Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 05:27 PM

4 posts, read 12,798 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I've been scouring this great forum and haven't found info pertinent to my situation so I thought I'd ask you fine folks. We're looking at a property that is borderline East Garfield Park, borderline North Lawndale and (I believe) a block away from Pilsen. It is just south of 290 on Congress Parkway in between California and Western, just west of Altgeld Park and down the street from Attack Athletics. I know the deal with EGP, but on my multiple trips to the area/street during the day and night, both through the week and weekends, it doesn't seem to have the usual riff-raff. It just seems more desolate than anything else.

I realize this may be a shot in the dark due to this specialized location, but if anyone has any experience with this area I would love to hear their opinion. If it is text book EGP then I would walk away immediately due to my sister and girlfriend living with me, but I was wondering if perhaps this might be an anomaly, etc.

I'm a city veteran, having lived in Wicker Park, Lake View, Near West Side (just west of the UC), and Oak Park as well, but know little about this specific area. Obviously concerned about possible crime, warzones, etc BTW, we all rely on our own transportation to get to school/work, and my job is in the Loop. Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the long first post...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 05:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
I don't know a lot about the area, but I've walked around there a few times....at night. It was winter, but I didn't feel overly threatened. There's some nice places on Western between Van Buren & Jackson over there.

EDIT: i haven't been near the park although close. I have been just north of the freeway. I can't speak to a normal experience, but I know there's some nice places in the area.

Last edited by marothisu; 07-18-2012 at 05:46 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:12 AM

1,520 posts, read 2,573,940 times
If you've done your due dilligence, feel comfortable and are getting a deal, go for it. Everyone tried to steer me away from my neighborhood and I love it.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:04 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
How big is the discount? Places on main arteries / fronting expressways even in high end towns across the country ROUTINELY sell for a FRACTION of places even a block or two in. If you can get maybe 30% discount it might be worth considering, but even then I would worry you'd need to basically list at a similar discount when it comes to sell. It ain't like there is ever going to a beautiful path of wild flowers where the Eisenhower lies...

Old 07-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Thanks for your replies thus far. It is at a substantial discount, which is one of the contributing factors that is drawing me to this place. It is RIGHT on top of the expressway, you could look out the front window and be staring right at EB traffic on the Ike. I guess that is one of the things I also like about it, I can be on 290 in about 30 seconds once I get in my car.

As previously mentioned, I know little about this area. Would being on top of the expressway and on a one way be street be something of a deterrent to crime and such...just thinking out loud here. I have no clue, but looking around the area and on this specific block, I see pretty nice cars parked around if that means anything, which it very well may not. I appreciate all comments so far, if you have any others I would be very grateful.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:52 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,454,222 times
I think it's a wee little bit of a stretch to say this place is a block away from Pilsen, who's northern border is around 16th Street. You'll be more like 8 blocks away. 8 long blocks. I do like the idea of gentrification spilling over into EGP and see that happening eventually. However, bear in mind that this was touted as a sure thing before the housing bust and, of course, it never materialized, or ever even came close to materializing, IMHO. The core of EGP is still pretty scary, and while that far south part of it is probably safer, that's because there's really not much there, and I imagine the expressway does serve as a "buffer" of sorts from the more dicey parts north of the Ike.

You don't make it 100% clear whether you're renting or buying. If you're renting, you could give it a shot (hopefully not literally). Who knows what you may cause to take off around you? Someone's got to be first, right? Buying, I don't know. I can think of a lot of places that have more potential and are still inexpensive, including Pilsen proper.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:57 PM

400 posts, read 957,150 times
Doesnt sound like the biggest gamble in the world.
Near transportation and downtown are big pluses.

The Minus is the Big project area on western north of 290
by that Blue Line stop. Nice to have Blue Line Stop there,
BUT its by the projects, and thats where the infamous
Felony Franks WAS....

Police Dept is nearby though.

Definitely a weird area.....
Desolate can be good and bad.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:33 AM

That is what I was thinking Xavier, that perhaps the expressway would at least cut out a little of the crime/drug/gang element. I suppose I should clarify, I am looking at purchasing a property. It has always been my mindset that it is better to own something and chip away at your own mortgage rather than pay somebody else's. Leave it to me to try and look in the one part of town that I'm not even vaguely familiar with. From Austin to Damen the city is a big question mark to me, hence this post

I suppose what this all boils down to is safety. I'm not expecting to have big, friendly block parties or it to be Leave It To Beaver either. But I'm hoping its not the wild 100's as well. My main concern are the women in m life, my girlfriend goes to interior design school in the city and my sis will be attending UIC in the fall. To me there is a big difference between gentrifying an area and being a martyr. Who would want to be a martyr? Certainly not me, and I wouldn't want to subject my girlfriend and sister to that either. I have been thorough in my search, but if you all have any suggestions where to look for discounted condos in safer areas I would love to hear. Looking for 3 BR/2 BA for the $70-80 range, if pressed could go up to $90K. I know, I know, my restrictions and budget suck...

Old 07-20-2012, 06:52 PM

126 posts, read 429,350 times
I've lived in East Garfield Park all my life. I was born here. Not a good place to be in my opinion. I've been planning my escape since I was a child. Sad to say but it's only gotten worse since I've grown up. I've seen more murder victims than I care to talk about. I graduated college this May and moved home for a job just over a week ago. Only a few days back and I watched from my grandmother's back porch as three guys carried out an unconscious man from an abandoned building frequented by local addicts. They dumped him on a busted sofa in the alley and left him there. Thank goodness I saw, otherwise he probably would've died from a combination of the overdose and the heat. I'm planning to move out in September, after I save enough money for the usual moving costs. And my apartment will NOT be in East Garfield. Not trying to be a downer but this is just my personal experience. Most of my family was raised here, including both of my parents and one of my grandparents, and everybody has stories to tell about the terrible things they have seen or witnessed here over the years. Obviously I would like to see things get better and I am encouraged by the changes I see around me (new apartments and restaurants, updated schools, and more neighbors from different racial backgrounds), but after 29 years I think I've put in enough time waiting for the worst of it to get better. I've heard heard enough shots and seen enough crime scenes to last me a lifetime. The only advice I can offer is that if you do decide to buy here, be extra careful when you go out. Always be on alert. I've seen people pull guns on others. Nobody cares who's watching. Even after all these years I still get nervous when I walk out the door. I think it's that edge that has kept me and most of my family (minus two uncles) alive all these years.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:41 PM

801 posts, read 2,565,130 times
Check Chicago Police CLEAR maps on their website and see what you can find out. I had to use Firefox as it didn't load properly for me in Chrome. Go back 2 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months and see what the trend is. If you check out homes outside the city, try an online tool called Spot Crime and a one named Crime Reports.

Here's a link: Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Incidents

Some would advise you to try to contact a local beat officer and ask for the backstory, but I've never had a whole lot of luck getting in touch with someone who could help. In Chicago you might be able to contact the CAPS community policing section.

Definitely, though:
1. Park on the block at night, around 11pm or later, and sit and watch for a while. Drive through the alley and the neighboring blocks a few times. Do this on a weeknight and on a Friday or Saturday night.
2. Do a "test" night-time drive to the grocery, the McDonald's, the pharmacy, or wherever you think you and your family might occasionally need to travel as a late-night errand. See if you feel comfortable.
3. Consider (in daytime) knocking on the door of one or two of the neighbors and asking how the block is.
4. If there's a church nearby, the minister or priest might be able to fill you in. A school principal could be a good resource, too.

Basically, if the financial numbers make sense, and the area hasn't shown any red flags, you're just doing recon.

I think that the nice cars on the block, basically any kind of newer car even if its a little Kia, is a good sign and means that people are working and not engaged in too much trouble.

If everything checks out good, you're probably in a decent spot. Be proactive in keeping it nice and make the area better for the next family that comes along. Attend CAPS beat meetings and get involved as you are able to.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago