Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:10 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by facebookdigg123 View Post
why do they call the area south of 55th the golden rectangle?
It's the area closest to the University..lots of turn of the century , very stately homes. interesting rowhouses and townhouses..newer not as interesting townhouse developments from the original urban renewal efforts .. U of C encourages faculty to live in this area ..Plus a nice mix of 6 Flats ( almost all condo unless the University manages them), Ray School ... Next to Kenwood, the highest price housing in HP as far as single family homes and townhouses go ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I agree with you about Cottage Grove and 47th St. Those streets are the borders of the Hyde Park neighborhood. The rest is a cakewalk, IMO.
The area of 47th and a few blocks north from Lake Park to , say about Ellis has improved 1000% from 25-30 years ago ..I have fellow alum and some non U of C affiliated co-workers that live in that area ..some stuff from West /Northwest of there does spill over occasionally .. For the unitiated, I'd say OK during the day, be wary at night if you're not familiar with the area and are not with someone who is .. U of C Police patrol up to 43rd street now
For other parts of Hyde Park , the areas you mentioned are fine for those with a bit of street smarts, urban orientation. That area as well has improved a bit in recent years , and having the Presdients block nearby in Kenwood adds a bit to security in the area ..

Old 09-03-2012, 06:38 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
It does help tremendously that UofC police patrol all of Hyde Park and Kenwood. No offense to the CPD, but they just can't put enough patrol cars on the streets to deter all of the spillover crime that Hyde Park could be affected by, being surrounded by such high crime neighborhoods. Actually, UofC police go all the way from 37th to 65th now.

http://safety-security.uchicago.edu/police/

Old 09-03-2012, 08:08 PM

Wow..37th street ... There was , back in the day , a controversy within the communities when some asked for them to expand their patrol boundaries ..it was a particularly sensitive area between U of C and T W O ( The Woodlawn Organization).. coupled in general with suspicion about the University's plans for South Campus .. Now that the CPD 21st District was absorbed, It's more helpful .. I wonder if the call boxes have been implemented throughout .. I thought I saw one on 46th street ..
What some don't realize is that U of C Police have full Police powers .. they're not just 'campus security' ..and it does make one wonder what the area would be like without the extra police presence .. I know they're who we called first when we needed that sort of service ..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:18 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,729 times
I wondered about that. If someone broke into your car or vandalized your home in Hyde Park, but you had nothing at all to do with the UofC, could you call the UofC police to deal with it instead of the CPD?

Cleveland has a neighborhood called University Circle that's just like Hyde Park, a 1 sq. mile oasis of culture and education surrounded by some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. They've come up with a unique approach to keep the community safe. Forty institutions in UC pay for a neighborhood police department to supplement the Cleveland Police.

Live Here - Service - University Circle Police Department | University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District

Old 09-03-2012, 08:25 PM

If they were in the act of vandalizing, breaking into a car , or worse, a house , by all means .. If you came home and discovered a break in or vandalism after the fact, they'd probably refer you to the CPD whether you were U of C connected or not . They might send someone to check . If you're being /just been attacked, robbed , etc .. they're not going to ask your University affiliation before they respond, and they sure as hell won't if something's in progress .. for situations like that , they'll notify CPD about the situation and it's usually a joint response .. They're sworn officers ..

Old 09-04-2012, 11:47 AM

644 posts, read 1,187,786 times
The university's recommendation is to call UCPD first, and then CPD after you're finished with the first call. UCPD has excellent response times (usually within a couple minutes). As for university affiliation, I don't think that really matters. There have been multiple security alerts emailed to students over the last few years that report crimes against non-affiliated people in Hyde Park. The goal of UCPD is to improve the safety of the entire neighborhood, not just those people affiliated with the university. Part of the university's future depends on it being located in a safe neighborhood, and UCPD is determined to keep it that way.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:00 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It does help tremendously that UofC police patrol all of Hyde Park and Kenwood. No offense to the CPD, but they just can't put enough patrol cars on the streets to deter all of the spillover crime that Hyde Park could be affected by, being surrounded by such high crime neighborhoods. Actually, UofC police go all the way from 37th to 65th now.

Department of Safety and Security | The University of Chicago
If Hyde Park someday goes all the way from 37th to 65th, that will be a big improvement.

I am old enough to remember students walking down the middle of the street carrying baseball bats to get home from late night study sessions at the library.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:02 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
I wondered about that. If someone broke into your car or vandalized your home in Hyde Park, but you had nothing at all to do with the UofC, could you call the UofC police to deal with it instead of the CPD?

Cleveland has a neighborhood called University Circle that's just like Hyde Park, a 1 sq. mile oasis of culture and education surrounded by some of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. They've come up with a unique approach to keep the community safe. Forty institutions in UC pay for a neighborhood police department to supplement the Cleveland Police.

Live Here - Service - University Circle Police Department | University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture, Education & Medical District
University Circle doesn't have as large an established residential area as Hyde Park, so it's more vulnerable. I've lived in both and Hyde Park is better, although a tiny part of University Circle along Ford and Bellflower Roads and East Boulevard is as pretty as any American city gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago