U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:21 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,560,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
You're right, not too mention Ohare is big central transportation hub in this country. Its very big airport and it has many airlines. And if you go to Midway, you only need there to be 1h before flight, if you don't have anything to check in

However, don't forget many people live in suburbs and own car, even in the city. And its cheaper just to drive than take flight. It depends. If u can get $70 plane ticket one way to Minneapolis, u probably wanna fly, otherwise its just cheaper to drive and you'll be there in 7 hours.

Last time I drove from Chicago to Pittsburgh, for cubs vs pirates game and it took me only 8.5 hours. The round trip cost me around $120 in gas (+ $40 in tollways). Im sure I would have to pay more for plane, especially since I decided to go there in last week, plus pay taxi or rental.
Well that's true. I don't know, for me driving is such a hassle. You have to worry about negligent drivers, wear and tear on your car, gas prices, etc. For example, even though S. CA is touted as being "within driving distance to Vegas" half the people I know in CA just fly there because it's cheaper and faster and the drive is pretty horrendous. I drove there last year from San Diego, and it took me nearly 8 hours to get back to SD with traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 03:24 PM

12,062 posts, read 17,833,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Are you suggesting that millions of people don't fly out of both NYC and Chicago every year?
I suggested nothing. I asked a follow up question to a post.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:30 PM

389 posts, read 354,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Well that's true. I don't know, for me driving is such a hassle. You have to worry about negligent drivers, wear and tear on your car, gas prices, etc. For example, even though S. CA is touted as being "within driving distance to Vegas" half the people I know in CA just fly there because it's cheaper and faster and the drive is pretty horrendous. I drove there last year from San Diego, and it took me nearly 8 hours to get back to SD with traffic.
well it depends I guess what Interstate highways you take. If you take I-80 its not so bad, there are many service plazas in Indiana and Ohio where you can stop by, refuel, eat, snack, take nap making whole drive easier. Ohio has nice new service plazas and some locations have Panera Bread which is step up from Mcdonalds, hardee's and other junk food. If you have a new car from reputable maker like Toyota you can drive many miles for years. As long as you service your car every 5000 miles and change oil every 10,000.

Im sure if I would have to take i-90 to Minneapolis, my drive wouldn't probably be as much comfortable through northwest Wisconsin as through I-80/I-90 east from Chicago.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,122,775 times
Quote:
I don't really get why people are so hung up on how isolated Chicago is. It's called an airplane. You can be in NYC from Chicago in what, an hour and a half? Florida in 2 hours. Southern CA in 4 hours.
No one is "hung up" on this. I floated this as a legitimate reason why Chi is less expensive than some NE cities. I'm only saying that living nearby to destination areas can drive up real estate prices. There are REASONS why Boston and NY and DC are expensive, and Chi is less expensive. Demand for Chi is lower. And why is Demand for Chi lower? Because it's less desirable. It's not a reason to be defensive, it's just a fact. That doesn't mean that Chi isn't a great city - it is! But there are advantages to living in the NE, or living in SF (close to mountains, ocean, wine country, etc) for example, that drive up demand.

Quote:
Do you think that the millions of people who live in NYC or Boston or DC without a car really care that Vermont is a few hour drive away if they want to go skiing? No. They could hop on a plane and fly to Aspen and it probably wouldn't be that much more expensive than renting a car and driving to Vermont and back.
It's pointless to argue this with you, but when I lived in Boston, I knew people that skied every weekend, or every other weekend, during the ski season. That lifestyle is just not possible if you live in Chicago, unless you're willing to ski at the small bumps in WI.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM

1,973 posts, read 1,560,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No one is "hung up" on this. I floated this as a legitimate reason why Chi is less expensive than some NE cities. I'm only saying that living nearby to destination areas can drive up real estate prices. There are REASONS why Boston and NY and DC are expensive, and Chi is less expensive. Demand for Chi is lower. And why is Demand for Chi lower? Because it's less desirable. It's not a reason to be defensive, it's just a fact. That doesn't mean that Chi isn't a great city - it is! But there are advantages to living in the NE, or living in SF (close to mountains, ocean, wine country, etc) for example, that drive up demand.
Not being defensive at all. NYC, Boston and DC are of course more expensive than Chicago, but I think having "nearby destination areas" is really an overstated factor with respect to all the other reasons East Coast cities tend to be more expensive. Not saying it isn't a factor, but I think it's a very minor factor. I don't think the reason most people move to NYC or Boston is because it's close to Vermont for skiing. If nearby destination areas was so determinative in price, then why isn't Philadelphia super expensive? Even Pittsburgh is fairly close to most E. Coast cities and Pittsburgh is certainly not expensive. Same could be said of Phoenix and Vegas with respect to nearby destinations.

Quote:
It's pointless to argue this with you, but when I lived in Boston, I knew people that skied every weekend, or every other weekend, during the ski season. That lifestyle is just not possible if you live in Chicago, unless you're willing to ski at the small bumps in WI.
Well that's great, but a lot of people couldn't care less about skiing. Again, it's an overstated factor.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:37 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,923,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
In addition, the driving experience in NE Ohio and Pennsylvania was quite a nice refreshing change from Midwest.

Last time I drove from Chicago to Pittsburgh, for cubs vs pirates game and it took me only 8.5 hours with a few stops. The round trip cost me around $120 in gas (+ $40 in tollways). Im sure I would have to pay more for plane, especially since I decided to go there in last week, plus pay taxi or rental. Plus driving through NE Ohio and Pennsylvania was a quite nice refresh from Midwest.
And here all the years I lived in NE Ohio I thought I was in the Midwest.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 PM

991 posts, read 1,747,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In terms of sprawl, Canadian cities have no real difference from American ones, although many seem to think otherwise. Toronto's suburbs are very sparsely populated, more sparse than Los Angeles.
Not true, most large Canadian metros are certainly more compact and less sprawled than most large American metros, and Toronto's suburbs in particular are among the densest in North America, Toronto's urbanized area is the densest in The U.S. and Canada, followed by Los Angeles funnily enough.

Last edited by Atticman; 07-27-2012 at 07:18 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 984,604 times
Canadian exchange rate, that's why!

Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 PM

389 posts, read 354,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
And here all the years I lived in NE Ohio I thought I was in the Midwest.
its definitely different from NW Ohio or other parts of this state that look more like Indiana or Illinois south of I-80. I would say Ohio is divided between Midwest and Northeast (and South around Cincinnati). Its not far from Erie, PA and Western New York and those areas I certainly would not call midwestern. NE Ohio east from Cleveland looks more like Pennsylvania than Ohio to me. They share the same geography with forested rolling hills and rivers.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:44 AM

8,869 posts, read 12,516,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleRain_1 View Post
The political corruption has always driven up the property and sales taxes. Now that the gangs are in full swing corporations are leaving downtown and residents are fleeing due to the outrageous sales and property taxes, I seriously believe that downtown Chicago will look like it did in the 70's for at least a decade.
Really??... Downtown Chicago is the main force driving the city right now. Haven't like 6 corporations moved to the loop just within the past few months, bringing in around 6,500 jobs? Motorola just did so yesterday. Property taxes in the city are around 1% for most people who own that I know - and businesses get silly tax breaks all the time.

At least do a general search before posting.

Motorola Mobility to leave suburban Libertyville campus for Chicago's Merchandise Mart. What will happen to their suburban corporate campus? | WBEZ 91.5 Chicago

Mayor Emanuel announces Zurich Insurance adding 150 jobs in downtown Chicago - Chicago CIty Hall | Examiner.com

McGladrey moves HQ to Chicago, plans to add 300-500 jobs - Chicago Sun-Times

Burns & Wilcox moves office downtown - Chicago Tribune

GE Transportation to move headquarters to Chicago - Chicago Tribune

Federal Savings Bank opening office, hiring in West Loop - Chicago Sun-Times

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...n-state-street

InnerWorkings adds space to accommodate 200 hires - chicagotribune.com

DeVry to bring 600 jobs to new West Loop offices - Chicago Sun-Times

Sara Lee To Move Headquarters Back Into City CBS Chicago

Sterling Partners moving downtown from Northbrook - Chicago Tribune

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces Sagence Group Will Move Corporate Headquarters to Chicago

City of Chicago :: Mayor Emanuel Announces ThyssenKrupp Will Open North American Headquarters in Chicago

Not trying to bandwagon....but honestly the city is really on the upswing as far as decent paying jobs/economy lately. It's being FAR overshadowed by the sharp upswing in gang violence on the south and west sides during the first half of the year, but the overall health of the city in general is actually much better under the skin than all the media articles which focus on the worst of the worst aspects.

Chicago Sees Jobs Rebound: Study | NBC Chicago

Census Shows Chicago Population Growth | NBC Chicago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago