Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,306 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and appreciate in advance any advice anyone can offer! I'm a single woman, 31 years old, considering purchasing a single family home in Logan Square. To be exact, the home is on Monticello Avenue, between Palmer and Fullerton (i.e. just north of Armitage, and just west of Central Park). I realize that Logan Square is kind of hit or miss, and that homes vary block by block. The place I'm considering purchasing is on a very beautiful block that seems to be really diverse, and the homes are all in terrific condition, seem to be kept up well, have manicured lawns, etc. I was walking by the property today and struck up a conversation with a homeowner and he said he's lived in his house for 10 years, and so has most everyone else on the block (which is mostly single family homes).

I'm curious if anyone knows anything about this particular block, or about this area in general, for that matter. I've done a good bit of walking/driving around, but mostly during the day, and just for a few moments at a time, so I can't get a really good idea of what the area is like overall. Is there a lot of gang activity around here? If you're someone who lives in this area, do you feel safe? Is the area gentrifying (not necessarily a good thing, but just thought I'd ask)? Any other thoughts?

Thank you very much for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 03:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
It really depends on the price you are paying and your long term goals. There are still quite a few short sales on the market in Logan Square and that can depress prices -- 3716 W DICKENS Ave, CHICAGO, IL 60647 | MLS# 08047981 ...

Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM

955 posts, read 1,831,138 times
You're right, that stretch of Monticello is tidy. The immediate area is in my opinion, doable for adults with a little street moxy. I grew up there a long time ago and I have some friends who have never left. They are pretty comfortable.

There is definitely gang activity there, but it is diminishing in scope and volume these days. Much less than 10 or 15 years ago. Most of the rancor goes on west of Pulaski now. I also suggest that you consider going to a CAPS meeting. They are held once every two months now, I believe. That block is just inside the 25th police distict boundaries. The CPD website has info on when and where yours is held and maps out the various police beats within the district. You'll have a chance to meet some of your more involved neighbors and also get to meet a cop who knows your area well.

Also, gentrification is indeed creeping up on you, just about a half a mile east.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
What about the area around Fullerton and Central Park? Can anyone give me a current update of that area? I am assuming its Logan Square. Pls advise.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 PM

76 posts, read 279,853 times
My advise is to stay out of Logan Square period. Go further northwest toward Ravenswood, you'll find something comparable in price and it's safer.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:07 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBay View Post
My advise is to stay out of Logan Square period. Go further northwest toward Ravenswood, you'll find something comparable in price and it's safer.
A lot of Logan Square is fine now.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Garbage advice. You will not find comparable prices for SFH's; Ravenswood is much more expensive than Logan Square. Not to mention Ravenswood is by-and-large Northeast of Logan Square, not Northwest.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:14 PM

76 posts, read 279,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
A lot of Logan Square is fine now.
It's true that many of our bad areas have quieted down a bit since the 90's and are gentrifying but imo these areas haven't reached my "green light" standards as of yet. I'm just giving the advise I would want to receive if I was coming in to Chicago, no offense to any of you guys living in these areas : )

Old 08-08-2012, 11:24 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
It's true that many of our bad areas have quieted down a bit since the 90's and are gentrifying but imo these areas haven't reached my "green light" standards as of yet. I'm just giving the advise I would want to receive if I was coming in to Chicago, no offense to any of you guys living in these areas : )
Meh, depends on your overall comfort level. Just don't get in anyone's business and you'll be fine. Logan Square has had 22 homicides in 5.5 years. That's not terrible really. There are areas to stay away from, but if you were in areas near the train stops or you know, Fullerton and Milwaukee and stuff....not even close to dangerous.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I am only asking because my son lives near altgeld and kimball and he is considering a move a bit further west to central pk. He says the place is around Tonys. I guess he is looking at a couple of places but they are on or near central park. He loves Logan square. He would not think of going to ravenswood. I would totally move farther north if it were me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: