Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM

62 posts, read 133,313 times

Advertisements

Many writers and speculators have been saying that that announcement of the big Motorola move to the Loop a few weeks ago is the start of Chicago's transformation into a major Midwest tech hub. Do you believe (or hope) this is true? Do you think the Midwest/Chicago brain drain will slow down?

I'm finishing up an engineering degree soon and I really hope so. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and just can't see myself moving to California for work, nor do I want to work way out in Schaumburg or something. It would be great for Chicagoans coming out of Big Ten schools to have the opportunity to come back home for work.

What is your opinion on this matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscillatory View Post
Many writers and speculators have been saying that that announcement of the big Motorola move to the Loop a few weeks ago is the start of Chicago's transformation into a major Midwest tech hub. Do you believe (or hope) this is true? Do you think the Midwest/Chicago brain drain will slow down?

I'm finishing up an engineering degree soon and I really hope so. I've lived in Chicago my whole life and just can't see myself moving to California for work, nor do I want to work way out in Schaumburg or something. It would be great for Chicagoans coming out of Big Ten schools to have the opportunity to come back home for work.

What is your opinion on this matter?
There's already a lot tech companies per se here. There are consulting, interactive agencies, and some software companies here and in the burbs. I wouldn't say it's "Motorola" moving here either, but it's Google/Motorola Mobility. The pure fact that it's Google now goes a long way with young, innovative workers. More so than if it weren't run by Google now, and "just" Motorola. Google is attractive and some talent in the midwest does not want to move away from the midwest. My entire background is Computer Science and I went to school with people who were absolutely genius, but only wanted to stay in the midwest for their after college jobs.

The Merchandise Mart also had a good number of startups leasing out small amounts of office space. The whole 1871 Startup "factory." I think that things are looking up even more now that Google will be moving in. Mobile is a huge push for Google and it may form new partnerships for anything good related to mobile via local companies, and might even inspire others to make their own startups.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
I've lived in Chicago for most of the past 17 years, and worked in technology that entire time. Well over half of that time I've worked for internet companies or doing internet-related work for other companies. Two of the companies have been startups, and one actually had stock options that paid out pretty well helping me buy a home.

So if you ask me, Chicago is already a lot more of a tech town than people give it credit for. I not only had made a successful tech career here (and I have a degree in Sociology - imagine what I could have done with a real tech degree), but I'd managed to do so even with severe limits on the geographic scope of where I'm willing to work (basically, the greater Loop area). Tech work is here if you look. I'm not going to say it's Silicon Valley by any stretch of the imagination, but it's been here and will continue to be here. I think the culture of the tech work here will change and become more entrepreneurial over the next 10-15 years or so, but that's already happening, and in the mean time there are places to start a career here in Chicago.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:30 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,490,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
So if you ask me, Chicago is already a lot more of a tech town than people give it credit for.
Exactly.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:00 PM

148 posts, read 238,661 times
Default yes it is a tech town.

my older brother was an IT consultant for some time after college in the late 90s early 2000s. the dot com bubble broke forcing my bro to try a new career in the medical field. but strangely enough after working in the hospital since 07, he transferred to their IT dept cuz the needed a network db admin... lol

as for chicago gaining more tech jobs or creating more, id say this is strong porobability basd upon seeing what happenned to other cities when a big tech firm moved in and brought more tech jobs and created more tech development. when microsoft and bill gates came to seattle, the resulting tech job market created there changed seattle for the better, and attracted more startups and other tech buisnesses. seeing that housing costs and general cost of living here is favorable, its easy to see tech sector rising in the near future.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,781,244 times
I hope it does not happen. Manhattan has gotten really watered down (even for Manhattan) and the SF bay area is filled to the brim with lame geeks. I really just can't deal with those types of people.

I'm not interested in being in an area where dorks outbid each other for 2000$ a month rat hole studio rentals.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:21 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
I hope it does not happen. Manhattan has gotten really watered down (even for Manhattan) and the SF bay area is filled to the brim with lame geeks. I really just can't deal with those types of people.

I'm not interested in being in an area where dorks outbid each other for 2000$ a month rat hole studio rentals.
Yes, it's much better to live in places where people feel free to publicly express their douchebaggery.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM

203 posts, read 386,006 times
@LakeShoreSoxGo: Thing is, even if Chicago had more of a tech presence, it would still be a well-rounded town.

My last IT contract was in NYC. I'm out of here when my lease ends in two weeks. The city at least has a variety of professions. Even the areas where people in the tech startup scene tend to live have many people in other industries. But it doesn't change the fact that you pay way too much for housing which is often of poor quality. Now, you can get a studio for $1600 or so in desirable parts of Manhattan, but even that's way too much. And NYC as a whole, not just Manhattan, really is watered down from what it used to be from a cultural standpoint.

But I also need balance in my life and to have interests outside of technology. That's more difficult in an area like the Bay Area where most of the people you meet are in technology.

I'm probably not the only IT professional for whom a location other than NYC or the Bay Area is a selling point.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post

You do realize that tech companies employ more then just 'nerds', right? Sales, marketing, legal, yada yada.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:47 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Man, I sure wish I could ride around on a skateboard all day judging people for totally legitimate career choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago