U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Chicago: pretty walkable neighborhood, studio budget, near lake zone, thoroughfare, thuglets

Old 10-04-2007, 10:53 AM

94 posts, read 226,800 times

Advertisements

I have been with this forum now for the past three to four months since I've decided to move to Chicago. It has been EXTREAMLY helpful and I thank you guys for that.

I am a 25 year old single male looking into the lakeview/lincoln park area on a budget of about $750/month for a studio. Looking for a place that is in a pretty walkable neighborhood. I've found some places and thought I'd ask for your opinions on the areas the addys are in. Here we go.

5240 N. Sheridan Road 60640
661 W. Sheridan Rd. 60613
434 W. Wellington Ave. 60657
530 W. Arlington (Sorry dont know Zipcode)
4157 N. Clarendon
4024 N. Ashland
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 11:06 AM

6,448 posts, read 8,975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preditor74 View Post

5240 N. Sheridan Road 60640
Sheridan and Foster is iffy at best. It's not BAD, per se, but it's Uptown, and that makes it VERY spotty. See "Uptown" in previous posts. My girlfriend lived near there for a while, and she had no problems, but it wouldn't be my first choice if you aren't used to the city.

Quote:
661 W. Sheridan Rd. 60613
That area is fine. It's near Wrigley, but far enough away they you don't have drunks on your doorstep. Not my first choice, because, to me, living that close to the lake doesn't feel like neighborhood living, which I prefer. It's more anonymous and high-risey.

Quote:
434 W. Wellington Ave. 60657
See comments about 661 Sheridan. It's nicer down on Wellington, imho. Still in that near-lake cutoff zone, though.

Quote:
530 W. Arlington (Sorry dont know Zipcode)
This one's right in Lincoln Park, near Clark. I'd prefer this over the three above. If you're going to live in Lincoln Park, you might as well be right there in the thick of it.

Quote:
4157 N. Clarendon
This is the Buena Park area. Basically, in Lakeview, the farther North you get the weirder things get. This is an area that ain't all that great, but also isn't terrible. I'd go for one of the above areas first, though.

Quote:
4024 N. Ashland
[/quote]
Not bad. Ashland's a really busy street, as it's a thoroughfare. Not as homey as some of the other spots.

I guess my comments are sort of meandering. My advice is to visit the city and check these hoods out first hand.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:20 PM

94 posts, read 226,800 times
Hey one more address...

922 W George

I was looking at this apartment there as well...its nice because its RIGHT BY the brown line which is good and seems to still be in Lakeview. Any thoughts?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 PM

36,643 posts, read 58,009,032 times
922 W. George is fine. Pretty much any address in Lakeview or Lincoln Park is fine.

As for the Ashland address, that's right across the street from a rather large high school which, for some reason, seems to be a popular nighttime hangout for little thuglets and the occasional drug dealer. Chances are you'll never know the difference, but at any rate you might want to at least stay on the other side of the street from the school when walking around at night.

Something else to consider as that the Irving Park Brown Line station right around the corner from that address will be closing in a couple months and it will remain closed for a year. That can mess up your commute plans a little.

Speaking of which, many of the places you're looking at are incredibly insane as far as parking goes, so either don't bring a car/don't plan on getting one, or plan to spend as much as $250/mo for off-street parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago