Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,095,413 times

Advertisements

What's the point of this thread? Aren't most people looking for those things? Aren't there areas of the city that offer them more than others? Isn't that what we tell people??

??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,188,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What's the point of this thread? Aren't most people looking for those things? Aren't there areas of the city that offer them more than others? Isn't that what we tell people??

??
Different people look for different of those things more than others. No place has everything, and there are always tradeoffs. That was what I took to be the point to be. I think it's something people need to be aware of.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 AM

240 posts, read 463,200 times
I think what Manigault is trying to say is that he's tired of seeing the same post over and over again, five times a week, with little variation. I mean, we get your point Manigault, but maybe what we need to do is offer some kind of template for newbies to Chicago since there are literally dozens of neighborhoods that could meet any newcomer's general desires (ie need for transit and max time desired to commute, crime tolerance, need for quiet vs. immediate access to nightlife, etc).

The fact of the matter is, this is a compliment to Chicago. When you move to a smaller city asking for the same things, your options are usually limited to 2-5 neighborhoods. I think most people moving to Chicago don't realize there are as many options as we boast. That's not our new friends' faults by any means. They're just looking for help!

Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 AM

4,632 posts, read 4,927,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

??
Refer to posts #2 and #5 for your answer.

Old 07-14-2012, 01:31 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgMichael View Post
I think what Manigault is trying to say is that he's tired of seeing the same post over and over again, five times a week, with little variation. I mean, we get your point Manigault, but maybe what we need to do is offer some kind of template for newbies to Chicago since there are literally dozens of neighborhoods that could meet any newcomer's general desires (ie need for transit and max time desired to commute, crime tolerance, need for quiet vs. immediate access to nightlife, etc).

The fact of the matter is, this is a compliment to Chicago. When you move to a smaller city asking for the same things, your options are usually limited to 2-5 neighborhoods. I think most people moving to Chicago don't realize there are as many options as we boast. That's not our new friends' faults by any means. They're just looking for help!
At the same time everyone wants a twenty minute commute in a neighborhood that's got great public transportation that's pretty quiet walking distance to happening nightlife and a 3 bedroom with a yard to let the dog run around in for under $900 a month.

People always want a combination of things that don't exist and don't understand why. Because that's what you and 3 million other people want too. Something's got to give.

Last edited by rparz; 07-14-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 07-14-2012, 01:57 PM

472 posts, read 1,093,186 times
Isn't the point of this board to get advice for relocating?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:00 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,668,187 times
Yeah, but that makes great content for a FAQ, not two threads a week.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:33 PM

801 posts, read 2,558,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
Yeah, but that makes great content for a FAQ, not two threads a week.
Maybe we could start working on one.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:35 PM

801 posts, read 2,558,253 times
Actually, linicx has a sticky posted at the top of the Chicago forum. I suppose anyone could contact him if there are suggestions of information to add, or there could be a second sticky that is more narrative.

We would also have to point people to it.

Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,138,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rparz View Post
People always want a combination of things that don't exist and don't understand why. Because that's what you and 3 million other people want too. Something's got to give.
Very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Isn't the point of this board to get advice for relocating?
The quote above is good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: