Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 PM

76 posts, read 278,202 times

Advertisements

Germantown in Lincoln Square and you can just jump on the blue line to Rosemont!

P.S. Walking around in Chicago is much more disturbing than walking around in Germany lol So beware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 09:31 PM

578 posts, read 1,088,331 times
There is a nice area close to where the German school is and a few block walk to the red lines here you could certainly transfer to blue. Lakewood balmoral. Nice single family homes with lots of grass. It's in the middle of Andersonville so very close to shops and great restaurants. Or if you drive a straight shot to Peterson. Not a bad commute to rosemont I just moved here snd there are many families and a ton of community involvement

Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,943,296 times
Some of the folks really need to look at a Blue Line map -- http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...tatrainmap.png

Old 08-19-2012, 11:02 PM

578 posts, read 1,088,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Some of the folks really need to look at a Blue Line map -- http://www.transitchicago.com/assets...tatrainmap.png
I dont believe there was any mention of not driving to work. And the German school is in the city on the north side

Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM

413 posts, read 828,965 times
Quote:
Ravenswood is a fair bet for folks looking for something a little quieter than the typical college yahoo scene IF they are working in the Loop, but since any place served by the Brown line would require riding buses or transferring to the Blue line closer to the Loop that is a not ideal for anyone working in Rosemont which lies between O'Hare and the rest of Chicago's extreme NW corner...
You seem to be ignoring the fact that OP has stated that his kid will be attending a German school at 1700 Montrose. That will be just as problematic from Park Ridge as Rosemont is from the north side. In fact if we are talking about a young child who has to be both dropped off and picked up then it will be worse because the person dropping off child will be making 2 round trips per day.

If they are definitely using that school then I would think the most sensible thing to do is live near the school and deal with the commute to work.

OP also needs to state where in Rosemont the office is. If its near the Blue line that will make a big difference.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM

Default I beleive the OP's child is one year old...

...and in my experince no school serves children that age. Best case it will be several years before the school is needed.

Further it is my experience that many parents who wish to get their children involved in language / cultural classes take advantage of weekend /evening offerings. It would be silly to factor a potential one or two day a week activity as strongly as daily work commute.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:56 AM

413 posts, read 828,965 times
Quote:
...and in my experince no school serves children that age. Best case it will be several years before the school is needed.

Further it is my experience that many parents who wish to get their children involved in language / cultural classes take advantage of weekend /evening offerings. It would be silly to factor a potential one or two day a week activity as strongly as daily work commute.
Sorry. I thought we were talking about a daily school commute here.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Default The threads do spiral...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindukid View Post
Sorry. I thought we were talking about a daily school commute here.
No need to apologize, I've done similar things. I really do believe that many folks facing relo are totally overwhelmed. The firms that do most of the "hand holding" for relocated corporate families tend to dole out info very sparingly and that leaves the transferee kind of unprepared to even ask the right questions.

In my mind the OP has several choices. To my way of thinking, having a child that is not yet school age and no mention of other than a single income / stay at home spouse that sounds like a pretty "traditional" situation. Having a home nice and close to work (Park Ridge ought to be 10 minute or less drive and has good options for using public transit too) would be hard to beat. While it is possible to draw a pretty wide radius around Rosemont and make justifications for other parts of the city / different suburbs the fact is that Park Ridge does have a very pleasant walkable core with coffee shops, casual and fine dining, shops, movie theatre and basically everything that a young family would need day-to-day. It is easy enough to take tranist from Park Ridge into more "tourist oriented" parts of Chicago on weekends or days off and the only thing that is really lacking is near by "music scene" but given that the OP stated they have no need to be "right in the action" and the area that they currently live in somewhat similar to Lincoln Park I take that to mean rather upscale not particularly "grungy"...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago