Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 06:25 PM

21 posts, read 91,320 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at an apt in the Edgewater neighborhood. I only visited once to check out the apt and I thought th street was nice. Though I've been reading about the "Kenmore Winthrop Corridor" and that it's not a great area and this place is on Kenmore near the Argyle Redline.

Anyone know what this area is like? I also know that some people's definition of "sketchy" differ. For some, sketchy is a euphemism for "poor" or maybe run-down, but I don't mind a diverse socio-economic environment, my biggest concern is my safety so: gangs, robberies, rapes, etc.

Thanks in advanced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 07:26 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,278,687 times
It's OK. You are not particularly likely to be a victim of a violent crime. The area is defined by a bizarre mix of gentrification and hipsterish trappings coupled with an abundance of free social service clinics like drug rehab facilities, halfway houses and the like, and, yes, some good old fashioned gang bangin', though nothing remotely close to what you would find in the worst parts of the city.

To be honest a lot of people I know who chose to live there for any length of time end up disillusioned and just wanting to leave. Not for fear of safety necessarily but rather just exhaustion at dealing with the things mentioned above. I know someone who owns what I would guess is a $500K condo on one of the gentrified streets and is dying to get out.

I've never lived up there but my take is that it is really moving, at least in some ways, into a real, urban, neighborhood. It's not all dolled up like most the transplant neighborhoods. Of course if you keep to yourself and just walk around from your door to your driveway, everything is "ok."

Some people are attracted to grit. If you are, go for it. I personally like the area a lot; not sure I'd want to live there. If you are going to freak out because someone smashed your car window and stole your radio, or that you have to walk by a group of kids who are going to wolf whistle you as you board the train, maybe look somewhere else.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:36 PM

2,418 posts, read 6,255,289 times
Well, if it's south of foster, you're technically in Uptown. The sidestreets around there are pretty hit and miss, but you're still not likely to be a victim of crime unless you go looking for it at odd hours.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:36 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
I lived on Winona. Two apartments. One almost at Sheridan Rd. and the other at the corner of Marine Drive. That section is called "Margate Park" and it's considered a good neighborhood. Once you get west of Sheridan Rd., between Sheridan and Broadway, in that stretch between, say, Lawrence and Foster Ave., it becomes more sketchy. I mostly used the Argyle CTA "El" station and walked, daily, on Argyle from the station to Marine Drive or Sheridan Rd. Though there were frequently some odd-natured people hanging about they weren't dangerous types. They tend to be people with developmental disabilities and handicaps who've, largely, been discarded by the social services systems. There are several SRO buildings in the areas where the people live. Some people ask for cigarettes, small change, etc. They never bothered me. I never felt unsafe at any hour walking Argyle, Sheridan or Marine Dr. It's a mixed-bag neighborhood, as commented on earlier. Older. Younger, Urban Hipster. Gay and Lesbian (one of the most highly regarded gay bars/restaurants is there - Big Chicks/Tweet). Mentally ill. Etc., Etc. Personally, I probably wouldn't rent an apartment or live in the Lawrence/Foster, Sheridan/Broadway corridor. On the west, north and east sides of the corridor ... I would.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:31 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
There's good food around Argyle and Broadway.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,678,634 times
Yeah, isn't that the heart of little Vietnam?

I've never felt in danger there, even walking around at 4-5 am. More just hassled for change or a cigarette.

Parking is tough though.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:02 AM

183 posts, read 338,936 times
I'm betting the ad for this apt said it is "in Edgewater". Its definitely not Edgewater. That's Uptown. It's grittier in that area than I would prefer. Probably wouldn't have cared in my 20s. You won't necessarily witness what pps are talking about in one walk by. Like previous posters have said, you won't be in mortal danger, but the grittiness can wear one down after a while. Hard to say if its for you, depends on personality and your past urban experience.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
I think that area is fine. Just don't leave your windows open, or lock a bike out front for extended periods with a crappy cable lock, etc. I would try and avoid living near the subsidized housing in the area, but it may not make a difference anyway. It's a nice area overall.

There are a few halfway houses and bum hotels in the area, but not nearly as many as you'd find further south in the real heart of Uptown. Some people here seem to be responding to the question "is uptown OK", which is not quite relevant to the area you're speaking of. It's in the community area of Uptown, but there are many distinct areas within it, the most famous of which is the Wilson-Sheridan garbage pit. Argyle Street is not the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago