Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvparkrez11 View Post
That's a pretty good area, only far removed from downtown. There's no train near that neighborhood that runs to downtown, so your only bet is driving downtown through I-57.
Unless you feel like taking the Metra Rock Island train which has something like 5 stations within in Beverly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,512,756 times
Quote:
There's no train near that neighborhood that runs to downtown
Unless you count the Rock Island Metra at 91st, 95th, 99th, 103rd, 107th, and the CTA red line stop at the Dan Ryan and 95th, about 2 miles east of Ashland.

Stop giving advice already.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
Unless you feel like taking the Metra Rock Island train which has something like 5 stations within in Beverly.
Leroyed.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
As others have said, $300k for a single family home within 20 minutes drive (without traffic) of the Loop will be VERY hard. Now, if you said townhome or condo, then you could do it in some areas. You'd be surprised actually. Single family homes in Chicago are pretty expensive though....

Old 08-29-2012, 08:39 PM

117 posts, read 302,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
the CTA red line stop at the Dan Ryan and 95th, about 2 miles east of Ashland.
Why would you walk at least 2 miles to a train station that's not even that safe? Convenience and safety, man, have you ever heard of such a thing?

Sorry, I forgot to mention the Metra. But it may or may not be convenient for you to use the Metra depending on where in downtown you'll want to go. The Metra ends at LaSalle street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
That's a condo, not a SFH. Its pretty much impossible to find a SFH under 300k close to the Loop.

Here are all SFH under 300k currently on the market. The few that are close enough to the Loop look like dumpy foreclosures.
http://www.redfin.com/homes-for-sale...8&zoomLevel=13
It's listed as a SFH though. I'd look into it anyways.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:47 PM

13 posts, read 29,789 times
It sounds like a great place. I won't be needing public transportation, so that won't be a problem.

I'm really starting to see how hard it might be to find a house in Chicago, within my budget. I might end up getting a realtor, and maybe look at some condos or townhouses too. I thought homes in Chicago would be significantly cheaper than Seattle; I was wrong.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Convenience and safety, man, have you ever heard of such a thing?
And have you ever heard of a "bus"? Like the 95th st bus?

And as far as safety..... huh? The dangerous sidewalk of 95th st in Beverly? And some people enjoy things like walking for 2 miles, or even riding a bicycle to a train.

You don't seem to have a grasp on how people get around, or very little else concerning this city. So for a third time, please stop giving advice - especially on such life-impacting decisions on where to move. Read more, post less, as they say.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:04 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtestify View Post

I'm really starting to see how hard it might be to find a house in Chicago, within my budget. I might end up getting a realtor, and maybe look at some condos or townhouses too. I thought homes in Chicago would be significantly cheaper than Seattle; I was wrong.
Yeah, well within your needs maybe. The drive from Beverly (which is a good area) is probably 25 minutes to the Loop if you're going to the SW corner of the Loop. Less of course if you speed.

Of course, there's many houses in Chicago for $300k, but the problem is finding one within your needs and in a good neighborhood. I could find you a house in Englewood easily within your budget, but you are not going to want to live in Englewood.

There are houses out there, trust me. Just have to find them in the ok neighborhoods.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:36 PM

117 posts, read 302,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
And have you ever heard of a "bus"? Like the 95th st bus?

And as far as safety..... huh? The dangerous sidewalk of 95th st in Beverly? And some people enjoy things like walking for 2 miles, or even riding a bicycle to a train.
I'm sorry, but you want this middle-class man (I'm assuming), dressed in a nice suit, to walk into a dangerous station and possibly get robbed at gunpoint? Are you an idiot? Do you know where 95th/Dan Ryan is?

mtestify, sir, if you are going to move to Beverly, please take the Metra or drive to downtown, because (as most Chicagoans should know ), Red line past 35th Street is dangerous.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cta-red-line...tation-chicago

http://thesixthward.blogspot.com/201...treet-red.html

Old 08-29-2012, 09:39 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,316,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, well within your needs maybe. The drive from Beverly (which is a good area) is probably 25 minutes to the Loop if you're going to the SW corner of the Loop. Less of course if you speed.

Of course, there's many houses in Chicago for $300k, but the problem is finding one within your needs and in a good neighborhood. I could find you a house in Englewood easily within your budget, but you are not going to want to live in Englewood.

There are houses out there, trust me. Just have to find them in the ok neighborhoods.
Right. I think places like Irving Park, Avondale, Logan Square are solid options and still very urban and really in the city. The commutes aren't bad either. From Avondale with zero traffic, it's like a 10-15 minute drive on I94 to the Loop. Problem is 80% of the time there will be traffic. From Avondale, the blue line from Belmont to clark and lake (which is the first downtown stop of the blue line) is only about 20 minutes from stop to stop.

There are plenty of options in Chicago, so either you will have to change your needs or go further out downtown. Sometimes less is more. My cousin and her husband had a single family home in Ravenswood, and sold that and moved to a town home in LP, and it's so much more worth it. Less time maintaining the yard and what not, and more time to explore the city.

With a budget of 300k, you will find stuff, just don't expect to be close to downtown nor anything like Lincoln Park or the Gold Coast. The northwest side might be a good option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago