Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:43 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Agreed. The 2 bathroom thing might be less common at that price in certain areas, but yeah. I saw one place a little bit ago near Damen and Argyle-ish area.. It was a 2 bed, 1 bath with almost new appliances, new ceiling fans, central air, new shower head, great walls, and great hard wood floors for only $1400/month. Right near a bus stop and a few blocks away from the brown line.
Good point, 2 baths might be hard in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:44 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Good point, 2 baths might be hard in general. Wait, Damen and Argyle is in dreaded Uptown....
Nah, that's considered Ravenswood...Ravenswood goes as far north as Foster It was a nice area, right near Winnemac Park and the high school over there. Peaceful, although I'd say there wasn't an amazing number of things around, but you don't have to go far to get them. Damen-Brown was a few blocks away, but only a few stops on the bus.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:55 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Nah, that's considered Ravenswood...Ravenswood goes as far north as Foster It was a nice area, right near Winnemac Park and the high school over there. Peaceful, although I'd say there wasn't an amazing number of things around, but you don't have to go far to get them. Damen-Brown was a few blocks away, but only a few stops on the bus.
I was joking

Old 08-08-2012, 03:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
I definitely second Lincoln Square, but I also agree it's going to be hard to find a place with 2 baths -- it's just not something older Chicago buildings often have, so newer units with 2 really go for a premium in this tight rental market.

Also, how old is your kid?

Old 08-08-2012, 03:57 PM

8 posts, read 8,289 times
We've found a few 2 bed/2 bath but I'm not sure about the neighborhoods (Jefferson Park, Oak Park, Forest Park, Albany Park near Mayfair) If we're going to be in an apt, our goal is to find a place with some kind of balcony so that we have a little outside space. I know that dwindles down our possibilities a lot. Again, we've found places that fit with what we want but the most important thing on our list is safety within our neighborhood and walk to Metra or El. My son 2 years old so we're not too concerned with the school system just yet.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:11 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,480,572 times
I actually think it'll be far easier to find somewhere with outdoor space than with a second bath. And FWIW, all the areas you mentioned, with the possible exception of Albany Park, are safe options to consider. I say possible with Albany because I know less about it but do know it's definitely somewhat sketchier. As to the exact location I'd imagine others can offer better help.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:40 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
I found at least 8 Puerto Rican restaurants in the Logan Square/Bucktown area.

Yes I like Oak Park. I always have because I like mature trees. The Village of Oak Park is moslt integrated rather than segregated. There are many churches of many faiths. There is also 19 parks and an award winning library that loves kids and has programs for all ages. You will find a walkable downtown and Chicago style services and resources such as Trader Joe's in Oak Park and a Whole Foods in nearby River Forest. The schools are generally pretty decent until high schools. They all have the same problem: tweens and teens. You'll find 2 CTA, bus., bicycle, taxi, limo and Zipcar. Stop in at the Oak Park Regional Housing Center and talk to them. It is a free non-profit service. I can't read the maps to give better advice except you want too stay as far away from Austin Blvd. as possible

Old 08-09-2012, 01:01 AM

76 posts, read 278,256 times
I'd def say go the NW Suburban route, imo it's the best place to be - good schools, access to the northside, just looks/feels nicer than the western/southern suburbs, or rent for a year on the Near North Side, which is one of the best parts of the city close to the Loop and feel out the city. Downtown late at night can be creepy. If he is taking the train I'd say kiss n' ride from the blue line at Rosemont, the parking lot is much brighter, and that train line, especially that last end of it, is far away from troubled neighborhoods. Or if he is taking the Metra all the way out that'll be fine too.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:02 AM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBay View Post
Downtown late at night can be creepy. too.
I really get the sense from your posts that your comfort zone is really low. Downtown creepy at night? I don't know....what? A few homeless guys who aren't going to harm you?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:03 AM

76 posts, read 278,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOfOne5 View Post
We've found a few 2 bed/2 bath but I'm not sure about the neighborhoods (Jefferson Park, Oak Park, Forest Park, Albany Park near Mayfair) If we're going to be in an apt, our goal is to find a place with some kind of balcony so that we have a little outside space. I know that dwindles down our possibilities a lot. Again, we've found places that fit with what we want but the most important thing on our list is safety within our neighborhood and walk to Metra or El. My son 2 years old so we're not too concerned with the school system just yet.
Skip Albany Park, Skip Jefferson Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago