Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,165 times

Advertisements

Let's say the city wanted or a private developer wants to build in an area like Lincoln Park.. Like those towers going up at Childrens Memorial hospital.. Do they have to have meetings with the community? Or if the city wanted to build public housing in LP....the people can't say who or what can build there it's the cities say not theirs right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
I wonder about this too when I see new construction sites in the city. Here in NYC I know developers that need no zoning changes for a plot of land can build (commercial or residential) "as of right." That means that as long as they stick to all the normal, published zoning and building regulations they have no obligation to talk to anyone about what they're doing, though they may choose to do so. Donald Trump put up a huge new residential skyscraper close to the UN some years back and the neighbors were furious. But he built it as of right and there was nothing anyone could do about it. But anything with zoning change involves a public process and so allows for community input somewhere along the line.

But in Chicago I understand that the aldermen also have tremendous discretion in allowing construction, correct? So how DOES that work? Does the alderman hold any public hearings? Do zoning changes require approval that allows public input? I'd be curious to know along with the OP.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:30 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,877,927 times
If they want a change in existing zoning, the alderman will likely require it.

Which is how it should be, IMO. A property's value can skyrocket or plummet depending on the zoning change, as land supply in is fixed. How densely/tall one can build on a given lot determines how much profit can be made.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:38 AM

968 posts, read 2,665,447 times
It's not a 'hearing' per se .. BUT .. the whole aldermanic privilege you're hearing about with respect to zoning weighs large in the City of Chicago .. The alderman will typically hold public meetings if there's a project they're hearing noise about .. the legally prescribed hearings are with the Zoning Board, and the City Planning folks .. a private project will NOT get through Zoning without the alderman's blessing, unless it's something really cloutfully huge, or there's eminent domain/ government development (then, they're usually on board long before any procedural stuff) .. They'll take the temperature of the community , and the good ones will try and work with the developer to get concerns addressed ( mostly) ..

Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
Not sure about legally, but I know there is often a TON of back and forth about site-lines, traffic, etc., so I would guess it is the norm.

You have to get a license for everything in this city, and it is generally an awful experience, from what I've heard.

Old 07-27-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
You have to get a license for everything in this city, and it is generally an awful experience, from what I've heard.
It's definitely not like getting a license. There are rules established for every license on the books.

There are no guarantees with making a zoning change request - you can ask, and the City can deny it.

Think about it - zoning classifications exist for a reason, they are related to neighboring properties, infrastructure demands, traffic; a whole host of complex issues.

I'd equate it more to wanting to change the direction of a one-way street. Just because I live on a street doesn't mean there's a process by which I can jump through a bunch of hoops and then change my street from a northbound-only to a southbound-only.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:40 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,277,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
It's definitely not like getting a license. There are rules established for every license on the books.

There are no guarantees with making a zoning change request - you can ask, and the City can deny it.

Think about it - zoning classifications exist for a reason, they are related to neighboring properties, infrastructure demands, traffic; a whole host of complex issues.

I'd equate it more to wanting to change the direction of a one-way street. Just because I live on a street doesn't mean there's a process by which I can jump through a bunch of hoops and then change my street from a northbound-only to a southbound-only.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was just vaguely referring to my friends/people who I've known who have had to/attempted to get permits for building things like decks, outdoor patios and obtaining liquor licenses.

It sounds like you have a lot more faith in your alderman than most of them do. Most businessmen have described getting necessary permits to do nearly anything as a highly corrupt and ridiculously beaurocartic process that leaves a terrible taste in their mouth.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynonos View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I was just vaguely referring to my friends/people who I've known who have had to/attempted to get permits for building things like decks, outdoor patios and obtaining liquor licenses.

It sounds like you have a lot more faith in your alderman than most of them do. Most businessmen have described getting necessary permits to do nearly anything as a highly corrupt and ridiculously beaurocartic process that leaves a terrible taste in their mouth.
A permit and a zoning classification are 2 wholly separate animals. A liquor license is yet a third.

There is no process by which one is ever guaranteed a zoning change. There are permit processes that do guarantee you the right to build a deck. An alderman cannot deny you the right to build a deck if you get a permit. An alderman can choose to not support a request to change a property from residential to commercial, from industrial to residential, etc, or as in this case, to create 2 lots out of 1 with the newly created lot having different zoning.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Let's say the city wanted or a private developer wants to build in an area like Lincoln Park.. Like those towers going up at Childrens Memorial hospital.. Do they have to have meetings with the community? Or if the city wanted to build public housing in LP....the people can't say who or what can build there it's the cities say not theirs right?
I don't think it's required if they're not doing zoning changes, but it's the "norm". For instance with the Childrens Memorial they'll certainly have a series of public meetings for input. In my ward there are meetings for damn near every project larger than a general residential building.

Larger projects in neighborhoods are almost always changed/adjusted based on public meetings and concerns. Developers go in big, residents rally around changes and they usually meet in the middle.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:00 PM

258 posts, read 760,343 times
There is no requirement for any meeting of any kind. If a zoning change is required, the alderman does have to introduce the ordinance, so he will usually meet with the developer. And in progressive wards, aldermen often hold community meetings on projects they think might be controversial. But many, many projects are as-of-right under the existing zoning, so the developer can go straight to the building department for a foundation permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago