Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:59 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,555,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
+1

And as for the PR spin being offered by the local franchisee, while she may be good people, the fact is that a % of their profits from their store do go to the parent company, some of which apparently have been funneled to political lobbying groups.

I agree. I read a statement from her stating that she has LGBT employees, and contributes to LGBT organizations. I do believe that to be true, but I also believe that at least on some level, she was also aware that the corporation itself does contribute to anti-gay organizations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:18 PM

3,396 posts, read 7,208,408 times
A lot of the problems go way beyond simple donations to anti-gay groups and into concerns about the corporate culture and discrimination. The owner has said:

Quote:
"If a man can't manage his own life, he can't manage a business," says Cathy, who says he would probably fire an employee or terminate an operator who "has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members."
Firing someone for legal behavior that the owner believes is "sinful" raises all sorts of red flags in terms of discrimination (i.e. he obviously thinks homosexuality is sinful, so would he fire and employee for that "sin"?). They've settled loads of suits out of court and are currently facing a gender discrimination suit. Since they tend to settle these types of thing outside of the courts it's hard to get specifics on what they're doing.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post
A lot of the problems go way beyond simple donations to anti-gay groups and into concerns about the corporate culture and discrimination. The owner has said:

Firing someone for legal behavior that the owner believes is "sinful" raises all sorts of red flags in terms of discrimination (i.e. he obviously thinks homosexuality is sinful, so would he fire and employee for that "sin"?). They've settled loads of suits out of court and are currently facing a gender discrimination suit. Since they tend to settle these types of thing outside of the courts it's hard to get specifics on what they're doing.
Sounds like a swell guy.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attrill View Post

Agreed. I thought the same issue made fighting Wal-Mart legitimate.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:52 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Cathy and his company should really just stay in the south where this sort of regressive thought process is old hat. They're going to run up against progressives who think this is dispicable everywhere else in the country.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:08 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,875,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Cathy and his company should really just stay in the south where this sort of regressive thought process is old hat. They're going to run up against progressives who think this is dispicable everywhere else in the country.
I think it's even worse than that, what kind of dumbass honestly thought he'd get no flack for putting a new drive-thru on ELSTON, which is one every map the City puts out as a designated bike street?

That alone was a death sentence for the proposal.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
That's funny, I could have sworn I saw a poll recently saying HALF of Americans agree with Cathy's opinion.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Have you looked at a map that lays out where they are?

Old 07-27-2012, 03:32 PM

130 posts, read 170,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
That's funny, I could have sworn I saw a poll recently saying HALF of Americans agree with Cathy's opinion.
The funny thing is that up until about a month ago or so, Obama and Biden were still against same-sex marriage. Who would have thought that Obama's values for the large majority of his presidency were against Chicago values.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM

But he had no problem with civil unions and didn't believe homosexuality was a sin. See the difference? One is a political position, one is a human rights issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago