Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 04:05 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,823,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I think a second team would be a huge hit here. Chicagoans love football.
would be great to see a second football team here. meanwhile, i'm sure Chicago will show its love for football by packing Soldier Field to the brim for this year's Illinois-Northwestern game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:21 PM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
would be great to see a second football team here. meanwhile, i'm sure Chicago will show its love for football by packing Soldier Field to the brim for this year's Illinois-Northwestern game.
Northwestern has a small fanbase and Illinois perennially sucks.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:20 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,584,397 times
I would rather see a 2nd Chicago team than a London England team that the NFL wants ( not a good idea cause the logistics would be awful and plus the NFL needs to stay in the CONUS 48 and also there are many cities currently with no NFL team but have the fan base that could support one ).
However unless the NFL expands I do not see that happening. LA takes first priority if one of the current 32 teams relocate.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,907,485 times
If I'm in Chicago again this fall, maybe I'll take in a game at Northwestern. My guess is that I won't have any trouble getting a ticket..

Old 07-10-2015, 05:11 PM

144 posts, read 270,845 times
It's too bad the Cardinals left town back in the day. I wonder if they would have stayed this entire time if there would still be a northside/southside dynamic to football fandom in this city. I'd imagine the Cardinals would be in the AFC north.

On a side note, Daley absolutely could have brought the Cardinals back in the early 2000s. There was a concept plan to build an 80,000 seat retractable roof stadium, (which would have been far more affordable in that economy) either near McCormick Place or in Cicero near the Speedway, that the Bears and Cardinals would have shared. Instead, he took the shortsighted way out and turned Soldier Field into one of the NFL's most underwhelming stadiums.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post
It's too bad the Cardinals left town back in the day. I wonder if they would have stayed this entire time if there would still be a northside/southside dynamic to football fandom in this city. I'd imagine the Cardinals would be in the AFC north.

On a side note, Daley absolutely could have brought the Cardinals back in the early 2000s. There was a concept plan to build an 80,000 seat retractable roof stadium, (which would have been far more affordable in that economy) either near McCormick Place or in Cicero near the Speedway, that the Bears and Cardinals would have shared. Instead, he took the shortsighted way out and turned Soldier Field into one of the NFL's most underwhelming stadiums.
The Chicago Cardinals are a bit like the baseball Boston Braves--long forgotten, since they both moved in the '50s and have moved yet again in the past half-century..

Old 07-11-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH3Flatlander View Post

while they were clearly the "second team" in town, i believe the real reason the Cardinals moved was tied into issues like the contract that the NFL had with CBS and its ability to broadcast both Bear and Card games. also, the move occurred at the time the AFL was created and the league wanted to protect the St. Louis market so it wouldn't get any AFL franchise.

the moving of the Cards took place basically on the cusp of the NFL becoming a truly major league which many people consider happening with the result of the 1958 Giants-Colts championship game.

I'd say if the Cards had stayed, they had a good chance of making it. certainly if that meant a Bears/Cards public stadium being built.

I've often wondered if the team was hurt by the name "Cardinals".

Old 07-13-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
while they were clearly the "second team" in town, i believe the real reason the Cardinals moved was tied into issues like the contract that the NFL had with CBS and its ability to broadcast both Bear and Card games. also, the move occurred at the time the AFL was created and the league wanted to protect the St. Louis market so it wouldn't get any AFL franchise.

the moving of the Cards took place basically on the cusp of the NFL becoming a truly major league which many people consider happening with the result of the 1958 Giants-Colts championship game.

I'd say if the Cards had stayed, they had a good chance of making it. certainly if that meant a Bears/Cards public stadium being built.

I've often wondered if the team was hurt by the name "Cardinals".
You could also try finding a Cleveland Rams fan from the 1940s, to see if he was upset by his team moving to LA after winning an NFL title in 1945. We forget that this relocation stuff has been going on since..forever.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:43 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
If I'm in Chicago again this fall, maybe I'll take in a game at Northwestern. My guess is that I won't have any trouble getting a ticket..
Northwestern has actually been pretty decent in recent years. You probably won't have difficulty getting tickets for games outside of the Big Ten, but it can be harder to get tickets against Big Ten teams, especially since Ryan Field is small. The place is cozy, and you can sit much closer than nosebleed seats at, say, Wisconsin or Michigan. The atmosphere at Ryan Field is decidedly less buzzing compared to the larger Big Ten school stadiums, though.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You could also try finding a Cleveland Rams fan from the 1940s, to see if he was upset by his team moving to LA after winning an NFL title in 1945. We forget that this relocation stuff has been going on since..forever.
unless i'm mistaken, the NFL & Rams' move to LA coincided with threat previous to the AFL in the form of the old AAFC (All American Football Conference) which brought in the west coast market (LA Dons and SF 49ers) in competition with the NFL (which didn't place a franchise in SF but only LA). when the AAFC collapsed, the NFL drew in 3 franchises: 49ers, Browns, Colts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago