,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
next time, get the badge number

and good luck with that one as well. off-duty cops aren't usually too forthcoming with such info, and guess who a uniformed CPD is likely to side with if you flag one down...

Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 PM

320 posts, read 949,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
and good luck with that one as well. off-duty cops aren't usually too forthcoming with such info, and guess who a uniformed CPD is likely to side with if you flag one down...
Just ask the simple question of who are they with....and also make sure its CPD, and not some glorified strip mall security office from Stone Park.

Never flag down an officer to "tattle", go to OPS...things get done better that way.

Moral of the story is, just end up going to cubs games with tickets.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Just ask the simple question of who are they with....and also make sure its CPD, and not some glorified strip mall security office from Stone Park.

Never flag down an officer to "tattle", go to OPS...things get done better that way.

Moral of the story is, just end up going to cubs games with tickets.
80% percent of the time I go without tickets because I can usually get good seats for 1/2 price outside the stadium. Unless I have a group going or I'm not in the mood to buy tickets outside, then I'll use Craigslist or something like that but I actually enjoy the haggling to see how good of a deal I can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago