Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM

184 posts, read 370,467 times

Advertisements

how bad is traffic on a Weds morning coming into downtown Chicago from Kenosha?
I need to be Greyhound by 10:30a. Should I take I-94 the entire way? How long might
this route take? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 05:42 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by discndav View Post
I need to be Greyhound by 10:30a. Should I take I-94 the entire way? How long might
this route take? Thanks.
I would bet on 2 hours to get there atleast.Traffic in Chicago should be clear or clearing around 9:00 but that is quite a distance. If you are not picking someone up, I would suggest taking Metra and then bussing it or cabbing it from there.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,923,075 times
Quote:
this route take? Thanks.
Why not take the train? I work with a few guys who live in Kenosha who commute downtown (probably Union Station) 3 days a week. The entire thing is like 90 minutes. You won't have to worry about traffic.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:38 PM

driving to pick up a passenger in Chicago and heading to Joliet afterwards.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM

185 posts, read 594,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Why not take the train? I work with a few guys who live in Kenosha who commute downtown (probably Union Station) 3 days a week. The entire thing is like 90 minutes. You won't have to worry about traffic.
The train from Kenosha is on the Metra UP North Line which goes into the Ogilvie Transit Center (which is a couple of blocks north of Union Station). It is walkable: Walk South on Clinton to Harrison and turn right (west) about a block to the Greyhound station. It's about 3/4 mile. Or as chirack suggested, you could take a taxi or a bus. (Route 60 Blue Island/26th goes south on Clinton and then turns on Harrison and stops in front of the Greyhound station. Note that there is a temporary reroute in effect.)

Amtrak also has trains from Sturtevant (between Racine and I-94) that operate into Union Station, which is about 3 blocks from the Greyhound station.

If you are planning to take a bus, let me warn you that the Greyhound terminal is not exactly overstaffed. If you have to pick up a ticket or get a tag for your luggage, expect to wait in a very long line, so get there early.
=======================
Sorry, discndav, didn't see your response before I posted this.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:25 PM

is taking 41/Lake Shore Dr a good alternative to I-94? I saw the southbound traffic today while going north, it was bad!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
is taking 41/Lake Shore Dr a good alternative to I-94? I saw the southbound traffic today while going north, it was bad!
Yeah it can be at times, but honestly the Dan Ryan(I90/I 94 going south) does not have the same traffic issuses as I90/ I94 on the northside Kennedy. The Kennedy can get congested at the drop of an hat, Dan Ryan pretty much only during rushhour. You will run into traffic at the circle interchange at all times due to the fact that so many expressways meet there but otherwise no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago