Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:21 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times

Advertisements

I prefer the city being more low key. We're like the sarcastic straight man to NYC and L.A.'s wacky co-stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 04:29 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
We still have the third largest media market in the country. That's all that matters.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Two words: Tribune Company.
two words...

Mob Wives

Old 09-01-2012, 03:51 PM

303 posts, read 579,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchi60630 View Post
I will re-iterate the above poster's statement about how many fashion centers could there be in 1 country? I would disagree that chicago needs more media prescence... Another reality shock show about well to do yuppymeisters and their so called lives? Mind poison. What purpose would it serve? How would that boost chicagoans lives? lol its not like its high school, its not a popularity contest either. Doesn't our distinct variety of architecture speak volumes albeit silently? Kinda like all of our extensive transportation infrastructure? Or to some extent our city's prohibition and gangster related past? As a chicagoan i kinda like it when were off the radar and not so high profile to outsiders. I like that they have to see for themselves what chicago is and draw their own conclusions and make up their own minds... idk this is the confidence that i walk with knowing where im from, but i dont have to inform everybody about it, even when i travel international...

A city's greatness isnt defined by non-resident opinion, rather by the blood sweat and tears and silent efforts of those who call their city home, or spend time away from their loved ones to make a difference for others, or apply their craft to expand culture. Chicago is the city that works, an alpha+ global city. Our influence reaches out in many places since its the financial, commodities,and air/rail transportation epicenter of mid-america. idk many people probably use a good or service they wouldn't think twice that had something to do with chicago. But to me thats ok since i accept that ignorance doesnt make us any less of a city...

I will agree with one thing that i did read on that urbanophile link, how chicago, once a dance music pioneer with house music has lost its former touch, and how most of those former dance fanatics are now 30 somethin with kids and families. I remember a time before mayor daley shut down the club scene tons of gen xers would be out club hopping into the AM before anyone knew what an 'afterparty' or 'goin HAM' or what 'YOLO ' was... heh... such good times! i hate how he's right about midwesterners just like to sit around and drink a bunch.... :::smh::
True.My father grew up in the House music era,and to this day he still plays it.My father told me how rush street was back in the day.Actually I went to a House Party fest in Washington Park.Allot of 30 and 40 year olds with their family.It was a nice experience.
With media presence, it actually helps with the local economy. It help with putting money back into the city from tourisism. In todays society, media is powerful and very influential.This could be good or bad, depends on how you look at it. When certain cities are shown on the screen,thats pretty much advertisement for the city.

Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Chaser View Post
True.My father grew up in the House music era,and to this day he still plays it.My father told me how rush street was back in the day.Actually I went to a House Party fest in Washington Park.Allot of 30 and 40 year olds with their family.It was a nice experience.
With media presence, it actually helps with the local economy. It help with putting money back into the city from tourisism. In todays society, media is powerful and very influential.This could be good or bad, depends on how you look at it. When certain cities are shown on the screen,thats pretty much advertisement for the city.
I remeber reading an article about how the Hip hop/r&b scene in Atlanta helped generate $1 billion to Geogia's economy.

I don't see why any media presence would hurt, and plus it brings jobs. Not only for the singer and actors but for lighting, cameramen, even down to the person sweeping the floor.

EDIT: Im not sure if it's exactly $1 billion but I know the figure was a lot

Last edited by mas23; 09-01-2012 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-01-2012, 05:50 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Las Vegas and Miami? Are you high? Those don't come anywhere close to Chicago in terms of media presence/influence.
Miami does especially when you focus on the spanish speaking media presence since both Telemundo and Univision have studios there and are based there.

Not to mention the fact that many celebrities have second and/or third homes there.

That being said though when you focus on how many talk shows are filmed in Chicago (such as Oprah) and on how many movies/tv shows were set and/or filmed here, it is safe to say that Chicago carries a cetrain amount of clout regarding media presence.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Miami does especially when you focus on the spanish speaking media presence since both Telemundo and Univision have studios there and are based there.

Not to mention the fact that many celebrities have second and/or third homes there.
I didn't think about the Spanish language stations. That's a good point. I don't think celebrities' second and third homes have much to do with it, though. Aspen and Palm Springs aren't major media centers.

Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 PM

4,619 posts, read 8,169,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
New York is NOT smaller than Chicago....typo?
obviously. time-limited editing is annoying.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:35 PM

103 posts, read 302,153 times
I think that Chicago (as in the government of Chicago) have done a really poor job highlighting the qualities of this city. I just got here 6 months ago due to my job and to be honest I didnt knew what to expect. Other job destinations for me where Dallas, LA, and NY and I knew what all those cities where all about, partly because of the media and partly because my job had me travel to those cities for conventions, conferences and/or seminars.

Media IMO is important in the sense that it projects how a destination is perceived. Low key is not good enough if you are trying to bring companies, corporations into your area. You have to be out there letting people know why it should be good for me to bring business here. As a matter fact my company is considering moving out of the city to the "burbs" because we are not getting the proverbial "bang for the buck" by being in the city.

IMO Chicago is under selling itself, its such a great city, I came here with really low expectations and a stereotypical mindset because I didnt knew what to expect and I have been completely taken a back, to the point that my wife (who hates big city living) wants me to buy property here.

Hopefully that changes overtime but from the looks of someone from the outside... the politics in this city has to much of a handle on what the future of it will become. Not a good sign.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunch View Post
I think that Chicago (as in the government of Chicago) have done a really poor job highlighting the qualities of this city. I just got here 6 months ago due to my job and to be honest I didnt knew what to expect. Other job destinations for me where Dallas, LA, and NY and I knew what all those cities where all about, partly because of the media and partly because my job had me travel to those cities for conventions, conferences and/or seminars.

Media IMO is important in the sense that it projects how a destination is perceived. Low key is not good enough if you are trying to bring companies, corporations into your area. You have to be out there letting people know why it should be good for me to bring business here. As a matter fact my company is considering moving out of the city to the "burbs" because we are not getting the proverbial "bang for the buck" by being in the city.

IMO Chicago is under selling itself, its such a great city, I came here with really low expectations and a stereotypical mindset because I didnt knew what to expect and I have been completely taken a back, to the point that my wife (who hates big city living) wants me to buy property here.

Hopefully that changes overtime but from the looks of someone from the outside... the politics in this city has to much of a handle on what the future of it will become. Not a good sign.
I think seeing it from this point of view is more understandable to me of why people are critical of the media presence here. A lot of people that haven't been to Chicago that I've talked to don't realize what Chicago offers or how great of a city it really is. Tourism is there in the city but I think more media and more advertisement of what this great city offers would give others an idea of what Chicago really is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago