Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times

Advertisements

Did I miss this in earlier posts?:
How does the length of the new expanded school year and school day compare with other districts?
Is it still shorter, about the same or now longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 09:57 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
And where was this outrage when Daley was in office?
My understanding is that Rahm has ties to the private ("charter" or whatever you want to call it) education industry and is attempting to weaken, dismantle and privatize as much of public education as he can. I don't believe Daley had that same agenda, or if he did he was much sneakier about it, apparently.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:01 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Did I miss this in earlier posts?:
How does the length of the new expanded school year and school day compare with other districts?
Is it still shorter, about the same or now longer?
Good question.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Keep in mind that to actually make that amount would reflect 14 years of experience and a Master's degree.
I'm not sure that matters. It is the average. Some make more, some make less.

Are CTU teachers more experienced and qualified than in other major cities?

Old 09-12-2012, 11:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_OH View Post
Karen Lewis is awesome, and has the full support of Chicagoland organized labor.

The thing is, she's tough, and won't be pushed around. Rahm is a bully and thug. The only way you deal with a thug who's throwing punches is to fight back.

Karen Lewis is doing her job, and doing it well.
Maybe as a negotiator. As the PR spokesperson she's doing absolutely nothing but turning the public away from the teachers - and fast. Yesterday was only the 2nd day of the strike and you could sit and watch it happen every time she did anything. People talking on the streets, people being interviewed, parents speaking on this site, even the newscasters. Someone needs to get her a** off the camera for the teachers sake.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:32 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Regardless of those this ends, you can stick another nail in the CPS and another black eye on the city's image:

Chicago teachers union official: ‘This could be a long strike’
Updated: 28 minutes ago

Chicago Teachers Union Vice President Jesse Sharkey, before entering Wednesday’s negotiations, said there was “no way’’ talks would wrap up Wednesday and that if the school board doesn’t move more in its position, “this could be a long strike.’’

Old 09-12-2012, 12:19 PM

382 posts, read 824,902 times
Any way you slice it, $76,000 per year for working 9 months out of the year is a great salary in Chicago. Nobody is saying teaching in Chicago is easy. But demanding pay increases in these economic times is seen by many, many people as greedy. Countless people in the private sector have not had even 3% pay increases since the collapse in 2008. The taxpayers cannot handle the increases needed to support the higher pay, and most of them make less for working 12 months out of the year that the teachers make in 9 months of work. The City is broke, the people are broke. A strike is bad for the children and Rahm should stand his ground.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:45 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,618,797 times
I don't understand being mad at the public sector employees who want a decent working wage comparable to their experience instead of blaming the public sector for paying you poorly. Your anger is misplaced.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:50 PM

413 posts, read 832,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I don't understand being mad at the public sector employees who want a decent working wage comparable to their experience instead of blaming the public sector for paying you poorly. Your anger is misplaced.
A lot of this comes down to a basic disagreement over facts. I don't know many that would say $76,000 is not a decent working wage. Yet I guess there seems to be some disagreement over whether $76,000 is the average salary or not.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:41 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Teachers do have a good working wage in Chicago. The fierce competition amongst teachers to get into CPS, despite the many challenges the school system faces, attests to that.

Any anger likely stems from the fact that the teachers are paid out of tax dollars. So its not irrational for taxpayers who make less than the median teacher to have some resentment towards them on this issue. Given the CPS budget issues, the teachers 'win' will come at the expense of the rest of Chicago's residents.

I know from a few teachers I have spoken to, that the salary issue was really lower on the list for why they authorized the strike vote. They also didn't really agree with the CTU salary demands, but viewed it as a bargaining chip. However, by not explicitly stating that CTU agrees with the more than reasonable salary increase on the table now, I think they will quickly lose the PR war the longer this goes on. Especially with Karen Lewis the public face of their union.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago